• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt' Journal finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900... Inline C02.

Antipofish said:
Hi Ady. If it goes off that soon before lights out, what colour is the DC at lights out ? Is it still lime ?
Hi Chris,
yeah its still lime, maybe a little darker than before c02 off. The tank needs time to degas, and the dc is a couple of hours behind this so its not a reflective reading im sure.... add this to the fact that the fish are much more active and hungry about an hour after c02 off leads me to believe it degasses considerably within an hour or so after c02 off.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Antipofish said:
Hi Ady. If it goes off that soon before lights out, what colour is the DC at lights out ? Is it still lime ?
Hi Chris,
yeah its still lime, maybe a little darker than before c02 off. The tank needs time to degas, and the dc is a couple of hours behind this so its not a reflective reading im sure.... add this to the fact that the fish are much more active and hungry about an hour after c02 off leads me to believe it degasses considerably within an hour or so after c02 off.
Cheerio,
Ady.

If only we could work out the lag time of a DC. I am sure you worked out the point I was getting at is "Is there still enough CO2 available towards the end of the photoperiod?"

Antipofish said:
I am sure you worked out the point I was getting at is "Is there still enough CO2 available towards the end of the photoperiod?"
Oh, yeah im sure there is, the plants ease off towards the end of the photoperiod and to be honest the highest point of pearling is funnily the hour before lights off :? .
Clive stated somewhere that you can turn off the gas between 2 and 5hrs before the end of the photoperiod as long as you have lime green dc for lights on when the plants need it most. I know you cant believe everything you hear... but with the Ceg, id bet money on it! ;)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Clive stated somewhere that you can turn off the gas between 2 and 5hrs before the end of the photoperiod as long as you have lime green dc for lights on when the plants need it most.
Hi Chris, heres the quote from clive:
"Set the timer so that the CO2 comes on, say, 90-120 minutes before the lights come on. That allows you to saturate the water with CO2 before the uptake demand starts. When the light goes on, if there is sufficient CO2, photosynthesis can begin at peak efficiency immediately. Then, set the timer so that the CO2 shuts down anywhere between 2-5 hours before lights go out. CO2 is critical in the morning but less so in the afternoon. This strategy allows you to use much higher injection rates - but be careful in setting the rate so that you don't gas your fish."
Ive just recently been reading about lowest lighting levels for plants, the Light Compensation Point - LCP, in another thread and this came up so it was fresh in my mind..... im not turning into a UKAPS geek..... :geek: ...... maybe a little!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Ady34 said:
Clive stated somewhere that you can turn off the gas between 2 and 5hrs before the end of the photoperiod as long as you have lime green dc for lights on when the plants need it most.
Hi Chris, heres the quote from clive:
"Set the timer so that the CO2 comes on, say, 90-120 minutes before the lights come on. That allows you to saturate the water with CO2 before the uptake demand starts. When the light goes on, if there is sufficient CO2, photosynthesis can begin at peak efficiency immediately. Then, set the timer so that the CO2 shuts down anywhere between 2-5 hours before lights go out. CO2 is critical in the morning but less so in the afternoon. This strategy allows you to use much higher injection rates - but be careful in setting the rate so that you don't gas your fish."
Ive just recently been reading about lowest lighting levels for plants, the Light Compensation Point - LCP, in another thread and this came up so it was fresh in my mind..... im not turning into a UKAPS geek..... :geek: ...... maybe a little!
Cheerio,
Ady.

How on earth does morning and afternoon apply in a fish tank ? Do the plants get used to the length of photoperiod and adjust their "daytime clock" accordingly ? Does the fact that it is daylight or the room lights are on but not the tank lights affect this at all ? Some people have 6 hour photoperiods and others 10 hours. How do the plants work out what is morning and afternoon, that being the case ? Now you have opened up a whole world of questions and confused me more, LOL. Aaarghh....

Antipofish said:
How on earth does morning and afternoon apply in a fish tank ? Do the plants get used to the length of photoperiod and adjust their "daytime clock" accordingly ? Does the fact that it is daylight or the room lights are on but not the tank lights affect this at all ? Some people have 6 hour photoperiods and others 10 hours. How do the plants work out what is morning and afternoon, that being the case ? Now you have opened up a whole world of questions and confused me more, LOL. Aaarghh....
Hi Chris, i think morning and afternoon is based purely on the tank photoperiod, not our daytime periods. The morning/afternoon analogy is used for us to distinguish between the time periods, with the 'afternoon' meaning later in the photoperiod when the plants naturally slow their uptake rates, although i have often wondered about the effect sunlight has on the tank before lights on (my lights dont come on till 3 in the afternoon and go off at 11pm so i can enjoy the tank, and the room is naturally quite bright). I think the plants get used to whatever photoperiod you set and are programmed to uptake nutrients to make food when the lights come on... or the sun rises in nature, (afterall plants come from all over the world from many different time zones so there food production time will be based purely on the hours of sunlight). As for photoperiods and short and long ones, its prob what works best for you and what lighting you use, plant mass, growth rates, c02 and nutrient uptake etc. The c02 off 2-5 hours period is probably a figure associated with photoperiod length also, as with a shorter, say 6 hr photoperiod you obviously dont want to be switching your c02 off 5 hrs before lights out... but with a longer one you can get away with it. Its all proportionate i think. We need to remember that in nature the daylight hours are more like 12hr periods, including less intense sunrise/sunset times, and shading, cloud cover etc variables also. Our tanks give a constant source which needs balancing with all the other varaibles we provide.
Would be interesting to find out more about the effects of natural daylight on our tanks before the actual artificial photoperiod we provide.... if there are any other than creating a bga line along the substrate :twisted: .
Cheerio,
Ady.

Well, water change night again last night, i did a bit of trimming, and decided to remove the Hygrophila polysperma rosanervig, it was growing too fast and needed constant pruning and was too large for the central area. This has left a little gap, but given a more open feel again which is better as it looked very cluttered. There are still a few crypts in there so may just leave it and let them fill back in. Removed some Monosolenium from the right under the bolbitis too, maybe put something in there or let the hairgrass fill that in again. Balansae is chucking shoots up all over now, and in fact the whole tank is looking a little overgrown and some of the plants a little oversized.... its not what you would call 'delicate'!
Things are ticking along, but its not setting the world alight and im still feeling the urge to do something. Ive been considering setting up a nano shrimp tank, but i may be just as well rescaping this.
Anyway obligatory photos, nothing much different but ill add a splash of colour to the page. Sorry for very repetative photos but i cant seem to get decent close ups with my new camera:

feb20122586.jpg

feb20122581.jpg

feb20122585.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

still love this tank!

what are you dosing in it?? as the plants must drink the ferts like milk!

ady any chance of a full room shot just to see how it sits in the living room now, its looking cracking, cheers

davem said:
Looking really good Ady :thumbup:
HarryRobinson said:
A real jungle! Beautiful tank matey :)
Antipofish said:
Looking great Ady :thumbup:
Cheers Dave, Harry and Chris!

ianho said:
still love this tank!

what are you dosing in it?? as the plants must drink the ferts like milk!
Hi Ian, cheers, and yeah the tanks been getting like a sponge and i'd been slowly increasing my ferts until i got to 15ml/day Tropica plant nutrition+ and that got a little expensive. I dont really know if that was too little, but i didnt fancy putting more in as id have had to starve the kids to feed the plants! :lol: Ive also been dosing 2.5ml daily of easy life Potassium and 4ml/day of Flourish excel as a carbon boost. Just the other day i switched to a dry salts special n type macro mix from APFUK and am currently dosing 10ml/day of that along with 5-10ml/day normal tpn (old stock) as a micro fert until it runs out, then ive got a micro salt mix to use, again from APFUK. Im still dosing the liquid carbon and the K, i have no idea really yet at what level all of these need to be, or infact whether i still even need to dose the K? Interestingly ive immediately noticed a difference in the amount these ferts raise my conductivity reading on the G6. It rises much faster than before, and maybe suggests i dont need as much, but maybe its alot more complicated than that and depends on what ions are going in and how conductive they are???..... :crazy: Maybe ill let the plants tell me, theyre probably easier to understand!
whinnie said:
ady any chance of a full room shot just to see how it sits in the living room now, its looking cracking, cheers
HarryRobinson said:
ditto on whinnie's comment
Sure, my photography isnt up to much but heres a few to give you an idea:

feb20122589.jpg

My favourite chair!
feb20122588.jpg

feb20122587.jpg

Hope that places it for you. :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cats and Dogs. NOW you go to the top of my "cool list" hehe. (Yes I am a cat and dog lover !) That cabinet is very high gloss. I LOVE it ! is it the one that came with the tank ?

Antipofish said:
Cats and Dogs. NOW you go to the top of my "cool list" hehe. (Yes I am a cat and dog lover !)

Hi Chris,
yeah 2 cats and a dog, its like a zoo here with the fish inside and outside too! Mittens (cat) and Bowser (dog) are just chillin out after tearing up the carpet playing, Smudge (the other cat) isnt up for the shannanigans so buggers off upstairs for a quiet life!

Antipofish said:
That cabinet is very high gloss. I LOVE it ! is it the one that came with the tank ?

Yeah it came with the tank, its what attracted me to the set up really, it matches the gloss of the tv and fire.... mmm think that sounded a bit Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen! :shh: :shifty:
On that note...
cheerio,
Ady.

awtong said:
That is looking cracking. No need to apologise for photo's like that.

Andy
Thanks Andy,
i should really invest some time into researching how to get the best from my camera, but maybe for the best, i just dont have the interest in photography to start learning something new and i fear it would open up another potential moneypit!! Maybe i could ask for a few pointers in the photography section just to get some basic tips to improve slightly..... iso, shutter speed etc all makes no sense to me.... but blurry fish i dont like! :rolleyes:
I tried taking a few shots of the plants last night and managed to get a couple of decent ones so may post a few more soon.
Cheerio,
Ady.

take the ISO up to get a decent fish shot. I always have my ISO set to 800-1600, this will give you a sharp, but a little grainy capture. I found it a help to have a look at the pics i liked of flickr and have a look where it says 'what make of camera it was taken by and it'll give you all the ISO, lens mm's, F numbers etc etc.

Your tank looks fantastic Ady and it suits your room well - Bowser looks very comfortable too!

How do you find the actual tank and light? Ive looked at these online a few times and been quite tempted.

Back