• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The forgotten nano... taiwan bee's vanished.

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
This tank has been running a while now and had a previous incarnation of a crab paludarium, since then i just flooded it about 4 months ago and added a few cuttings. This is what has pretty much created itself.

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

Super low tech, 11w light, couple of ml of ferts once a week and a 25% water change when i feel like it. Ill be honest, this tank has really endeared me to low tech. :shh: I tend to just forget about it with no consequences which i like.

Only plan is to finish the carpet and add some decent grade CRS when im feeling flush.

Just realised no front on shot :oops: ill add one next time.

Hope you likey.

Re: The forgotten nano

Lush, loving the emersed plants too.
What size is this please?
Riccia carpet looks v.nice.
What ferts do you use for this?
and nevermind next time, add a fts now!

Ady34 said:
Lush, loving the emersed plants too.
What size is this please?
Riccia carpet looks v.nice.
What ferts do you use for this?
and nevermind next time, add a fts now!

lol, it try and grab a FTS, had a few beers though!
25ltr tank ady, with about 4ltrs of fluval stratum which i put in a couple of months ago. Probably cant see but the tank is cut diagonally with a 4" high piece of slate which was the dry area for the crabs.
ferts are EI salts, couldnt tell you how much as not weighed or measured i just chucked some in dosing bottles and added RO 4 months ago. i kinda figured that as ferts dont cause algae it really doesnt matter.
Im quite suprised how well the tank does considering i give it no real love.
Also amazed at the dwarf riccia carpet, it was just an experiment really (wanted to use my ADA riccia stones :lol: ) ... it surpassed my expectations thats for sure.
:thumbup:

This looks great Iain. Wouldn't have guessed it was low tech mate!

very well done :D

Nice bit of nature. Really amazed by riccia carpet without co2.
Amano would be jelous :wideyed:

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
This looks great Iain. Wouldn't have guessed it was low tech mate!

very well done :D

Cheers kris, ill take that 8)

Piece-of-fish said:
Nice bit of nature. Really amazed by riccia carpet without co2.
Amano would be jelous :wideyed:

Does riccia tend to be more difficult without co2 then ed?? first time ive tried it :crazy: must be the ADA stones!
Im going to split it up maybe next week to spread over more stones, see what happens after that...

Alastair said:
Really really nice mate. I like it a lot

thanks al, me too :lol:

sr20det said:
That's lovely. Well done. Is that a almond leaf? For shrimp? Or by outlet to reduce ph?

cheers, almond leaf is for the shrimp mate but the hamshorn snails seem to appreciate it more!

great little nano! well done mate, as as Ed says, that riccia is in really good nick. This proves how little we can actually do with our tanks with a decent soil substrate.

ianho said:
great little nano! well done mate, as as Ed says, that riccia is in really good nick. This proves how little we can actually do with our tanks with a decent soil substrate.

thanks iain, pretty sure this tank had convinced me to go low tech in the big tank next scape, then i see alistairs rotala and im sold!

Aqua sobriquet said:
Very nice looking Nano Iain.
Need more plant mass now, some more needle leaf and other bits from piece of fish will help a lot. cheers aqua.

sarahtermite said:
Looking very good! And that dwarf riccia is lush :thumbup: - let me know if you have any going spare next time you trim it? :D

got it super healthy from logi-cat, wasnt expecting dwarf but chuffed it was. Will be a long while as i'm splitting it this week to complete the carpet, touch wood, and takes a couple of months to fill in. Maybe flick logi a message...

Hi all,
Nice tank.
Does riccia tend to be more difficult without co2 then....
No, it grows like an absolute weed without CO2, but when I've had it, it always escapes and ends up as a floating mass just below the surface. I now just leave it mixed up with Utricularia gibba and let them get on with it.

cheers Darrel

This is awesome mate!!! :D I didn't know we could grow riccia without co2.!! Iain could you kindly share with us how you had it tied down to the stone,...

Back