• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some questions on co2

Mrmikey

I set up my tank 2 months but after going to adc in great Portland street and looking at their nano tanks I have a couple of questions.

They were stunning, algae free, crystal clear no gasping fish, shrimps looked happy. What am I doing wrong!!!!!

What I noticed, hardly any flow, co2 diffuser was producing a trickle of bubble, not much at all really, 11w on most of them with a pink bulb above on a strip.

Now my tank 30l, loads of flow, 11w light, on 5 hrs a day, loads of co2 - drop checker more yellow than green, fert 2ml a day. Why have I got hair algae? Plants don't carpet like theirs (glosso)

My filter is spitting out bubbles every 20 mins or so for about 5-10 secs. Is this trapped co2? Or air? What I want to know will this be fluctuating my co2 levels? I have a glass intake. If this gets blocked a little bit slowing flow from the filter will this cause a fluctuation? its an inline diffuser btw

Mike

Try using a glass diffuser instead of inline. A clogged intake can slow down the output and may cause the external canister to suck air through the canister cover or joints of tubings.

yes I'm using a fire extinguisher and inline diffuser. I do have a glass diffuser that i used to use maybe i should swop it around see if it makes any difference. I also picked up some easycarbo at adc maybe dosing 1ml a day might help with the hair algae. Although i was under the impression if co2 was being used effectivaly there should be no need.

I think ADC dose quite lean in the water column and use expensive substrate, more like Mark Evans/amano than lots of people on this forum. They use RO and easycarbo too.

I'd imagine they also do lots of maintenance. Sounds like you're not water changing enough!

Do you have lots of ottos and shrimp? Really makes a big difference.

Did you plant heavily at the outset? Also makes a big difference.

With my 25l P@H cube, i use a dissposable 600g welding bottle running threw a glass diffuser, roughly 1-2 bps. I'm currently running 2 x 11w daylight bulbs on for 8 hours a day. Co2 runs for 2 hours before lights come on and in that time i reduce the surface movement to a small amount so the injected co2 doesnt escape. I dose around 1.5ml of easycarbo everyday and alternate macro and micro nutrients from monday to saturday. Co2 is turned off 1 hour before lights go off and when they do i maximise the surface agitation. My tank currently houses 3 x otocicus and 7 x celestial pearl danio. No sign of algae whatsoever. This is what works for me, just got to find the right balance.

mikeappleby said:
I think ADC dose quite lean in the water column and use expensive substrate, more like Mark Evans/amano than lots of people on this forum. They use RO and easycarbo too.

I'd imagine they also do lots of maintenance. Sounds like you're not water changing enough!

Do you have lots of ottos and shrimp? Really makes a big difference.

Did you plant heavily at the outset? Also makes a big difference.

Hi mike thanks for the advice. I'm using ADA Amazonia substrate is that classed as expensive substrate ?

No I only have 1 shrimp, waiting to get some more I want some fire reds but they are hard to get hold of.

Well I'd say no. I didnt plant heavily from the start it's mostly to keep my moss going untill I set up my 70l. I was hoping to harvest it for when the time comes.

I think I'll get some ottos I remember the big difference they made especially keeping the glass clean. How Many do you recommend for my 30l?

Oh and water changes I'm probably doing 50% once a week. Should I be doing it twice a week?

logi-cat said:
With my 25l P@H cube, i use a dissposable 600g welding bottle running threw a glass diffuser, roughly 1-2 bps. I'm currently running 2 x 11w daylight bulbs on for 8 hours a day. Co2 runs for 2 hours before lights come on and in that time i reduce the surface movement to a small amount so the injected co2 doesnt escape. I dose around 1.5ml of easycarbo everyday and alternate macro and micro nutrients from monday to saturday. Co2 is turned off 1 hour before lights go off and when they do i maximise the surface agitation. My tank currently houses 3 x otocicus and 7 x celestial pearl danio. No sign of algae whatsoever. This is what works for me, just got to find the right balance.

Thanks logi cat, I like hearing how other people run their tanks as a comparison. I only use a 11w dennerle light but have more, and I'm thinking I might add it on when I get on top of the hair algae in the moss. Going for broke really as I've never managed to get glosso hc to carpet no matter what I do. Now I have some easycarbo in the locker I can see if it makes a difference. But I've got to be careful not to kill my moss. I'd say my tank is 65% around stone, with a portion of erectus in the opposite corner to the inlet. I'm waiting on a portion of plants to come from whitey hopefully tomorrow or the next day. This should really make my tank nice again. I dose all in one from APF about 1.5 everyday.

That balance you talk about is a myth to me! I have never been able to do it like you guys on here.

Then I start my 70l I'm going to do a journal I need all the help I can get !

Mike

Back