• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show Us Your Rare And Odd Fish!

Liam said:
A bit late, but thanks for the comments George.

Thanks Darren yeah that’s me. You may like this species its Boraras naevus, they were scientifically described last year. Guess they are still rare enough. They are quite different from other boraras sp in that the males and females are quite different looking.

Cheers Ollie yeah I think those ones are the best, (the insects), hardest to do though. Really like your knife fish.
Cheers
Peter
Female
7238555146_8b3f48900a_o.jpg
Boraras naevus (4) by Peter M4, on Flickr

Male
7238562170_12ed702ef3_o.jpg
Boraras naevus (2) by Peter M4, on Flickr
Saw some Baroras micros in wholesale tropical on the weekend. Looked like that second red pic, all red though, none like the female.

Hi all,
My Dicrossus maculatus pair have just spawned. With apologies for the picture quality, but this is the female, her eggs are on the underside of an Anubias leaf, just behind her in the photo.

dicrossus_female1.jpg

This is "dad", he is normally in charge and very rarely visible, but at the moment he can't venture into the jungle, as she beats him up if he does. I'll clean the glass and see if I can get a better photo, as he is a bit of a looker.
dicrossus_male1_web.jpg

I'll try and get a video if the fry hatch. I don't have a reasonable camera, but we apparently can borrow very good video kit from another department.

They are in this tank
tank_backoflab.jpg

and they have grown a bit since I first had them:
dicrossus_clup1_resize.jpg

cheers Darrel

Greetings from Slovakia :)

Here are my little miracles :angelic:
1 month ago

they grow pretty fast

@ Darrel (won't quote whole post)

Fantastic fish, i would love to set up a Biotope for Dicrossus sp. in the future.

Good luck with the fry!

Hi all,
Fantastic fish, i would love to set up a Biotope for Dicrossus sp. in the future.
Fingers crossed at the moment because I can't get into the lab. until later today or possibly tomorrow. I've kept D. filamentosus before, but I never got any fry, although they spawned and they were gorgeous.

I'm hoping that D. maculatus should be a little more forgiving of harder water, even if it isn't as good looking a fish. I've been looking for them for a long time because I thought the tank might be suitable, as they are a pretty rare fish in the UK.

I tested the pH and conductivity yesterday afternoon (during the photoperiod), and it was pH7.58 and conductivity 82 microS (about 50ppm TDS).

This is a better picture of dad getting stuck into some Daphnia and Ostracods (the yellow dots).
dicrossus_male_daphnia.jpg

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Fingers crossed at the moment because I can't get into the lab. until later today or possibly tomorrow. I've kept D. filamentosus before, but I never got any fry, although they spawned and they were gorgeous.

I'm hoping that D. maculatus should be a little more forgiving of harder water, even if it isn't as good looking a fish. I've been looking for them for a long time because I thought the tank might be suitable, as they are a pretty rare fish in the UK.

I tested the pH and conductivity yesterday afternoon (during the photoperiod), and it was pH7.58 and conductivity 82 microS (about 50ppm TDS).

This is a better picture of dad getting stuck into some Daphnia and Ostracods (the yellow dots).
dicrossus_male_daphnia.jpg

cheers Darrel

Stunning! I actually prefer D. maculatus, although I understand they appear on lists less frequently.

I understand that these species need really rather acidic conditions for eggs/fry to survive, though as you say D. maculatus may be the more forgiving in harder water.

Good luck anyway and keep us posted. I'm very envious!

Back