• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Aquastyle 35 - Rebooted

I've not had an Aquarium for many years and several house moves since my last one I'm still trying to find a suitable space without turning the house upside down. Until I find space for something larger I thought maybe a Nano might look nice in the corner of the lounge. I must admit when I first saw them online I thought it was a silly idea trying to set up and maintain something as small as a Nano but the sheer style of the things has been too much of a temptation to resist! I discounted getting any Nano that had plastic trims attached as I think it detracts from the otherwise simplistic style of the things. I found out about the Fluval too late to include it in my list so it was a choice between the Dennerle 30L or the Eheim 35L. The Dennerle seemed to me to offer extremely good value for money but the LED lighting unit on the Eheim finally saw me placing an order for an Aquastyle 35 with Charterhouse Aquatics. I've been collecting a few other bits, here's what I've got so far:

IMGP1474.jpg

And this is where it's going. Not ideal as it's near a glass door that opens to the garden but it only gets sun first thing in the morning when the curtains are closed so I'm hoping maybe a removable screen of some sort will protect it from algal growth when the curtains are open.

IMGP1477.jpg

No ideas on aquascaping yet but I am thinking lots of moss and just a couple of feature plants might look nice. I don't want it too hardscape or plant heavy but rather a nice balance of the two if I can manage it! I'd also like to add some Shrimps if they can tolerate Surrey water!

Re: Eheim Aquastyle 35

Cracking tank mate. Like you with the fluval, had the eheim been on my list I would have opted for that rather than the Dennerle. It would be the light that attracted me too :thumbup:

PS your Purigen is going out tomorrow mate. I am in two minds whether to not send it, now I see the lovely tank its destined for :rolleyes: I am jealous as all hell :D :D

Hi,
looks like a good start there, bet you cant wait to get tinkering.
Nanos are fab, they make water changes seem a doddle compared to a larger tank and you can make them look great with the increasing number of micro fish and shrimp species available in the hobby now.
I had an idea before for a nano, it will suit your setting better though beside the garden.... Bring the outside in and create a mini mimic underwater 'bug garden' garden. Use your lovely piece of wood to hang weeping moss to mimic the focal tree at the bottom of your garden, and plant smaller plants around it as the shrubs, could even get some of the new tropica mini eleocharis parvula available from freshwatershrimp sponsor site to make a lawn effect 8) The shrimp would be like insects hovering around the plants in the garden!....... sorry for being weird, i was so tempted to do it myself and your whole setting would just be perfect.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Ady.

Yeah,...I think Ady's idea sounds nice there. :) I hope you have a wonderful journey ahead of you in this hobby.

Thanks for the comments guys, some nice ideas there. I hadn't really given much thought to things like water changes but yes, it will certainly be easier than when I had a 50 gallon aquarium!

Eheim Aquastyle 35

Oh on the purigen side of things,
I purchased 200ml from antipofish for my mini m, the other day I pinched about a tablespoonish and put it inside the little internal you get with the fluval Ebi.

Im not joking, the water is clearer than any ive ever seen. Doesnt look like there is any there to be honest.

Will upload a couple of photos of it later,
Its nothing flash just a simple scape of 2 brilliant pieces of manten stone, some ebi gold soil, HC and pavula & a little sand.

But I like it :D

Regards

Thanks for that. I'll definitely be putting some in the Eheim. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Here's the sandblasted Grapevine I planned for the tank.

IMGP1478.jpg

But does it look a bit big in the tank? Actually, physically it is too large, this shows it better.

IMGP1479.jpg

Given I've still got substrate to add I'd need to get the saw out or shrimp type inmates could walk out!
I'm a bit loath to chop bits off as it's a nice piece of wood but it could take me ages to find something else.
I've washed 5 litres of Flora Base but how much should I use do you guys think? I was thinking about 50mm at the back sloping down to about 30mm at the front but I don't expect it would stay like that very long!

Any help much appreciated ... :D

Hey,
as promised, a few shots of my 'Simply Shrimp' Tank;-

iPhone Photos Sorry!!

ca34cfbd.jpg

3b37f528.jpg

0b26dad0.jpg

1f615f97.jpg

This is just a setup where I can watch the shrimp and the HC and Parvula spread. I like the simplicity of it.
I imagine when the HC grows in, It will appear similar to a simple rock in a Grassy Valley.

Dosing
.5ml EasyCarbo
.5ml TPN+

Lighting
2x Fluval PCL 11w (22w Total) 5hrs / day (5-10pm)

Hardscape
2 x ADA Manten stone (£60)

Flora
HC cuba
Eleocharis Parvula

Fauna
4 x Ottos
10 Sakura/Fire red cherries.

Filtration

Fluval Nano internal w/ Purigen
+ Standard sponges

:thumbup:

Thanks for the pics and the stats, I really like the "beach" on your setup.

Eheim Aquastyle 35

Thanks aqua. HC is taking off now and is spreading rapidly.

The phone doesnt give a good perspective, but I know height wise its lacking a little.

May add some stems at the bAck once it grows right in.

Regards

I found another potential piece of wood in a LFS which was also a little too large but I've started to fettle it into shape :) It's in soak at the moment and is resisting my best efforts to make it sink ...

IMGP1481.jpg

That is an awesome piece of wood - hope you manage to fit it in. It reminds me of the giant redwoods that are so huge they've carved tunnels through them, big enough to drive a car through. See if you can replicate that! :lol:

Yes it was a lucky find. It's a bit too tall though so I'm thinking of bandsawing a bit off the bottom. :?

Back