• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

miracle grow organic potatoe/veg

These all contain added lime, sulphates and phosphates. The Miracel Gro organic range seem to replace a lot of the peat with other organic matter.

Either way, these will happily grow plants, but be prepared for a long period of ammonia leaching (especially the MGO), and for your water to be hardened significantly, which may or not be a problem depending on your stock list.

Look out for this

bonsai.jpg

J Arthur Bowers Aquatic compost info from their web site

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical characterisation of active components: Loam, peat, limestone and nutrients
Including potassium nitrate, sulphate of ammonia, mono ammonium phosphate and trace elements

9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Appearance: Loam/Peat blend
Odour: None
PH: 6.5 approx.
Solubility in water: Insoluble

Whats your thoughts on this????

BigTom said:
You got a breakdown of added ingredients for that foxfish?
Not off the top of my head mate but, I will probably have some in my shed - however I seem to remember the info on the packing was pretty basic!
Anyway I have used it numerous times with success.

foxfish said:
BigTom said:
You got a breakdown of added ingredients for that foxfish?
Not off the top of my head mate but, I will probably have some in my shed - however I seem to remember the info on the packing was pretty basic!
Anyway I have used it numerous times with success.

Any idea what it did to your water chemistry?

dean said:

Chemical characterisation of active components: Loam, peat, limestone and nutrients
Including potassium nitrate, sulphate of ammonia, mono ammonium phosphate and trace elements

Like I said, contains lime, phosphate and sulphate. Will grow plants fine, but pump up your hardness a lot, whether or not that's an issue depends on your proposed fish.

Yeah, that's all I could find online as well. I suspect it's high in peat, so will be balanced with lime as almost all these commercial mixes are. What I'm not entirely sure of is how much of the effect they have on hardness is due to the lime vs the phosphates and sulphates.

dean said:

Hi there,

I've just started a low-tech nano with the above soil capped with gravel.

I haven't noticed it having any effect on pH so far, but the tank is only 3.5 weeks old! I don't have the means to test hardness etc. but maybe I should keep an eye on that...

It's nice heavy stuff, pretty easy to work with and didn't cloud the water too much when flooded.

dean said:
brodnig sure like to see some pics

I was thinking about maybe starting a journal of this tank at some point and I think I have a few pics from not long after start up so may post them.

No promises though - I'll probably not post anything if the tank turns out to be a total disaster! :lol:

dean said:

Looks like it will possibly leach ammonia for a while too.

Back