• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt' Journal finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt', Update.

ianho said:
it will cause problems eventually Ady...does it smell at all?
No smell as yet, no evidence of any green mould or anything like that, just whit/grey fluffy.....oh well rescape may be sooner than planned! But probably not planted for the time being :( Will monitor and see.

I agree with Ian mate, if its actually decomposing then it will cause probs as opposed to just leaching out a bit of initial muck. I think we are talking about two different things and therefore two very different outcomes. If it doesnt smell now it probably will do... I had some wood that did that, and the smell even got absorbed by the substrate so I ended up ripping out all the substrate too !!!

A really dumb question at this point,.....but Ady is it possible that you could remove just the affected wood(s) & replant again rather than a whole rescape,...it seems a shame to just let it go. I mean it might take you half a day or more but do you think that this may be possible.

I'm sorry but I was just thinking what I might do in such a situation.

faizal said:
A really dumb question at this point,.....but Ady is it possible that you could remove just the affected wood(s) & replant again rather than a whole rescape,...it seems a shame to just let it go. I mean it might take you half a day or more but do you think that this may be possible.

I'm sorry but I was just thinking what I might do in such a situation.
Hi Faizal,
trouble is there are only 2 pieces of wood in there and they are so integral to everything that it would just look wrong. All the ferns, moss and bolbitis are attached to them and they even go under the substrate in some areas so taking them out would mess everything up. I could remove them and attach the rhyzome plants to diffeent wood or rocks and keep the rest of the plants, but i just couldnt have them without some form af scaping so if i do remove them it will be a tear down. The first sign of any ill health from the fish and itll be coming out.

Antipofish said:
I agree with Ian mate, if its actually decomposing then it will cause probs as opposed to just leaching out a bit of initial muck. I think we are talking about two different things and therefore two very different outcomes. If it doesnt smell now it probably will do... I had some wood that did that, and the smell even got absorbed by the substrate so I ended up ripping out all the substrate too !!!
Yeah thats the worry, contaminating everything. If the wood comes out ill be rescaping and the substrate will be being renewed anyway as having pulled up a few balansae for you i know that the powersand will get mixed with the aquasoil when i remove the plants so i wont be reusing it anyway.
If it has to come out then ill be either decomissioning the tank temporarily, or running it as a non planted set up as i have some family commitments coming up which wont allow the time nor money to manage a new set up until probably the end of August.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady could you not suck out the aquasoil as much as possible before pulling anything out ? At least that way you get to keep (or even sell on) some substrate. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear your hand might be forced ady, thats a real shame. Silver lining is everyone loves a rescape, im certainly keen to see what you come up with if you have to ;)
Everyday's a school day in the world of planted tanks!
Laters

Antipofish said:
Ady could you not suck out the aquasoil as much as possible before pulling anything out ? At least that way you get to keep (or even sell on) some substrate. Just a thought.
Yeah thats a good idea Chris, could probably salvage a fair amount that way, cheers.

easerthegeezer said:
Sorry to hear your hand might be forced ady, thats a real shame. Silver lining is everyone loves a rescape, im certainly keen to see what you come up with if you have to ;)
Everyday's a school day in the world of planted tanks!
Laters
Ha, yeah i love spending money, the wife will be thrilled...just told her im gonna order some shrimp....maybe ill keep this latest aquascaping education quiet for a while :silent:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady, its what I did when I had to have a change around. I salvaged about 85% of the florabase :thumbup:

This is what the stuff looks like, horrid :wideyed: :sick: :

feb20122329.jpg

feb20122327.jpg

and a FTS after another trim just to balance the above with something more pleasant:

feb20122317.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Ugh, you're right, you don't want that stuff in your tank. Thank you for counterbalancing with the lovely FTS - and I like the way the mossy wood on the right sort of forms a heart. Awwww. :)

Ady34 said:
feb20122317.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
feb20122327.jpg
I have had something like this on one of my bits of wood, it appears as something like a not so black BBA. Anyway lifting wood out and tooth brushing in neat Excel, leave a while, rinse off and replace wood seems to eventually get rid of it.

After putting wood back the "fur" went white and a few patches of green algae appeared in the "fur", but then just faded away. May have been scoffed by my Ottos who paid no attention to it before treatment.

Re: Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt', splash of colour...

Hi, not great shots but thought id share a splash of colour none the less.

feb20122342.jpg

...and a few of my new Rams, id been wanting some for ages but was worried about them eating my shrimp....Amanos are solid though and they havnt touched them, but are being very picky eaters at the moment only taking frozen foods so i dont think they have coloured up fully yet. They are locally bred and were supposed to be taking flake etc....but arnt!

feb20122348.jpg

feb20122352.jpg

feb20122353.jpg

feb20122346.jpg

Tank is ticking along again, plants seem happier with dosing Macro and Micro on seperate days....could just be me though but things seem greener again. Moving onto standard Macro salts as of tomorrow so will see how that goes.
Wood mould/fungus not getting worse, no smell etc so fingers crossed itll hold out till end of August/September for the rescape!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Those rams look awesome in your Aquarium, super pics, maybe they will need just a little bit more time to settle in before they start eating their flake food. Keep us posted :thumb up: .... just thought i would add, I had 26 medium sized Armano shrimps in my aquarium, then I added 2 rams, next day not a single shrimp to in sight :wideyed:

Hi Ady, are you feeding the same flake food as they were eating or a different brand ? Maybe try mixing the flake up with the frozen food so they get a bit of both then gradually reduce if you want to. I do tend to think that fish always look better on a mix of food though, rather than just flake. How many rams did you get ? I think they are stunning. Love the Bolivian ones too :)

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
Hi Ady, are you feeding the same flake food as they were eating or a different brand ? Maybe try mixing the flake up with the frozen food so they get a bit of both then gradually reduce if you want to. I do tend to think that fish always look better on a mix of food though, rather than just flake. How many rams did you get ? I think they are stunning. Love the Bolivian ones too :)
Ah well i dont know what flake they were feeding on, the shop owner said tetra prima (i think) but they dont take mine. I have a variety of foods including tetra prima, tetra pro, pro colour, pro vegetable, nutrafin max, tetra fresh daphnia, tetra fresh bloodworms and frozen tropical mix and daphnia. They get a variety and very occasional live foods so ill just keep persevering and mixing it up and see if they eventually take to it.
I got 2 rams, there was only 2 left in the tank, unsure if they are a male and female, the guy had another female elsewhere in the shop but i wasnt bothered about the sexes really. They seem to get on well anyway and arnt fighting at all so its all good on that front.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hey Ady,

Just cover the affected wood with moss, it will take over the BBA eventually. Pull it out only if you plan a re-scape, it's too messy otherwise.

Mike

ian_m said:
Ady34 said:
feb20122327.jpg
I have had something like this on one of my bits of wood, it appears as something like a not so black BBA. Anyway lifting wood out and tooth brushing in neat Excel, leave a while, rinse off and replace wood seems to eventually get rid of it.

After putting wood back the "fur" went white and a few patches of green algae appeared in the "fur", but then just faded away. May have been scoffed by my Ottos who paid no attention to it before treatment.
clonitza said:
Hey Ady,

Just cover the affected wood with moss, it will take over the BBA eventually. Pull it out only if you plan a re-scape, it's too messy otherwise.

Mike
Hi,
dont think its algae, the picture above looks more like algae but id just wafted the moss and the mould here got coated in a dusting of detrius so looks darker. The first picture on the previous page shows it a little better. It is affecting all the wood, but like you say removing it is a no go unless its causing other issues which it doesnt seem to be at the moment. Either way itll be going in the bin when i rescape.

Back