• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Corydoras Sterbae

Mark Webb

Anyone know if this species are sensitive to any particular water conditions?
I added 3 recently and they all looked healthy but have all died within 5 days with no visible symptoms. 35 other fish in the tank with no problems so this is a bit of a mystery?

H'mm. I bought 8 in Feb 2012 and added them to a lightly stocked 180L fully planted tank (shoal of Green Neons only). A nice clean sandy substrate, correct temp, everything working well etc.

They settled quickly and were an absolute joy to watch.

But, one by one, they became sickly and all have now died. I wonder if there is a problem with this group at the moment.
Dave Porter

Interesting Dave. My LFS has replaced them for a different batch so will be interesting to see how they fare.

Hope they do well. Ive had a group or sterbais in my tank for over 3 years and still going strong. I didnt acclimatise them properly in the tank but the journey from where I got them to home was little under 30 mins and they adjusted to the gravel set up quickly.

I have since moved them into a sand based substrate last year and no problems also.

I've had mixed results with corys, Sterbais seem to be one of the more sensitive. I've been told that when stressed, some corys can release a milky white toxin. They only have a limited amount of the toxin, so one theory is to stress them a little to get them to release this and then place them in fresh water for the journey. I have two left of my original ten, and they are due to be joined by another six over the weekend from someone within a 20 minute drive. So I shall see how I get on!

Hope that your new group get on okay.

Back