• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Shrimp ordered.

Otto72 said:
What most concerned me more about it was the livelyhood of the offspring with CO2 more than the adults themselves.
yeah i have read too that breeding and rearing of young is less prolific with liquid carbon, to be honest if they breed and i get any additions ill be well chuffed. I dont know if i dare have no liquid carbon but i may go down the pressurised route still yet with this tank, i could ditch the liquid carbon then and run at a reasonable, but not all out c02 level which would suit the plants in here fine id imagine.
Otto72 said:
After my Sakura tank is up and running, tank two will be CRS, I want to get good at this first before I dive into the expense
plans for another set up already, its addictive isnt it! In all honesty i have very little experience with shrimp keeping and have never bred any :crazy: I chose CRS due to my tap water locally which is naturally low in hardness and would need the least conditioning for these shrimps.
Im really looking forward to having a dedicated shrimp tank to see them in all their glory not hiding away or being shy due to the presence of fish.
Good luck with your set up, keep us posted :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

ady34 said:
plans for another set up already, its addictive isnt it!

Very addictive and I havn't even bought the tanks yet! :lol:

My plan is 3 tanks of the same size, all shrimp tanks, Sakura, CRS and possibly Blue Bolt if I can source them.
Will be a while before I have all these running together but I'm close to having enough money and everything I need for tank number one.
I'll be sure to start a journal in the near future :thumbup:

Otto72 said:
My plan is 3 tanks of the same size, all shrimp tanks, Sakura, CRS and possibly Blue Bolt if I can source them.
Will be a while before I have all these running together but I'm close to having enough money and everything I need for tank number one.
I'll be sure to start a journal in the near future :thumbup:
Were you at Aquatics Live last year? I think it was the Aquajardin stand had 3 shrimp tanks in a row...ADA Do Aqua range though so a bit pricey. They looked lovely and were well executed with a single piece of wood cut and running through them all to tie them together with a left, centre and right scape....i can but dream!
A bit of food for thought if you hadnt seen them already, not the best shots but it gives you an idea.
Ill look forward to a journal too :thumbup:

oct20101930.jpg

Left:
oct20101934.jpg

Centre:
oct20101935.jpg

Right:
oct20101936.jpg

ady34 said:
Were you at Aquatics Live last year? I think it was the Aquajardin stand had 3 shrimp tanks in a row...ADA Do Aqua range though so a bit pricey.

Nope that wasn't me but wow what inspiration for me!

Thanks ady34, thats pretty much what I'm aiming towards ;)

ady34 said:
ADA Do Aqua range though so a bit pricey.

You think the Do!Aqua are expensive tanks? I thought they were pretty well priced, but i'm going one step up from those I'm going for the ADA Garden range tanks either 45p or 60p, I still can't decided which size to get yet :?

The 45p is £132.99 and the 60p is a whopping £149.99 this is probaly why its taking me so long to sort everything out, but I think getting these high quality tanks will pay off when taking photo's.

I was going to do one tank with lots of plants but I think I may just stick to with mosses, low light and just concentrate on the shrimp rather than the scape, my plan is to start breeding them all once its all set up.

Btw do you know what make those clip on lights are in those pictures?

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Shrimp ordered.

Otto72 said:
ady34 said:
Were you at Aquatics Live last year? I think it was the Aquajardin stand had 3 shrimp tanks in a row...ADA Do Aqua range though so a bit pricey.

Nope that wasn't me but wow what inspiration for me!

Thanks ady34, thats pretty much what I'm aiming towards ;)

ady34 said:
ADA Do Aqua range though so a bit pricey.

You think the Do!Aqua are expensive tanks? I thought they were pretty well priced, but i'm going one step up from those I'm going for the ADA Garden range tanks either 45p or 60p, I still can't decided which size to get yet :?

The 45p is £132.99 and the 60p is a whopping £149.99 this is probaly why its taking me so long to sort everything out, but I think getting these high quality tanks will pay off when taking photo's.

I was going to do one tank with lots of plants but I think I may just stick to with mosses, low light and just concentrate on the shrimp rather than the scape, my plan is to start breeding them all once its all set up.

I believe the lights are or are very similar to fluval PCLs which are 11w.

;)

Otto72 said:
like Nathaniel said they are similar to the Fluval 11w PCL's, maybe message Aquajardin (forum sponsors) to find out.
Youll have some very nice looking tanks whichever you go for with the ADA's and no wonder its taking a while to save up! Personally id go as big as you can afford as this helps keep stable water conditions especially if your aiming to breed them long term.
Otto72 said:
I was going to do one tank with lots of plants but I think I may just stick to with mosses, low light and just concentrate on the shrimp rather than the scape,
In some ways i wish this was what id done, but the tank in the front room had to be a bit of a scape....just scape yours well with the hardscape, and moss only will look cool, this one may end up that way yet.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Shrimp ordered.

Edit;

For some reason thought they were Dennerle, and just typed ' Dennerle clip light' in google and this came up ;

http://www.aquajardin.co.uk/product/158 ... _light_11w

Pretty much the same other than its grey as oppose to the Fluvals black.

Im selling an Ebi setup soon possibly, with 2 of the fluval ones included.

Regards,

Otto72 said:
Ady34 are your shrimp coming today?
Yeah they have arrived, im at work now but will be acclimatising them from 5.30, and will pop some pics up later when they are in.

These shrimp arn't even for me and I'm excited :lol:
Can't wait to see the pictures :D

ady34 said:
Personally id go as big as you can afford as this helps keep stable water conditions especially if your aiming to breed them long term.

My original plan was to go for the 45p size as these 3 tanks will be going in an upstairs spare bedroom and I was a little concerned about weight, but the 60p which is slightly bigger works out about 54 litres per tank. So I'm wondering do you think three 54 litre tanks is ok to have upstairs? Obviously they will be spread across the room against one side of the wall. I'm thinking I probably have nothing to worry about as I heard of other people on various forums claiming they have had one 250 litre tank (and bigger) in an upstairs room! It's good to get some other people opinions though.

Otto72 said:
These shrimp arn't even for me and I'm excited :lol:
Can't wait to see the pictures :D
I hope i can capture a shot of them, they are small and i reckon they may disappear in the tank...and my camera isnt great at close ups! They are being drip acclimated now with my diy drip acclimitising rig :) ...its something to behold!

Otto72 said:
So I'm wondering do you think three 54 litre tanks is ok to have upstairs? Obviously they will be spread across the room against one side of the wall. I'm thinking I probably have nothing to worry about as I heard of other people on various forums claiming they have had one 250 litre tank (and bigger) in an upstairs room!
Well when i lived at home i had a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank in my bedroom with a 20" Black Shark in it!!! I wouldnt recommend this big a tank for upstairs really but i think 3x 60p will be ok. Maybe worth finding out which way the joists run under the floor so you can position accordingly. A well designed stand will dissipate load effectively reducing point weight.
Cheerio,
Ady.

These little shrimp are awesome, they are amusing me already. Drip acclimatising, airline tube to holding vessel is touching the side and creating a 'stream' of water running down. The little buggers are only climbing the side of the jug up the water stream!! Ive had to reposition it so its dripping into the centre of the jug otherwise theyd have been up the airline :lol:

Otto72 said:
ady34 said:
The little buggers are only climbing the side of the jug up the water stream!!

haha awesome :)

Can you post pics of your acclimatising rig and whats your method?

I got so much to learn :crazy:
Ive never done this before, but had heard about drip acclimatising over a 3-4hr period to very gradually mix the water from the new home to suppliers water. I had some spare airline, a pipe clip and a pair of mole grips so this is it...very technical and advanced :lol: ... but does the job and you can dial in drip rate very well. Aimed in total to have mixed the supplier water and my water in a ratio of 1:4 by the end of acclimatising, ie for the water supplied in the bag i added another 4x this amount to it to slowly get them used to any changes in water perameters very slowly.

feb20122317.jpg

feb20122318.jpg

feb20122320.jpg

Hope that helps.

Just about to put them in now :D
Ady.

Loving the flow control valve Ady :lol: :lol: You can buy little plastic ones for airline tubing for 99p ;) Just thought you might like to know for next time. :thumbup: Can't wait to see pics of these shrimp, they must be the most eagerly awaited shrimp on the forum ;)

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Shrimp in!

Otto72 said:
Ady34 said:
drip acclimatising over a 3-4hr period to very gradually mix the water from the new home to suppliers water.

So the shrimp are ok in the water they were delivered in for over 3 hours without any heater or anything, just in the jug?

I bet they love your tank setup :thumbup:
Yeah, no heater, there is no heater in the tank either, sits at a steady 21.5 degrees celcius, although has been up to 23 recently with the warm weather. They have been in that water since yesterday afternoon when they were posted!

Antipofish said:
Loving the flow control valve Ady :lol: :lol: You can buy little plastic ones for airline tubing for 99p ;) Just thought you might like to know for next time. :thumbup: Can't wait to see pics of these shrimp, they must be the most eagerly awaited shrimp on the forum ;)
:lol: yeah i know...every penny counts though ;) I thought i had some in all honesty but i didnt so had to improvise.
They have been the most eagerly awaited shrimp for me thats for sure, they are now in looking a little lost. Even a 55l looks huge for them at the minute but hey the smaller they are the longer theyll live! It amazes me how much colour they have and how active they are foraging around even just after putting them in. Ive also dropped the water level a little after watching their climbing earlier :wideyed: , i may have to drop it a little more as i know 2cm has been suggested as the 'safe zone'!
So here goes a few photos, not the greatest shots but show them well enough. You can also see the pearl moss which is starting to come back again now, i suspect this one doesnt like liquid carbon so will improve further with reduced levels.

feb20122322.jpg

feb20122321.jpg

feb20122325.jpg

Couple of FTS so you can see whats going on in there now.

feb20122323.jpg

feb20122324.jpg

Thanks for all the interest guys, and thanks to Freshwater shrimp for their advice and great little CRS :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Shrimp in!

Ady34 said:
Yeah, no heater, there is no heater in the tank either, sits at a steady 21.5 degrees celcius, although has been up to 23 recently with the warm weather. They have been in that water since yesterday afternoon when they were posted!

Hmm, so say for example it was winter would you still acclimatise them without a heater?
Also do you add a heater to the tank during winter?

Thanks for the lovely pics Ady, those shrimp look like great quality, congratulations :thumbup:

Now let's play the waiting game for CRS babies :D

Back