• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Ryuoh lagoon - Whitey89

Westyggx said:
Had it in about a month now, i cut it into portions as shown on the packaging. I bought a second lot and planted them individually though on the left side and it looks alot better. Will get you a picture later when the lights come on.

Thats interesting mate, thanks would be great :)

Re: Ryuoh lagoon - Hardscape Layout & Plant Selection - Whit

Great hardscape IMO - looking forward to watching the progress

Re: Ryuoh lagoon - Whitey89

Whitey89 said:
Westyggx said:
Had it in about a month now, i cut it into portions as shown on the packaging. I bought a second lot and planted them individually though on the left side and it looks alot better. Will get you a picture later when the lights come on.

Thats interesting mate, thanks would be great :)

2012-07-08%2020.06.00.jpg

2012-07-08%2020.06.11.jpg

Wow, sorry for not getting back sooner mike!

Does look very good though, you can see the difference. I ordered 3 pots so will probably plant 2 cut up into smaller portions and 1 individual stems to fill in around them.

Tanks been filled now and semi planted, will see how I get on after the Eleocharis sp. Mini and ammania sp. Bonsai go in. Will probably add a little stauro too, see how it fares under the Grobeam!

Hey guys,

Just updating my progress, today was planting Eleocharis sp. Mini day!
so basically I started with the 3 pots shown above. Which was purchased from Ed & the gang @ FreshwaterShrimp. Which I am extremely happy with!

The tropica 1-2- Grow! Eleocharis sp. Mini was in absolutely top condition, and the delivery from posting on sunday night to get here tuesday morning was outstanding. So Cheers guys!

Okay so in the 3 pots were these:

d5081281.jpg

Which took a while, to get to these:

2bbdbc8a.jpg

Which were then chopped again in half and inserted into the tank, with the aid of a Fluval Ebi lid.... :D

bce66944.jpg

Workstation: :lol:

fb558ece.jpg

Got a few photos of the planting process :

5cc3a476.jpg

01a8facb.jpg

af11b079.jpg

More soldiers lined up: :crazy:

a0be39d9.jpg

Before:
80d0878c.jpg

After (excuse the cloudiness :( )

d98588a4.jpg

Well, Im absolutely knackered now and my eyes are spinning haha. But quite pleased with the result. by no means is this the end of the planting process though. I currently am awaiting Blxya from Hoggie to go behind the uppermost Left rock, to highlight the edge from the background.

Around that area, there is also some ammania sp. Bonsai going in too, Theres also stems of rotala rotundifolia round the back of the right rock, which I hope in time will create a nice ball of colour towering over the 'Cliff'.

Please, I would appreciate any feedback, advice & critisims you may have to help me get the best out of this scape.

Cheers,

This scape looks sick, cant wait to see it fill out mate. well done.

Re: Ryuoh lagoon - (Semi-Planted)

good hardscape mate, not to sure about the aponogetons...it'll be an interesting one to watch!

Hi,
looking fantastic, really like the way the sand bed disappears behind the large rock to the right :thumbup:
Great planting, the transition from foreground to background will work really well with the plants used and the ammania bonsai and rotala will finish off the planting nicely.
Really good stuff mate :clap:
I reckon if you could chop 3" off the top of your tank the sense of scale would be even more impressive giving a panoramic mountain scene....but you cant, so instead youll have to get some surface fish to give the illusion of birds soaring high above ;)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Westyggx said:
This scape looks sick, cant wait to see it fill out mate. well done.

Thanks mate, Im really impressed with the Eleocharis mini. Appreciate your photos showing planting, will see how mine fill out!

ianho said:
good hardscape mate, not to sure about the aponogetons...it'll be an interesting one to watch!

Hey, Thanks mate. I'm in two minds at the moment, but hopefully when my Rotala fills out behind the right rock It will look less out of place. Think I'll move the one on the left completely and put it on the right, I knew the Aponogetons would get commented on :D

tim said:
looking very nice mate love that pathway through the scape very well done :thumbup:

Thanks mate, I always had this in mind from the begining. I love the effect it gives :thumbup:

Ady34 said:
Hi,
looking fantastic, really like the way the sand bed disappears behind the large rock to the right :thumbup:
Great planting, the transition from foreground to background will work really well with the plants used and the ammania bonsai and rotala will finish off the planting nicely.
Really good stuff mate :clap:
I reckon if you could chop 3" off the top of your tank the sense of scale would be even more impressive giving a panoramic mountain scene....but you cant, so instead youll have to get some surface fish to give the illusion of birds soaring high above ;)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hey buddy, That was the very effect I was going for! I agree with the tank height, but what can you do :lol:
Gonna keep cutting the rotala back hard so it puffs right up, and fills out the back of that rock. Might add a Pogostemon Erectus or I very much like the look of eustralis stellata but I dont know if it will clash with the pink/red in the Rotala.

Will work it out, and think about Fish stock.

mikeappleby said:
tim said:
looking very nice mate love that pathway through the scape very well done :thumbup:

good luck keeping it separated from the aqua soil. that was a sisyphean trial too far for me.

Im one of them type of people that like to do something when theres nothing to do, so picking the brown soil from the white sand might be right up my street. Thats if I don't forget to do filter slowly and blow the tank into a massive swirling snowglobe. :lol:

Cheers guys great feedback :)

Great looking Nathaniel :D

The hardscape looks fantastic.

:D

Can't wait to see it fully grown in and planted up to the hilt :D:D:D:D

Really starting to love your scapes!

Looking superb Nath, very impressive planting and the hardscape actually fits very well.... you should be very proud mate :thumbup:

P.S.... how tall does this mini hairgrass actually grow?

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Great looking Nathaniel :D

The hardscape looks fantastic.

:D

Can't wait to see it fully grown in and planted up to the hilt :D:D:D:D

Really starting to love your scapes!

Hey mate,
How are you? Aint seen you active recently. Hope all is ok.
Thanks very much mate, I too am looking forward to the big grow :)

Regards,

JenCliBee said:
Looking superb Nath, very impressive planting and the hardscape actually fits very well.... you should be very proud mate :thumbup:

P.S.... how tall does this mini hairgrass actually grow?

Hey Jen, thanks very much for your kind words :D Heres the info from Tropica;

Eleocharis sp. 'mini'

Eleocharis sp. 'mini' has even lower growth than the common Eleocharis parvula and was given to Tropica by Thomas Barr from US. Plant the mini-version in small portions covering a larger area. In short time, a dense carpet will be obtained. Needs light to perform optimal, however, it is one of the most secure species for craeting a carpet – and a minimum of maintenance since leaves stays small (3-5 cm). Suitable for nano-aquariums. 

Origin:   
Type:   Bottom layer
Growth:   Slow
Height:   3 cm - 6 cm
Width:   10 cm - 15 cm
Light demands:   0.50 Watt per liter
CO2 demands:   6-14 mg per liter

So by the looks, not much bigger than it is now, but each pot is meant to spread to 20cm square patch within a month, so 3 pots should spread like wildfire!

Cheers,

Thanks for the info mate, it does look interesting. Will certainly be watching with interest, you can be my guinea pig untill i set my next tank up ;)

Hey Nat, can't believe I missed your journal :oops: Sorry mate. Had a quick glance over but will read in more detail tomorrow :thumbup: My thoughts on the hardscape were along the same lines as Ady regards the second stone on the left being bigger. In face the one on the right could be the "second stone" (don't ask me their damn Japanese names) and get an even bigger one for the right. I still feel it needs this extra height even though you have planted now. Could be a big effort to change now and I am sure that once the plants have grown in it will take on a nicely balanced appearance anyways. The sand pathway leading your eye to the back and out of sight is awesome :D

It looks wonderful! :clap: I love the fact that you've spread the path so widely at the front - it really adds to the sense of perspective, esp. with the way it disappears at the back. Superbly done. And I'm another one who's going to be watching with interest how that Eleocharis grows.

Back