• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature's river **New journal**

Re: [NANO]Nature's River(Hardscaping in Progress,*RIVER MADE

Ill have a look at some species of anubias, want something really bushy and can grow in a shaded area:) I have a question, will it be okay to fill the tank with just the hardscape and add plants later? I suppose it will mean the ammonia leech can have a head start?

I ran my tank for several weeks with no lights to mature the filter, and get over the initial ammonia spike. It seemed to work well (I do now have some algae issues, but I suspect it's partly due to fluctuating CO2 coupled with no clean up crew). I suspect the main problem for you would be that if you were going to be tying plants to that (lovely!) wood later then you'll end up disturbing the substrate. :?

Hi Harry,
this is looking really nice, very crisp and precise and a very detailed journal :thumbup:. You seem quite patient which will come in handy when shrimp start moving your aquasoil all over your lovely sand 'river' ;) :lol:
HarryRobinson said:
will it be okay to fill the tank with just the hardscape and add plants later? I suppose it will mean the ammonia leech can have a head start?
Sure will, just fill, set the filter and get the cycle going, no lighting as suggested by Sarah, and when your going to plant simply empty, plant, and refill. Depending on the timescale of filling to planting you may need to carry out every other day water changes for the first week to combat any ammonia, gradually knocking them down to every third day week 2 and 4th day week 3 as necessary until its fully cycled. Be sure to run your filter in the emptied water to maintain biological activity while your planting.
Cheerio and good luck.
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Hi Harry,
You seem quite patient which will come in handy when shrimp start moving your aquasoil all over your lovely sand 'river' ;) :lol:

So true! My amanos love to have a good rummage. I actually found them rooting around the other day and watched as they uprooted a whole blyxa! Little gits.

pariahrob said:
Ady34 said:
Hi Harry,
You seem quite patient which will come in handy when shrimp start moving your aquasoil all over your lovely sand 'river' ;) :lol:

So true! My amanos love to have a good rummage. I actually found them rooting around the other day and watched as they uprooted a whole blyxa! Little gits.

If they do that to mine (when I get it, lol) I will mention words like "garlic", "butter", and "barbecue" !!! :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for the detailed feedback Ady:) Looks like i will be having this filled then when my filter arrives and will resist the temptation of having the lights on haha;) Ive got one of those master api test kits, so yes i will be sure to keep on top of water changes.
Im well aware of the biological activity (i made that mistake when i first started fish keeping haha) :) Im looking forward to filling it because i can get a sense of flow. I want the water to flow from the back left to front and then down the 'river' to get that feeling like the water is rushing through the river bed:) As for the shrimp, im sure ill spend a lot of time with tweezers picking off all the soil on the sand for the pictures, but it wont bother me too much as it will look rather natural, like little rocks in the 'river'.
Right, now ive been thinking about plants. I would love to have a lush bush of blyxa Japonica at the mound on the left, moving down to some hydrocotyle and finally a foreground of HC. But i am unsure of how and what i would plant on the right side. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated as always, thanks guys! :D

That sounds like a good plan. I would start the other side with HC too, so it looks like a path/river through something, then go for something tall. Maybe a pogostemon heferi building up to pogostemon erectus. I've just added some pogo erectus to my 60-P and it is a lovely plant. Almost glows.

This is looking good harry, when do you think you will be planting?
I would suggest that you focus your flow on growth rather than aesthetics, it is the main downfall and water flow never does what you expect it too. As clive has said many times you cant play pingpong with flow. Keep it one directional while you are learning and save the headache.
Using things like riccia stones along the boundary will go a long way to stop the amanos from destroying the path which they love to do

Plants list:
- Anubias (Not decided on the species)
- Blyxa Japonica
- Pogostemon Heferi
- HC
- Pogostemon erectus
:)

If i am to get these from plants alive, what does the 5, 25 and bunched options mean?

So i came home today to find a filter waiting for setup! So i got to the tank and cleaned the filter throughout as there where still a few bits of dirt from the previous owner. Then i cut all the pipes to length and put all the connectors and outlets on. Im going to buy a crook outlet because im not fond of spray bars, so for the time being i whipped up a makeshift one which looks OK... NOW, when i got to filing the filter and priming it, it hit a brick wall. I accidentally put the filter inlet/outlet the opposite way around, A NIGHTMARE!! This caused some soil to spill all over my 'river' and make a large cave underneath the filter inlet. The filter was sucking water in through the outlet, and blowing out the inlet! After switching the pipes, finally, it started working:) After an hour it was clear enough to take some pics, here they are:)

The filter next to the tank. Eheim 2213 thanks Malawistu!
7211799958_8687da8dbf_b.jpg
IMG_0186 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Pipes in place, the outlet looks awful haha, ill have a crook soon.
7211802054_925d076c24_b.jpg
IMG_0185 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Filling up.
7211798108_fedf0056dc_b.jpg
IMG_0187 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Half way there.
7211796084_2cd63df9d8_b.jpg
IMG_0188 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Filled up and still a bit merky from the switcheroo incident.
7211793984_0bc75de5f2_b.jpg
IMG_0189 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Forgot to mention about my botch job of keeping the pipes in place until i get some suction cups haha!
7211791908_80da114218_b.jpg
IMG_0190 by Harry.R, on Flickr
7211790084_fe3dff0602_b.jpg
IMG_0191 by Harry.R, on Flickr

A bad pic, but, you get the idea;)
7211787644_b82b3a883a_b.jpg
IMG_0192 by Harry.R, on Flickr

An extremeeeely bad pic, but it shows how the soil spilled onto my lovely river, nooo! I've fixed this now so its back to normal, sort of :)
7211785534_7502a3a6b7_b.jpg
IMG_0193 by Harry.R, on Flickr

I will post some pics of the tank all cleared up tomorrow!

Re: [NANO]Nature's River(Filled up and cycling)

So here is a pic of the tank all cleared up, what a great job that filter does! Also a video (bad video) of the shimmer, which i love!
7216023316_3fec1a4d37_b.jpg
IMG_0194 by Harry.R, on Flickr

The shimmmmmer...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrtanks/7216020744/

Any thoughts on whether i should put these along the sides of the river?
7216048914_2cfd4a3129_b.jpg
IMG_0197 by Harry.R, on Flickr

I have 9 of them about 4cm diameter, willow moss.
7216051398_64f83965a7_b.jpg
IMG_0196 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Re: [NANO]Nature's River(Filled up and cycling)

Ok so i decided to put the moss in anyway, i think it looks great! Lights are on 6hrs and im not dosing anything yet. Heres the pics:

FTS
7216465980_d6ae1eb171_b.jpg
IMG_0198 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Diff angle, you can see my test kit out haha :)
7216463710_9ae949d7ea_b.jpg
IMG_0199 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Back