• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Mass destruction

BigTom said:
I've also shuffled the livestock around a bit, so inhabitants are now 5 Yunnanilus sp. 'rosy', 8 Danio erythromicron and 3 Dario hysginon (and the otos are still in there from before).

How about some pics of your new fish, too? Pretty please? :D

Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Stumpy

BigTom, quick question - where did you get this aquarium from? I love the fact that it is square and shallow!
I think there is a lot of inspiration to be taken from this setup. I for once see what a low maintenance tank should be. Now I have to attempt something similar or my life wont be complete lol

Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Stumpy

Well just back from another 5 week field trip, tank and inhabitants are doing well - shrimp and Hyallela have been breeding happily, and I've just spotted a couple of Danio erythromicron fry, so I guess that huge lump of spruce can't be doing too much harm.

Having said that, I might be tearing the whole thing down again - I still need to catch the last Parosphromenus so I can get them breeding in another tank, and it's gone into total hiding mode after previous failed attempts at capture.

Also, am getting a bit of an itch to use this recently collected heather...

wooda.jpg

BigTom said:
Also, am getting a bit of an itch to use this recently collected heather...

wooda.jpg

Forgive me but I haven't read the 25 pages of your journal lol, so I might have missed a discussion about the heather. Never seen it used in aquarium before, is this stuff that's been burnt off and you've just pulled it out the ground and chucked in a tank?

I could probably supply the entire forum with boxes of it!

Yeah I've used heather collected after burnoff just fine. Works really well, looks great and lasts 1-2 years under water.

This particular boxful is collected from an area that doesn't get fired at all, so it's all just old pieces that have died naturally. Super gnarly as a result :D

BigTom said:
Yeah I've used heather collected after burnoff just fine. Works really well, looks great and lasts 1-2 years under water.

This particular boxful is collected from an area that doesn't get fired at all, so it's all just old pieces that have died naturally. Super gnarly as a result :D

Nice one. I think a visit up the moors is in order asap!

Fabulous-looking heather, and so much of it!

Tom - when you collected the burnt heather was it black? I've got some like that, and I'm not sure if it's quite safe to use in a tank. But I guess it's only charcoal on the outside?

sarahtermite said:
Fabulous-looking heather, and so much of it!

Tom - when you collected the burnt heather was it black? I've got some like that, and I'm not sure if it's quite safe to use in a tank. But I guess it's only charcoal on the outside?

The pieces I found only had the odd little bit that was obviously burnt, I guess the fire must have passed across pretty quickly. I can't immediately think of any reason why it should do harm.

just sat and re read your journal again tom cant believe it took a compliment to alistair to get you to post an update :lol: are you really going to tear it down :( will you be re scaping and continuing the journal if you do really is the most stunning low tech i ever saw in my opinion, dont fancy posting me some heather do you :D

Yeah it'll be a rescape with new plants and hardscape, but all the old inhabitants. I've got something slightly over-ambitious in mind, but seeing as the current setup isn't as good as I'd envisaged I could end up with anything :p

You tried Trimar in cornwall?

I did my first mail order with them the other month and all fish arrived next day, intact and excellently priced.

£13 postage means you just need to order a fair amount of things at once.

Show's you how bad its got around Edinburgh for stocking.

Tell me about it John. All my recent purchases have either been from Colin Dunlop in Carluke or mail order through Wildwoods (bit pricier than Trimar but very impressive service). Ironically Trimar used to be my LFS when I lived in Cornwall.

You should have bought InsideOutside and let me manage it :lol:

Back