• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juncus repens flowers

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi all

I ordered some Juncus repens from Tropica and they had obviously been grown emersed. They already had some flower spikes forming but over the last couple of days (I only set it up 4 days ago) the flowers have grown a fair bit.

I think they look pretty cool.

Has anyone else experienced these, and do they develop any more than this?

I was also wondering about the plant as a whole. Will allowing it to grow emersed restrict submersed growth, I wonder? Is it possible for the plant to grow in both states simultaneously, adapting as it grows out of the water?

I have to confess to being an emersed aquatic plant newbie! :oops: :oops:

7112493213_cd65f1a20a_o.jpg
juncus flowers by George Farmer, on Flickr

6966416372_f9c6668657_o.jpg
juncus1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

6966416722_5da9027d60_o.jpg
juncus2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

Gorgeous!

I have some in my 20l Dennerle - I only planted a week or two ago and they didnt have flowers like that (mine were Aquafleur from AE).

Fingers crossed thats what I end up with!

Hi all,
I've got the very similar Juncus bulbosus growing in with the insectivorous plants. I didn't plant them, so they came with either the moss or peat.

Mine "flower", but are viviparous, like these:

juncus-bulbosus-agg-4.jpg

<http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/juncaceae/juncus-bulbosus-agg.htm>

cheers Darrel

Great images they almost appear 3D, although it's a shame they aren't; I keep trying to look over and in to the first image to see what lies below. A tantalizing glimpse of your new project.

George you can't tease us with just a glimpse of the top of the tank like that !!!! What lies beneath ? I love the look of what I see though.

Hi all,
Another thing occurs from looking at the flower, I'm not sure the plant actually is Juncus repens either. I've failed to find a good picture of Juncus repens Michx., and Juncus spp. are fairly problematic to ID, but the flower looks remarkably like Juncus tenuis (or J. bufonius to which exactly the same would apply as for J. tenuis).

Juncus repens would have a broad leaf like Cyperus helferi, J. tenuis would be much thinner and more like an Eleocharis.

If it is J. tenuis it would be extraordinarily easy to propagate, but much less suited to aquatic life.

This is the real J. repens

juncusrepens_01.jpg

<http://jcho.masgc.org/frames/data/juncusrepens.html>

cheers Darrel

Thanks for all the comments. :)

Unfortunately I'm limited in what I can reveal about the aquascape because it's for a magazine feature, and they like the exclusive.

However, I can say I'm trying to grow the plants as fast as possible as I'm stripping it all down in about 4 weeks.

I'm using mega high-energy. Probably the highest energy planted tank in the UK, in relation to its size. It's only a 16 litre tank.

4 x 24w HO T5, 10hr photoperiod. Suspended a few cm's from the surface. That's about 20 watts per gallon. PAR is probably exceeding 250 at the substrate.

Super-high CO2. About 10 bubbles per second through an Up Aqua inline diffuser on the outlet. The mist is incredible. I suspect the CO2 levels are well over 100ppm.

Super-dosing. Probably equivalent of 5x regular EI dosing using special macro and micro mixes, and liquid carbon every day.

Approx 35x turnover, realtime using a Fluval G3 on full flow.

90% water change every day.

Needless to say, there is no livestock in there. I'm almost scared to put my hands in there!

It's an interesting experiment to see how I fast I can grow plants, hopefully without algae or any deficiencies.

The potential issue is that many of the plant are typical slow-growing species, so I wonder if they'll cope with what I'm throwing at them. Time will tell!

Darrel - Thanks for the interesting info. I will pass it on to Tropica.

George Farmer said:
10hr photoperiod. 20 watts per gallon, PAR is probably exceeding 250 at the substrate. I suspect the CO2 levels are well over 100ppm. 5x regular EI dosing using special macro and micro mixes. 35x turnover. liquid carbon every day.
:woot: :crazy: :wideyed:
George Farmer said:
Needless to say, there is no livestock in there.
:thumbup: :angelic:
George Farmer said:
I'm almost scared to put my hands in there!
:thumbup: :idea: :sick:
George Farmer said:
It's an interesting experiment to see how I fast I can grow plants, hopefully without algae or any deficiencies.

The potential issue is that many of the plant are typical slow-growing species, so I wonder if they'll cope with what I'm throwing at them. Time will tell!
8)
let us know how it goes.
Ady.

Thanks.

I am photographing it regularly from the same spot so the growth and development should look interesting.

One day I want to rig up a proper time lapse system. There's been a video of HC growing but not an entire aquascape. You heard it here first! :D

I would go up to this only with automatic water change system and fert. dozing. If you do it manually then I admire you :)

George, out of interest, have you measured pH at peak of CO2 period ? With those levels is it likely to be REALLY low ? Is there a minimum plants can cope with ? Sounds like a fun project though. Do you know when the article will be published ? Are we talking PFK or can you not say at this stage ?

Hey George have you noticed CO2 microbubbles from the UP diffuser clumping to form normal sized ones in the outlet bend when you have a high bps rate ? Its happening in my tank and I dont know what the solution is ? Maybe the flow rate of the filter is too low for a higher bubble rate ?

Mortis said:
Hey George have you noticed CO2 microbubbles from the UP diffuser clumping to form normal sized ones in the outlet bend when you have a high bps rate ? Its happening in my tank and I dont know what the solution is ? Maybe the flow rate of the filter is too low for a higher bubble rate ?
Yes, I have noticed that. But there's so much going getting through it's academic in this particular set-up.

Your theory sounds plausible. :)

Antipofish said:
George, out of interest, have you measured pH at peak of CO2 period ? With those levels is it likely to be REALLY low ? Is there a minimum plants can cope with ? Sounds like a fun project though. Do you know when the article will be published ? Are we talking PFK or can you not say at this stage ?
No idea on pH mate. Probably well below 6. I'm not sure how acidic one can go with plants. They seem to be doing ok so far.

I imagine it won't be published in PFK for a few months. Amano's articles are coming through soon, and for some strange reason I suspect his features will take priority! :lol:

will they put up the price of the mag whilst running the amano articles? ;)

George Farmer said:
Antipofish said:
No idea on pH mate. Probably well below 6. I'm not sure how acidic one can go with plants. They seem to be doing ok so far.

I imagine it won't be published in PFK for a few months. Amano's articles are coming through soon, and for some strange reason I suspect his features will take priority! :lol:

Really ? :rolleyes: The bloody nerve !

Back