• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt' Journal finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900... IAPLC 2012 'Dragons Crypt'.

Good luck Ad with IAPLC

Your Arcuata looks really nice. As it should look. Well done mate.

Re: Fluval Studio 900... 'Dragons Crypt' Trim time.

faizal said:
Ady34 said:
..... it almost looks too bright now, a little cold and too green compared with the overgrown plant mass that gave areas of shadow and contrast and a sense of cosyness.

I know what you mean. :) Don't worry mate,...it'll be back to its usual coziness in no time. :D Looking forward to a picture.
:thumbup:

ianho said:
i'm sure you'll do well Ady!
Cheers, it was a jungle but its a tank with plants and itll hopefully up the uk numbers.

Timms2011 said:
Any chance of a pic after the trim? Would be great to follow the progression from there :)
On it.

Mark Evans said:
Good luck Ad with IAPLC

Your Arcuata looks really nice. As it should look. Well done mate.
Thanks Mark.

Right, heres the progress of chopping it back, it may not look like a lot but beleive me the right rear was rammed with a tangle of hygrophilas, bolbitis, eleocharis ecicularis and ludwigia so i ripped it all out to improve circulation.
Some of the larger balansae has been removed, the crypts thinned, the arcuata trimmed, eleocharis trimmed, hygrophila corymbosa and pinnatifida given a serious chop and thinning and a general tidy up. Theres still a lot of balansae that probably needs the largest leaves removing, and the microsorum pteropus petite could do with a thinning, but ill probably wait to do that when/if the pinnatifida recovers.
Ive given the sand bed a mini recovery and removed the staurogyne 'stumps'. The parvula right foreground was decidedly yellow and browning probably due to c02 and light starvation from the plant mass, so this has been trimmed and thinned and will hopefully recover.
It looks much brighter and as previously said the circulation/distribution is much improved. It looks a little green in colour after the trim but im hoping the arcuata and the pinnatifida will come back to add some contrasting shades.
Anyway i had to do it in 2 stages so heres the before, during and after:

Before, a jungle and similar to the iaplc shot:
feb20122322.jpg

During, hygrophilas and crypts trimmed/thinned:
feb20122372.jpg

After, eleocharis trimmed and tidied, further crypt thinning and sand bed tidy. Its a little murky as id just finished the tidying and refilling. I dont particularly like the sandy area but ill try to make the best of it while its there:
feb20122374.jpg

Just need to see how things grow back in now. Hopefully some of the plants that started to deteriorate will pick up again, a few more months for this tank to go yet!
Thanks for looking,
Ady.

Re: Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt', Trim time.

Still looks awesome, i can see you must have taken allot of time and care to cut n thin your plants out, they still looks so natural. I do think the sandy area in your tank is a good addition, something I've never tried as I know I'll just make a complete mess of it. I can honestly say following your progress has really inspired me. If my next aquatium turns out to be a fraction of what yours is I would be over the moon!! Please Keep us posted on your progress!!

all of those pics are worthy of the IAPLC. The Balansae looks great!

Hi,

Timms2011 said:
Still looks awesome, i can see you must have taken allot of time and care to cut n thin your plants out, they still looks so natural. I do think the sandy area in your tank is a good addition, something I've never tried as I know I'll just make a complete mess of it. I can honestly say following your progress has really inspired me. If my next aquatium turns out to be a fraction of what yours is I would be over the moon!! Please Keep us posted on your progress!!
Thanks Timms, the sand was already there :wideyed: , id been lazy in maintaining it and it was covered in aquasoil :shh:
Pleased the journal has inspired you, thats nice to hear and your definitely in the right place to find out everything you need to grow your own :thumbup:

Piece-of-fish said:
Well done and congrats on IAPLC...
Cheers bud, its the first 'international' anything ive been a part of and sounds special :)

ianho said:
all of those pics are worthy of the IAPLC. The Balansae looks great!
Thanks Ian, balansae is all or nothing apparently, it took months to get going and now its everywhere!!

Cheerio,
Ady.

Your tank always looks so damned healthy Ady. Even without a couple of balansae plants and a big trim :) Cant wait to see your IAPLC ranking. Its well worthy of your entry.

Antipofish said:
Your tank always looks so damned healthy Ady. Even without a couple of balansae plants and a big trim :) Cant wait to see your IAPLC ranking. Its well worthy of your entry.
Thanks Chris, there are some plants that arnt too healthy and a bit of GSA (think ive previously described it as BGA :oops: ) at the front centre too :shh:
Kind of wish id thought about entering a bit sooner so i could have trimmed, tidied and let the plants grow back in a little first. IAPLC kinda sounded a bit posh, but when you go on the website it says for anyone with an interest in the planted tank so i stuck it in. Not expecting a high ranking or anything, im a realist but it will be interesting to see how it does. Id like to know if you get feedback and if all the entries are printed in the IAPLC publication?
Cheers,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
.... IAPLC kinda sounded a bit posh, but when you go on the website it says for anyone with an interest in the planted tank so i stuck it in. Not expecting a high ranking or anything, im a realist but it will be interesting to see how it does.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Im not saying you will be top ten, but I dont think you would be in rear end of things either :) Least, I dont think you SHOULD be :)

Antipofish said:
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Im not saying you will be top ten, but I dont think you would be in rear end of things either :) Least, I dont think you SHOULD be :)
Thanks Chris, i wont say flattery will get you everywhere, but i knew there was a reason i like you! :)

Ady34 said:
Antipofish said:
Thanks Chris, i wont say flattery will get you everywhere, but i knew there was a reason i like you! :)

Hehe. I know what I like and what I don't and I don't take prisoners so tend to speak it like it is (to me at least, :lol: ). If its good I will say so, if its cr4p I (sometimes) am a bit more diplomatic about saying so :shh:

Im gutted that my Balansae was too large :( Its still on my favourites list. How long did it take to get to that size?

Now I have reasonable CO2 and EI ferts I am beginning to see some decent growth, FINALLY :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
Im gutted that my Balansae was too large :( Its still on my favourites list. How long did it take to get to that size?

Now I have reasonable CO2 and EI ferts I am beginning to see some decent growth, FINALLY :thumbup:

In all honesty now its taken a hold its phenomenally fast. The last three pre trim, during and post trim pictures show in the centre, 1st pre trim photo, no balansae, 6 days later in the centre photo there is a balansae plantlet which is 12" tall :wideyed: (That surprised me when ive just looked at the dates!) You can see i ripped this one out in the last trim session, centre midground is no place for that sucker! I didnt even realise the ones i sent you were so long until i took them out, they reach from one end of the tank to the other but thats what i like about them, im finding im trimming the largest leaves quite regularly now as those at the left tend to get pushed down the front glass with the flow there and it looks a bit scruffy.
No worries about passing it on, im sure killi's tank is well big enough!
As for your tank im pleased your starting to get the growth you want, i think its probably more to do with c02 as the tpn+ was doing the trick for me, just had to dose tons of it which seemed a good way of burning money when you compare it to ei. Hows the arcuata fairing?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Arcuata doing well mate, Its looking really good. I am not sure my growth was CO2 related as the change occurred a good month after I got CO2 balanced and its only recently got faster in the light of EI ferts. Im not saying TPN+ would not work, but I may have been underdosing with 7ml per day. But hey, thats what I was recommended.

Antipofish said:
Arcuata doing well mate, Its looking really good. I am not sure my growth was CO2 related as the change occurred a good month after I got CO2 balanced and its only recently got faster in the light of EI ferts. Im not saying TPN+ would not work, but I may have been underdosing with 7ml per day. But hey, thats what I was recommended.
Pleased the arcuata is doing well.
Yeah sounds like ferts, what volume is your tank? I was chucking in 15ml/day TPN+ on my 180l!!!

Ady34 said:
Antipofish said:
Pleased the arcuata is doing well.
Yeah sounds like ferts, what volume is your tank? I was chucking in 15ml/day TPN+ on my 180l!!!

Mines 175L give or take. 7ml was at the low end of the scale and 40ml was suggested by someone. ultimately that amount of TPN+ would have been expensive so hence the EI route for me now, (with Alastairs great help, thanks mate :thumbup: )

Re: Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt', New Fish.

Got some more fish today. Going eclectic and got 5 rosy tetra and 5 emperor tetra along with an as yet unknown (to me) form of flying fox. Thinking ill try a few different species to give me some ideas for the next scape, emperors are lovely, although the guy in the shop managed to pick me out one with some facial deformity bless its cotton socks, that one aint the prettiest. Rosie are nice too, but first day theyre being a little shy still. Fancying some black neons too, but may just be mixing things up too much there, well see.
Left the c02 off this morning until id released the new stock just to be safe :thumbup: .
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady I would keep a close eye on the Emporer Tetra. When I kept these fish they suffered from some type of worm that formed in a blister like growth. I have since seen them in a few LFS around my area with the same problem.

Yours might be absolutely fine but thought I would pass on the info.

Andy

awtong said:
Hi Ady I would keep a close eye on the Emporer Tetra. When I kept these fish they suffered from some type of worm that formed in a blister like growth. I have since seen them in a few LFS around my area with the same problem.

Yours might be absolutely fine but thought I would pass on the info.

Andy
Cheers for the heads up Andy, ill keep an eye on that. Did you successfully treat it or was it terminal? It would be a shame as theyre lovely fish.
Ady.

I got advice from the LFS and treated with limited success. This was in my old 180l Juwel and not the 450l. A couple of them healed up fine but I had 2 males that just continually got them. I caught them and put them into quarantine but they both died after a while of trying to treat them. They are gorgeous fish and they used to show a lot of spawning behaviour in my tank. I have 1 female left from the batch now. Although pretty and facinating the experience has kind of put me off keeping them, especially as the supplies in the local LFS seem to have the same issue.

Good luck with them don't let my negativity put you off the gorgeous fish but I thought it worth mentioning.

Andy

Back