• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Aquagreen (Planted page 2)

Sorry Ian,..I don't know how I missed this journal. :oops:
Unfortunately there isn't anything new I could add that hasn't already been said by so many. It's looking amazing and I can't wait to see more pics.

ianho said:
thanks for the suggestions guys...it's fathers day (as i'm sure you're all aware), i got treated to dinner at Brigg garden center. I nipped in to there LFS and couldn't resist these little bad boys!

7387685650_cd6a77cc0c.jpg
microdevario kubotai1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7387691690_24635df382.jpg
microdevario kubotai2 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

they look ace shoaling at the moment.

How many did you get?

wildwoods or wholesale tropicals usually have them in stock. The cheapest i found was 3 pounds each.

cheers guys!

I got them for what would work out as £2 each. I got 10, they are small though albeit they only get to 2.5-3 cm anyways.

small update...the stems are going crazy, the wood is leaking the usual white fluff, the glosso is creeping, the anubias is flowering.

ianho said:
small update...the stems are going crazy, the wood is leaking the usual white fluff, the glosso is creeping, the anubias is flowering.
all good in the hood then....apart from the white fluff which cant be helped :rolleyes: .
Ian, what sort of water change/maintenance routine are you using in these early stages?
Did you keep the filter mature from your last set up?
Cheers,
Ady.
Pics please :)

The filter had been switched of for 10 days while i was away from the previous tank. So i expect most of the a and n bacs would have died off. so this is my regimen and has been for a couple of years now as it seems to work...

Purigen and carbon added to filter (using spraybar, i have used glass, but for some reason always go back to a spraybar)
25% daily water change for 2-3 weeks as the plants settle into the new environment (for me this is the most important part of setting up a new tank.)
I'm using a mix of RO and Tap water in this tank (the water in lincoln is shocking, gh27, tds +600 etc etc)
fert dosing of 7ml of TPN+ daily, i am also using seachem aquavitro envy (not sure if it makes any difference), and some Fe twice a week.

i'll get some pics later.

A picture of serenity,..

cheers Faizal, this is a nice tank to sit and watch. It makes a difference after the last one to not have loads of open swim space.

Ian do you just wipe the fluff off with a toothbrush and let the filter handle it ? Or scoop any bits out with a net ?

The shrimp tend to eat it...i do remove any bits i can. It goes in a couple of weeks, so i can live with it.

ianho said:
The shrimp tend to eat it...i do remove any bits i can. It goes in a couple of weeks, so i can live with it.

Yeh I had a bit of it on my Redmoor when I set up the Aquience, but at the time I was not sure if it was toxic so removed the wood, cleaned it and replaced about three times. Got quite a lot of Manzy for my shrimp nano lined up so I am expecting to see some again.

I'm getting more off redmoor than anything else i have used. I didn't get any from manzy, but got loads of tannins

ianho said:
I'm getting more off redmoor than anything else i have used. I didn't get any from manzy, but got loads of tannins

I better get mine soaking come to think of it :rolleyes: When I initially started this tank (before I had a problem with the Sera filter) I had nothing off the Manzy but then when I drained the tank and the wood was in the air it developed the white mould. Anyway its good to know its not a big issue. And I REALLY like those Microdevario

This is an awesome looking tank and those fish are a perfect choice for it.

thanks Rob! i need to get anothr small school of tetras or rasboras in there as well eventually.

@ Chris, the green rasboras are great, they don't take over the tank either.

heres a couple of shots from tonight.

7410075282_7b000e1d44.jpg
aquagreen5 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7410069558_2074a5488d.jpg
aquagreen6 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Re: Aquagreen

end of week one.

things done and changed. Had a leak of C02 that didn't see/hear...this lead to the Hygro getting some bba on it, i found a couple of pots of aromatica in my lfs, so added those and took out the Rosanavig. The C02 is sorted now, and i have also moved the diffuser from the inlet so i can keep an eye on it. Some neons also added yesterday, just to give it some colour. The crypts are melting nicely! It's just getting to that 'transition period'.

heres a quick pic.

7425922012_cd77ce56a4.jpg
aquagreen7 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Ian there is something so tranquil and pleasing to the eye about all of your scapes. There is no doubt, you are in a class above most of us :thumbup: I am really looking forward to this one filling out. More pics of the kubotai when you get the chance would be welcomed by more than just me I would expect too ;)

Do you find that crypts always melt for you before growing back ? I dont tend to see that happen a lot in my tank, but they are very very slow growing. Any thoughts ?

quick question if i may ludwigia diamond red is it the stem on the left in pic aquagreen six looks exactly like a pot i purchased labeled ludwigia glandulosa which i dont think it is so maybe the same as yours where did you buy your plants if you dont mind me asking

cheers Tim, Glandulosa is more maroon/red that the diamond red. They are very similar though. This one is from The Green Machine. It's a nice plant, but quick growing, the quickest in the tank at the moment.

Do you find that crypts always melt for you before growing back ? I dont tend to see that happen a lot in my tank, but they are very very slow growing. Any thoughts ?

flattery will get you everywhere Chris! The compliment means a lot mate.

I haven't experienced melt like it before, but as above i have had a leak with my C02, so it hasn't been producing half as much as normal. I think this could have attributed to the melt. It means just more pruning at present. I suppose i don't have to cut the old leaves at a later date!

Back