• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetra External Filters

What do we think, any good? Some reviews I've seen online were positive so I'm thinking of the smallest one for a 35L Nano. I had an Eheim Classic many years ago which worked well enough but would like to try something else.

Aqua sobriquet said:
What do we think, any good? Some reviews I've seen online were positive so I'm thinking of the smallest one for a 35L Nano. I had an Eheim Classic many years ago which worked well enough but would like to try something else.

Which smallest one do you mean, LOL. In european sites you can get an EX400 but I can only find EX600 in the UK. Might be worth a try. Another alternative is the new Eheim compact external range. Im going to be using an Ecco 200 with the flow reduced :)

I'm not too sure but I think the 400 may have been discontinued so it would probably be the 600. Flow restricted as you say!

Aqua sobriquet said:
I'm not too sure but I think the 400 may have been discontinued so it would probably be the 600. Flow restricted as you say!

Have definitely seen it on a couple of the german sites for sale mate so some places may still have some available. Another consideration would be the Sera 130 (which comes with or without UV). I did have one but exchanged it as I had a problem with the pump on mine. I have it on good authority that they are quiet and reliable normally though.

Too many choices really.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at the Sera.

Just had a look. The 130 looks good and 300lph is ok. Would it be worth getting the UV version? How well does UV work controlling Algae?

Aqua sobriquet said:
Thanks for that, I'll have a look at the Sera.

Just had a look. The 130 looks good and 300lph is ok. Would it be worth getting the UV version? How well does UV work controlling Algae?

I honestly dont know the answer to that. I believe opinion seems to be "it can't hurt". Sera are somewhat more adamant that it is a very powerful tool. I am keen to add UV sterilisation to my system when I can afford it as I believe that it can at the least minimize pathogens which must help fauna. I would say, if you can afford it, get it. The alternative would be to buy the NON UV version and buy a TMC vectron separately. That gives you more versatility at least.

Antipofish said:
Aqua sobriquet said:
I believe that it can at the least minimize pathogens

I believe the UV used by marine aquarists to control pathogens (although I think it's out of fashion at the moment) is different to that used by pondkeepers to control algae. If I remember correctly it is the proximity of the water to the UV tube and the contact time, which need to be closer and longer respectively to reliably kill pathogens, less exposure being required to control algae. Freshwater aquarium UV is comparatively new, but is marketed as being for algae control, I would not expect it to have much affect on pathogens. There again do you need pathogen control?

sparkyweasel said:
Antipofish said:
Aqua sobriquet said:
I believe that it can at the least minimize pathogens

I believe the UV used by marine aquarists to control pathogens (although I think it's out of fashion at the moment) is different to that used by pondkeepers to control algae. If I remember correctly it is the proximity of the water to the UV tube and the contact time, which need to be closer and longer respectively to reliably kill pathogens, less exposure being required to control algae. Freshwater aquarium UV is comparatively new, but is marketed as being for algae control, I would not expect it to have much affect on pathogens. There again do you need pathogen control?

Sera, who manufacture these filters seem to think differently mate. They claim it can help reduce aquarium pathogens. What you have stated above was a theory thats been around for quite some time (I can certainly remember hearing it 15 years ago). The UV tube in a Sera filter is certainly not for reducing Pond algae as the filter isnt even designed for ponds.

Do you need pathogen control ? Ask the question differently: "Do you want to minimise risk of losing fish as much as possible" ? :thumbup:

All things considered it sounds like it's worth having. But I've just ordered the Tetra EX 400 from Zooplus! :lol: I like the compact size of the 400 but as it uses the same ceramic shaft as the 600 I suspect you may be able to lower the output on the 600 (if size is not an issue) by maybe fitting a 400 impeller (if it does fit)? Failing that I think judicious "trimming" of the impeller could adjust output if done correctly! I just prefered the smaller size of the 400 though.
I also liked the nearly transparent input/output hardware and hoses of the Tetra range. Might add a UV unit later if someone can convince me that it really does help on the Algae front.

Aqua sobriquet said:
All things considered it sounds like it's worth having. But I've just ordered the Tetra EX 400 from Zooplus! :lol: I like the compact size of the 400 but as it uses the same ceramic shaft as the 600 I suspect you may be able to lower the output on the 600 (if size is not an issue) by maybe fitting a 400 impeller (if it does fit)? Failing that I think judicious "trimming" of the impeller could adjust output if done correctly! I just prefered the smaller size of the 400 though.
I also liked the nearly transparent input/output hardware and hoses of the Tetra range. Might add a UV unit later if someone can convince me that it really does help on the Algae front.

Did you order from the zooplus german website ?

Aqua sobriquet said:
No, I got it from Zooplus UK Chris.

DOH !

.de = 50 euros or £40
.co.uk = £55

(notwithstanding the discount which you get on both sites)

Either way its still not a bad price though. Looking forward to a mini review once you get it running :)

I'm aware of the price saving and have bought stuff from Germany quite a number of times - saved £300 on a rifle once, but I couldn't be bothered with the translation this time and I'm hoping I might get it a bit quicker.
Having said that DHL deliver pretty quick from Germany...

Are there any other good German sites that have English language options that you can recommend?

I'll see if I can do that review for you ;)

Aqua sobriquet said:
I'm aware of the price saving and have bought stuff from Germany quite a number of times - saved £300 on a rifle once, but I couldn't be bothered with the translation this time and I'm hoping I might get it a bit quicker.
Having said that DHL deliver pretty quick from Germany...

Are there any other good German sites that have English language options that you can recommend?

I'll see if I can do that review for you ;)

I think Aquaristic.net may have english as do lunapet. But I have google translator added to my toolbar so if I am on a foreign language page I just click and it translates automatically.

I ordered my Eheim 2078 on the Monday afternoon and it arrived on the Wednesday morning. Not bad going :) And as you say, at the end of the day a £300 saving is worthwhile whereas £15 is not that much of an issue. I hope you like the filter. Tetratec are a great company. I had a EX1200 that leaked once and even though it was out of warranty and I was not even the original owner they shipped out a brand new head without so much as a quiver. Thats the kind of customer service you expect and they sure delivered :)

Google translator is a good tip, I normally use Babelfish. I've been using an iPad almost exclusively for surfing since I got it a couple of months ago though. Also not available for Safari so maybe I should install Googles Chrome on the Mac? o_O

Update: Chrome installed and translation is built in, seems to work ok.

Aqua sobriquet said:
Google translator is a good tip, I normally use Babelfish. I've been using an iPad almost exclusively for surfing since I got it a couple of months ago though. Also not available for Safari so maybe I should install Googles Chrome on the Mac? o_O

Im not sure I have chrome on my mac and am using the google translator on my bookmark bar on Safari.

Back