• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wordpress - New Site

Re: Wordpress

ok follow these instructions (pretty closely although you're content will be slightly different due to a different theme)

goto appearance > editor.
select tag.php on the right (tags template)

inside that file look for something very similar to this block of code below

Code:
<header class="page-header">
					<h1 class="page-title"><?php
						printf( __( 'Tag Archives: %s', 'twentyeleven' ), '<span>' . single_tag_title( '', false ) . '</span>' );
					?></h1>

<?php
						$tag_description = tag_description();
						if ( ! empty( $tag_description ) )
							echo apply_filters( 'tag_archive_meta', '<div class="tag-archive-meta">' . $tag_description . '</div>' );
					?>
				</header>

In you're case you're looking for the block of code surrounding a line that will contain the key words "Archive for the"
in my example above you can see my line is like this
Code:
printf( __( 'Tag Archives: %s', 'twentyeleven' ), '<span>' . single_tag_title( '', false ) . '</span>' );
The key phrase I searched for was "Tag Archives"
find the <div> and </div> code that is surrounding everything again in my example above its <header class="page-header"> and </div>.
Select it all including the div tags and delete then resave the template.

This should have removed your headers (assuming the pages are generated by tags not cats which is what mine does for some reason)
If it doesn't then do the above but this time in "category template" category.php

If you're still struggling let me know and I'll make you a quick tutorial video showing how to do it

I knew it....no tag or category php....other google searches have pointed to the Archive.php, but I can't seem to find what I should be looking for in there...

found this in the Archive.php

Code:
<?php $post = $posts[0]; // Hack. Set $post so that the_date() works. ?>
<?php /* If this is a category archive */ if (is_category()) { ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php printf(__('Archive for the &#8216;%s&#8217; Category', 'kubrick'), single_cat_title('', false)); ?></h2>
<?php /* If this is a tag archive */ } elseif( is_tag() ) { ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php printf(__('Posts Tagged &#8216;%s&#8217;', 'kubrick'), single_tag_title('', false) ); ?></h2>
<?php /* If this is a daily archive */ } elseif (is_day()) { ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php printf(_c('Archive for %s|Daily archive page', 'kubrick'), get_the_time(__('F jS, Y', 'kubrick'))); ?></h2>
<?php /* If this is a monthly archive */ } elseif (is_month()) { ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php printf(_c('Archive for %s|Monthly archive page', 'kubrick'), get_the_time(__('F, Y', 'kubrick'))); ?></h2>
<?php /* If this is a yearly archive */ } elseif (is_year()) { ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php printf(_c('Archive for %s|Yearly archive page', 'kubrick'), get_the_time(__('Y', 'kubrick'))); ?></h2>
<?php /* If this is an author archive */ } elseif (is_author()) { ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php _e('Author Archive', 'kubrick'); ?></h2>
<?php /* If this is a paged archive */ } elseif (isset($_GET['paged']) && !empty($_GET['paged'])) { ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php _e('Blog Archives', 'kubrick'); ?></h2>
<?php } ?>

Think this might be it....

ok badly designed theme you're using then since tbh category and tags should always be separate from the archive.

try deleting this line

<h2 class="pagetitle"><?php printf(__('Archive for the &#8216;%s&#8217; Category', 'kubrick'), single_cat_title('', false)); ?></h2>

and saving it.

should remove the headings for you but leave the true archive page headings in place for you.

hinch said:
ok badly designed theme you're using then since tbh category and tags should always be separate from the archive.

That would explain why I couldn't find the reference's from my original google.

Fixed, thanks very much that's removed the heading's, looks much better.....I think all of this has been donated by someone, I removed both 'ADS' in the sidebars....the left hand one is back :twisted:

Very grateful for your help....all I have to do now is write a brief how to for everyone....fortunately I can do that with the wife, because if she can understand it, anyone can. :lol:

the ads block may be inheriting from either parent or sub page ownerships.

check the individual pages make sure none of them are set to custom themeing or have any override/css set on them.
if you allow everything to be controlled by the parent theme you should be good.

also check your sub pages don't implement custom menus ie rest of your site is using menu1 and you have the odd page running menu3 :)

hinch said:
the ads block may be inheriting from either parent or sub page ownerships.

check the individual pages make sure none of them are set to custom themeing or have any override/css set on them.
if you allow everything to be controlled by the parent theme you should be good.

also check your sub pages don't implement custom menus ie rest of your site is using menu1 and you have the odd page running menu3 :)

Well had a look, nothing seems to jump out, I'm guessing that whoever installed WP has done very little else since, from what I know from the wife, a teacher from Turkey has set this up.

Anyway I'm done, just the how to for the teachers using it.

:thumbup: Again many thanks for your help, much appreciated, oh! and the wife thinks the new layout it much better, easier to navigate. :rolleyes:

With all the help I received over this I thought I would update....for some unknown reason the original site in Romania was first suspended then closed...no one knows why.
So I had to start from scratch using some of my own web space, which also mean't registering a new domain, initially I used a theme from d5 creation, having spent time setting it up and editing when the wife came back from Poland she didn't like it... :twisted: 'too colourful'....so found another theme from wpzoom. Using Firefox and Firebug have been able to edit/remove (using Notepad ++) various 'bits' of the theme I don't want....and the wife's happy :clap:

The site is still very much on going as some of the countries have yet to add their content, but I must say the theme is very versatile offering a number of layout options. http://www.comeniusfriends.eu The Wordpress learning curve has been quite fun really.

Geoff

Back