• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimps in my intake

rolexbene

Bought a load of RCS a few weeks ago and they have been doing great, go about 3 so far with eggs and looks like more are on there way, so hoping this is a good sign of a healthy tank...
Today when cleaning the tank out I noticed that one of them had been sucked on to the inlet of the filter intake and had died, then later I came home to find another one gone in the same way. The culprit is a 13mm glass slotted intake pipe, obviously in terms of ascetics, I am not keen to put a stocking/tights over my beautiful glassware, is their anything else I can do to stop the shrimps getting massacred? Also what are the chances of 2-3 weeks of them being fine, then all of a sudden two in one day??? :thumbdown:

frothhelmet said:
turn down the flow rate?

HERESY Be Gone !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Come on G, you know flow is the Holy Grail of planted aquaria hehehe. (apparently).

frothhelmet said:
wow, all i did was make a suggestion. i didnt expect the fan-fish inquisition :twisted:

Hahaha, you should be stoned for thinking that ! :woot: Next thing you will be suggesting foam around a nice expensive glass intake !!! :lol: :lol:

Antipofish said:
frothhelmet said:
wow, all i did was make a suggestion. i didnt expect the fan-fish inquisition :twisted:

Hahaha, you should be stoned for thinking that ! :woot: Next thing you will be suggesting foam around a nice expensive glass intake !!! :lol: :lol:

Was just going to suggest such a thing myself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local fish shop has cylinders of mesh around the filter intake pipes, made from rectangles of "gardening mesh" sown together in cylinders.

Whilst not the most beautiful item, does appear to allow the shrimps to move around the intake cleaning up debris sucked up by the filter.

ian_m said:
My local fish shop has cylinders of mesh around the filter intake pipes, made from rectangles of "gardening mesh" sown together in cylinders.

Whilst not the most beautiful item, does appear to allow the shrimps to move around the intake cleaning up debris sucked up by the filter.

Good Idea. You must be able to get some kind of clear mesh...... THINKS ALOUD..... Hah ! I have got it ! The answer ! You need a plastic sieve. Cut the mesh out from the frame and use that :p :p :p

Man I amaze even myself at my ingenuity sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol: :geek: :geek: :geek:

Great thanks for all the advice, for the time being I have used a bit of netting from my partners fancy dress tutu, seems to be doing the trick, just a shame that you spend so much money on glassware and then have to modify it.

Yes I agree with Paulo on metal mesh intake as best option but careful with some powerful filters as they may have too harsh sucking force and shimplets can get glued to it.

Back