• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easy WC ?

belly259

Hi all, just bouth some 25 litre containers for preeping water.

Interested to know easy way to fill up tank after removing water, this water can technique is doig my tree in lol. Any one use a pump of some sort to do this ??

luckily our bathroom is positioned over the tank in the living room, fill bath, treat water, chuck hose out window and bingo!!! 250 litres though the door

I use a tiny Ehiem pump with some 16/22 hose in a 60l barrel, I've connected up a couple of elbow joints to the pipe and then an old intake basket so it just hangs over the edge of my tank and into the water, I'll take a pic on my next water change to show you - I just drain water out, switch pump on a watch it fill up.

Sounds like I have the same pump as Gary. Works a treat. If the w/c is bigger than the container, it's still easier to dump buckets in there than try to add the bucket direct to the tank. I siphon out with a hose then use the pump to fill.

thxs for the replys guys any pics ?

Tried wi a pump i had but didnt seem to work for me

I've been intending to get something like this set up - would this approach work?

- Kitchen mixer tap
+ "screw on" hose fitting
Adjust temp, lock off end of hose, place in tank, release hose, fill!

I've got an old Juwel powerhead that I'll use for emptying the tank back down the sink.

Any reason this simple premise won't work?

Would work fine. Even easier if you get a double tap mixer you screw onto the kitchen tap - that way you can check the temp coming out throughout by opening the other tap slightly.

I also DIY'd an acrylic inlet (see journal for the general idea) that just hooks over the side of the tank with a short piece of hose and a hose fitting, which is exactly the right depth for a 60% water change. Just pop over the side in the tank, attach to hose into the garden, wave hands about a bit over the substrate to kick up any crud into the water column and leave it - 60% of the water drained out with no need to keep an eye on anything.

My trouble is that - due to excessive hardwater (+18KH) I mix 50% rainwater (from a Butt in the garden) with my tap water (using buckets). I have a 300 Litre tank - doing a 50% water change is basically impossible on a regular basis....

I normally manage 20% or so but even that can take a while.

Back