• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Elodea densa

Matt Warner

Hi, I was once ring if anyone grows this really common plant in their tanks. I know it's a bog standard plant, but I've always liked it. Also what does it grow like in a co2 injected tank with EI ferts.
Cheers

It's not too bad with EI and CO2, I have some in my tank, yes does need cutting a lot, but it is an easy quick way to get a "wall of green" whilst the other plants catch up.

There is nothing wrong with E Densa. Be proud, its actually a great looking plant and so easy to get along with. :clap: It grows like mad without CO2 let alone with it and EI; I am sure it will be rampant.

I had some to quickly fill a corner but it never did. Turns out it's one of those gluteraldehyde haters and I melted it spraying some BBA on the back wall with Easycarbo. :rolleyes:

san-ho-zay said:
....Turns out it's one of those gluteraldehyde haters and I melted it spraying some BBA on the back wall with Easycarbo. :rolleyes:
Correct. My first lot, I got for free with other plants, I "liquified" it when dosing with Exel to get rid of algae.

Sorry to spam this thread... im prob being stupid because i dont understand the termanology very well, but my Vallis has been growing like a trooper until recently. It has started to melt? I added some carbon to the filter (this is the me being stupid bit) is the carbon we add to our filters the same as the carbon troi is mentioning thus upsetting my Vallis?

No it's different. Activated carbon is black sooty stuff -- pretty much pure carbon. The liquid "carbon" is based on a clear, sweet smelling compound of carbon called gluteraldehyde. It's not carbon, but it contains carbon that becomes available to plants when it's added to water.

That's very interesting, it must be like Vallis, it hates bio-available carbon, and it's not too keen on ferts either.
Sagittaria is another one that doesn't play nice with gluteraldehyde.

In my tank I dose liquid carbon, but I don't overdose it. I think this is one of the main problems for Vallis and other plants melting. I have found Vallis to melt slightly, but it tends to recover and get used to the liquid carbon. My Vallis now grows really well and doesn't hardly melt at all. If you keep dosing it, the plants will get used to it eventually.

Elodea Densa is a great plant and very underated, been thinking of using it in my tank as background plant.

Elodea Densa is a great plant and very underated, been thinking of using it in my tank as background plant.
I couldn't agree more Gill, it is just as attractive as some of the more exotic species. It's dirt cheap too unlike some other plants.

I used to use it in my old aquarium and found that although it looked good when I bought it, it quickly became very "leggy" and less attractive once it had been in the tank a week or so. Anyone know why?

I always find Elodea going a bit leggy over time - I`m guessing it prefers lower tem. actually :)
Mick.

Troi said:
There is nothing wrong with E Densa. Be proud, its actually a great looking plant and so easy to get along with. :clap: It grows like mad without CO2 let alone with it and EI; I am sure it will be rampant.

I agree with Tim. Its very structural and has a great texture... Great for contrasting against something a lot softer or more plain.

I always found it grew well for a few weeks, then died away. I did ask in here, and answer was it ran out of nutrients. So it isn't as low tech, well. Maybe too much light and not enough food.

Back