• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do i have baby Amano's?

Mark Evans

Expert
I've kept this quiet for some time now.

I've disscussed this with a couple of people mow. 1 says' 'No' the other ' Nathan hill from PFK'says it's possible with brackish water.He's seen it happen apparently.

Now for some time....months i've seen the odd Amano in my tank which is about 2 cm. I simply didn't put any in at that size.

When i transferedd them from the 120 to the 90, 80% were pregnant. There's not one pregnat now. I've seen about 3 or 4 small amanos in there.

I can promise this you this.....They are not male cherries! Fact. They are 100% Amano's.

I'm baffled.

is it possible they are a hybrid from a male amano and a female cherry thus the eggs hatching in fresh water but looking like an amano?
I dont know if this is possible but just a suggestion to get the ball rolling for others with more knowledge.
It may well be just another example of your midas touch ;)
Cheerio,
Ady.

That has been mentioned Ad actually. But also, on the other hand, i've been told, amano and cherry wont mix....

it's baffling me. I think i'm going mad when i see them, but they are for sure Amano's. The markings etc. are of a an Amano.

As with the baby cherries, they small stuff hide until of a certain size, then once bigger the emerge. If they come out, i'll try and take an image.

Thanks for the input Ad.

There is product available with claims this.

"It diminishes the need to use brackish water for the development of some species of shrimp larvae in captivity. In most cases, shrimp larvae die in captivity due to the lack of microscopic food. Shrimpton food size ranges from 8um to 200um. This is an ideal food size for all stages of a shrimp larvae’s life."

so I would not rule it out completely if Mark can successfully grow plants I think he can be good at growing algae too :thumbup:

but that kind of food needs Brackish water to survive. The shrimp don't actually need Brackish water, it's the food the shrimp need from my understanding.

I posted this a while back.

About a year ago, during my research upon returning to the hobby, I stumbled upon a thread of a members tank. He had a few YouTube videos too and had young Amano's in there. Fresh water planted, no intervention. I would say it is possible. The thread was on a US forum and I've not come across it since.

Mark, I believe ;)

I'll try to get a pic.

I think all baby shrimp could live on detritus maybe?....thats small food.

Algae wise, there's not much of that stuff in my tanks. Micro algae maybe, but then an ultra clean tank wouldnt be a scientific perfect environment would it?

The only algae i tend to see is Staghorn maybe at 3 month intervals, that means a filter clean, then its gone.

GSA is a minor issue. I've stopped using easycarbo too. Maybe shrimp are happier without it?

I just dont know if it's possible for them to breed. I do have them though, trust me.

On another forum I've been on someone else said they had amanos breeding in their freshwater tank. They put up photos of the shrimplets in the filter box. Apparently it was a regular thing for them. They were in the UK too, not the US. I've been trying to find it again but it was a while ago and haven't had any success yet :(

Viv

It's impossible to breed Caradina multidentata (commonly known as Amano shrimp) in freshwater. What you likely have is not true C. multidentata, but very similar in appearance. So you've bred these shrimp, there's no denying it, but they're not the true species.

There is a school of thought that believes most 'Amano' shrimp in the UK aren't actually C. multidentata, hence the reports of breeding.

There's an old thread on here mentioning it (see George's post). viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12627

At the end of the day, if the shrimp eat algae and they're breeding then all is good! :)

If you really want a definitive answer then you can try to get hold of Werner Klotz and send him a specimen to analyse.

Here's the best i can do.

It's the smallest one there...obviously. I never put a shrimp of this size in the 90cm. I caught them all by net individually, and they were all massive.

This is one of about 4. You can also see the pregnant amano's...which is a constant thing.

Click on the image for a bigger view. I'm pretty damn sure they're amano's

7307929282_15a2641486_b.jpg
baby-2 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

7307930330_06b7957cef_b.jpg
baby-1 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Well Mark, I must say those shrimp look like amanos to me. Whatever their identity, if your 'amanos' eat algae like real amanos, who needs a real amano...So, do they?

They do the same job as an amano. Side by side, they're the same...apart from size.

I was tempted to take the tank apart, but i'm going to hang on a while now. There's lots of different things happening in the tank that are interesting. Shrimpy things, plant growth, and a couple of new plants.

I think i'll hang on to this for a few more months. I may even reach 1 year :wideyed: now that would be a novalty.

There was threads about this a few years back and I second what NA Fan says, they're not true amano's, in the same way that some plant species are impossible to tell apart without looking at a microscope the same is said for the above shrimps. It's a case of mistaken identity compounded by a common name being applied to all insubstantial looking brown shrimps.
I remember a thread on one of the shrimp forums, possibly cursta10 and it turned out to not be the true caradina multidentata but instead one originating from Hong Kong and not the true Japanese Amano most people think they have.

So when we buy, what we think are Amano shrimp, they really are not?

I'm not fussed. They do the same job, and look identical, so if they carry on breeding, i'm happy. They're busy little things :D

The plants look lovely and lush. As already said there were lots of reports some years ago of a species that look the same as amano that do breed in freshwater, it’s surprising that they have not been marketed as a separate species, I for one would buy them. They may breed like Sri Lankan dwarf shrimp or some ghost shrimp having a very short larval stage.

Indeed, most shops don't know any better, it's on their lists as Amanos, why would they think they're not. That and they are ill equipped to give the correct species when they're outwardly identical especially if they don't suspect otherwise.

Back