• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (month 5)

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank (week 4 - RIP Marvin)

Cheers Chris!
With that in mind any ideas on my Cuba? It's starting to look just a little yellow. I did have a day without any CO2 as I ran out but would that really impact so quickly?

I'm still daily dosing ADA green brighty step 1 and I have good flow all round the tank.
Lights are on for 8 hours (possibly too long) and are 2 x 25w T5 at 10" above the water.
CO2 is regular. Drip check gets to a good on the yellow side of green by 11am. I turn it off an hour before lights off.

Only change recently has been the death of marvin and my sera white spot treatment. I've done 3 25% water changes in the last day, as part of the treatment.

Any thought most welcome. Carpet is almost filled in and I'd hate to lose it!

Doing water changes during the day, especially three of them, will have caused fluctuating levels of CO2. This, plus the day of NO CO2 could have caused the problem.... depending on when you saw the yellowing begin of course.. because if it started before these issues you could logically say they were not the cause. Im not expert though so hope someone else adds a comment.

OK, that must be it then. I'm surprised it had such an effect in such a short space of time. Should I up the CO2 injection or frets for a couple of days to help them repair themselves?

The large pale leafed plant at the back to the right. Ok I can't remember it's name and I can't divide if I like it. Either at all or in that position.

I'm open to ideas for it or a replacement. I'm liking more thin leafed/grassy plants in this tank and this thing is quite dominant. I have the twisted valid next to it but that isn't too happy at the moment. Almost definitely due to the addition of RO water in my opinion.

Hit me with suggestions of alternatives and if you give me a good one and want the plant I have then it's yours for postage costs.

While doing a water change and checking out state of the tank I spotted this on the side glass. Excuse the phone photo but I couldn't get round there with the DSLR. It's about 8mm top to bottom and looks like bubbles but I guess it's eggs of some kind.
Any idea what?

7148266149_a86fc1016b_z.jpg

Look at my poor vallis in the background!

Hi Rob, looks like snails eggs!

Not doing a huge amount to the tank at the moment, while it settles after the whitespot outbreak. So far so good. No visible signs any more and all the spots are now gone. The Sera meds I used seemed to work overnight and that was a half dose!

Anyway, I did a little light pruning today and then sat and watched everything for a bit. I must say I'm very happy with how everything is coming along. The yellowing of the HC is still there but lessened now I think. I have changed the position of my diffuser to what I think is a better place, flow wise but we shall see.

I usually let my shrimp just get on with it. They are all doing well. The sakura are growing rapidly (I've found a few moltings recently), the rillies just carry on regardless and the amanos are developing well too. In fact they spent some time today getting very close to the front of the tank so I grabbed a couple of photos.

These guys are now bigger than the danios!

7006976596_93bda5ac05_c.jpg

7006976420_849856d693_c.jpg

Considering the fact that there was no set up involved these pictures came out pretty well. I might post them over in the photo threads as well.

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank (week 5)

Better there than anywhere else! :)

pariahrob said:
Yeah, all came off very easily. I dunked for 30 minutes in an ADA superge solution. Good stuff! Looks like new again now.

I need to do my lily pipes next. That might be a trickier task but I have faith!

Removing filter tubing from lily pipes is the one thing currently putting me off buying them. Is there a trick to it Rob ? The tubing I had was stuck fast to the hose adaptor of my last filter and I worry that trying to rip it off a flimsy glass tube might be somewhat more dangerous (and costly) than removing it from a plastic hose adaptor. :woot:

I'm hoping they will slide off without too much force being needed. I used a tiny amount of petroleum jelly and some heat to get them on. The idea is that just some heat should help to remove them.

If it is any more difficult that that I may fit some quick release taps just below the glass, to aid future removal and refitting.

I might give this a go this afternoon actually. I'll let you know how it goes!

pariahrob said:
I'm hoping they will slide off without too much force being needed. I used a tiny amount of petroleum jelly and some heat to get them on. The idea is that just some heat should help to remove them.

If it is any more difficult that that I may fit some quick release taps just below the glass, to aid future removal and refitting.

I might give this a go this afternoon actually. I'll let you know how it goes!

OK mate I would be interested to know. Be careful and i hope you mean warming heat and not direct heat from a blowtorch, LOL.

Right then, rather just a bit of blurb like 'i cleaned my glass' I thought I'd show how I did it.

First off when I changed my plastic in/out pipes to glass I added either a touch of olive oil or petroleum jelly to the ends of the glass. I can't remember which but either will work. This was to aid removal for cleaning. Today is the first time I've cleaned them.

1. Get supplies together. I had a bucket, superge, a spring brush and a towel handy.

2. Turn off your filter! Sounds obvious but it's the sort of thing that is easy to overlook. This applies to inline heaters as well. I use a hydor inline, so turned that off too.

3. Use a finger nail to prise back the edge of the hose. Doesn't need to be much. Just enough to break the seal that may have built up. It's worth warming the hoses a little too. Nothing too excessive but some warmth will help. I used a hairdryer for about 20 seconds keeping it moving.

4. Hold the hose firmly and twist the glass. You should feel the seal break and then the glass should move quite freely. Be ready with a towel as you may get some leakage when you remove it. The filter pressure might cause some return through the inlet pipe. I quickly attached my old plastic inlet which hooked over the side of the tank.
If you have a particularly dirty lily pipe you may need a longer soak, in which case you can use the old plastic in/out to run the filter.

7164844510_4d50cde8d5_z.jpg

5. Take your glassware to the sink and inspect for cracks or breakages. There shouldn't be any but this is a good time for a once over. you can also get a better look at any algae or grime that has built up. Mine isn't really too bad but even small amounts can spoil the looks of glassware.

7164844910_09a718ab1c_z.jpg

6. Mix up your cleaning solution. I'm using ADA superge, which I think is quite heavy in chlorine (more on that later). This is a simple one cap to a litre and I used 2 litres in a bucket and let it soak for ten minutes. While this was soaking I used my pipe brush to clean the visible ends of the filter hoses.

BEWARE! I did this not thinking that when I turned the filter back on all the dross I'd scraped from the hose would be shot straight into the tank. Luckily I had a net handy and I managed to catch most of it. That means you will have some nasties floating about for a while. Best thing is to do a water change and hoover the substrate.

7. Take your brush and give the insides of the lily pipe a good going over. Resist the urge to remove the brush and rinse too early. You'll be washing away the cleaning solution. You want to keep that in there and use the brush to work it into any stubborn areas, like so:

7164844090_cf6f33bd50_z.jpg

8. Once your happy remove the brush and rinse thoroughly. If you think it's clean and rinsed, rinse it again! The change the water in your bucket and add a heavy dose of dechorinator. Cleaning products can be quite nasty so this is important, or you may end up destroying all those good bacteria and having to cycle again (meaning your fauna will need a holiday). It's worth running through with normal tap water for a few minutes too, just to make sure you've cleared any solution out fully. Then a final dunk in dechlorinated water.

7164843824_8959e36502_z.jpg

9. Refit the pipes back to the hoses, not forgetting to add a little olive oil or jelly to the ends for next time.
Set everything back up and be ready with a net to catch all the gunk from the outlet. Alternatively you could drain the hoses and filter and give everything a good clean and make a day of it.

10. Everything should be back to looking new and lovely. It's amazing how different clean glassware makes your tank look.

7164843118_a88660177d_z.jpg

I hope this is of some use to somebody. I was hesitant about certain parts, so if this is an aid in any way then great!

Cheers all

Rob

And here are a couple of FTS. More as a record keeping measure than anything. I'm getting rid of the hygrophila on Friday and swapping it for something more grassy and in keeping with the rest of the tank. I wanted to do something that was pleasing on the eye but also as nice for the fish as I could reasonably get it and the CPDs and Black Widows that are on order are apparently both from gently flowing flooded grassland/rivers.

Or maybe I'm justifying the change to myself. Either way I think it will be better.

Now count the shrimp. There are a fair few in there. I need my shrimp tank to cycle faster!

In situ. Hoses still look a bit grubby!

7165524776_a926b4519b_c.jpg

And a FTS with a different crop. Not sure which I prefer. What do you think?

7165524450_283a7c1a22_c.jpg

These photos make the carpet look better than it really is. There are still a few noticeable gaps but it is filling in. Still a little yellow. I've upped CO2 a little to counter that.

would ADA green brighty help with colouration or is the cause totally non related ? Its just a product I have heard of as opposed to having used. Is looking great though Rob :) Congrats. Think the Blyxa looks out of place. Send it my way. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be honest I'm not sure but I think it might be worth trying, just in case it isn't CO2 related. Probably worth ordering some and giving it a shot.

Unless anybody has a better idea? Plants all look quite healthy, just not as green as they should. A little melting here and there but not much any more.

pariahrob said:
And a FTS with a different crop. Not sure which I prefer. What do you think?

I like being able to see the underside of the surface in the top one, but like the the tank without wallpaper shot. So a combination!

pariahrob said:
These photos make the carpet look better than it really is. There are still a few noticeable gaps but it is filling in. Still a little yellow. I've upped CO2 a little to counter that.

The drop checker (from what I can see) could still go quite a bit. If you're getting any melting then it's still CO2 problems...

Back