• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hydrocotyle sp japan

tovtm

just purchased some hydrocotyle sp japan but doing a search on here and google I can't find any info on what to do with it when first plant it, do I just plant the roots? cut it into short pieces and plant if so where abouts?
or so I plant the roots and also try covering some of the runners with substrate

Tom,

tovtm said:
just purchased some hydrocotyle sp japan but doing a search on here and google I can't find any info on what to do with it when first plant it, do I just plant the roots? cut it into short pieces and plant if so where abouts?
or so I plant the roots and also try covering some of the runners with substrate

Tom,

Cut it into short pieces on the stem between each leaf, then just push into the substrate. You can even bury or hold it down with one of the leaves off it. If it try's to grow high then just snip that bit and re plant and also every now and then press it down as it starts to fill out and you'll get a lovely carpet from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divide into individual plantlets for better results and just constant trimming otherwise it will grow out of control. i know all about it.

thanks everyone exactly what I needed to know :)

No need to divide into individual plantlets. that would take way too long.

If you get a pot or a few cuttings, just divide by hand, quite roughly, not even sciccors, and plant where you'd like it to grow. after 1 week, it will grow well. Then, cut it right back really hard. it'll carpet better.

so you see, you''ll end up with the same look as if you'd split individually, without actually having to do that.

This goes with HC.no need for that individual nonsense.

Mark Evans said:
No need to divide into individual plantlets. that would take way too long.

If you get a pot or a few cuttings, just divide by hand, quite roughly, not even sciccors, and plant where you'd like it to grow. after 1 week, it will grow well. Then, cut it right back really hard. it'll carpet better.

so you see, you''ll end up with the same look as if you'd split individually, without actually having to do that.

This goes with HC.no need for that individual nonsense.
Does this mean we can not cut it if we want it to grow vertically rather than horizontally? Sounds stupid, but it is normally used as a compact ground cover, but id like it in some areas to reach higher into the water column.
Cheers,
Ady.

Thanks mark, when you say cut it back hard do you mean cut the heads off basically just leaving the runners under the substrate? or you mean cutting most of the heads off?

I'm in a similar position to the OP, just aquired some, need to know how to look after it.

I've just "planted" the whole 4-5cm diameter clump in one place, by pressing it down and drizzling some sand over it which seems to weigh it down. I don't mind waiting for it to spread and occupy space as it sees fit.

In the half-week I've had it it seems to have sent up lots of tiny stalks, a centimetre or two above the underlying clump, with a leaf on the end of each, but it's not noticeably speading sideways in any direction.

I've tried just pressing the whole clump down with my hand, but it seems to spring back up fairly soon.

Not sure if I should cut these little leaves off to. They're not that tall in themselves, so if the clump were to spread sideways and have leaves to that height, that would be OK. But possibly the leaves have to go to encourage sideways spreading?

Back