• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde!

Are we sure of the dilution though? Is Easycarbo and Excel 1.5% Glutaraldehyde and the rest distilled water? :?

Aqua sobriquet said:
Are we sure of the dilution though? Is Easycarbo and Excel 1.5% Glutaraldehyde and the rest distilled water? :?
Surely tap water (be it boiled) would be fine, not much in the tap water that would hurt the plants I would have thought. Unless Glutaraldehyde has an adverse reaction to something potentially in tap water? Chloramines, Flouride, Calcium, etc?

according to the reagent guy it is safe to use tap water. as for aquariums it is up to you what water you use.

A big save for someone that uses easy carbo type things a lot.

Amazing how much money is liquid carbon companies are making.

Why not add some ferts to it as well? Bad reaction?

Hi its 1.5 % Glut thats in EXcel/Easycarbo. I have been using diluted glutaraldehyde for about 2 and a half years now in tanks with and without pressurized CO2. Remember to be careful while diluting it. I do it safely in the lab where I have access to a fume hood.
So far it seems to be pretty much as effective as branded liquid carbon supplements both as a carbon source as well as an algaecide

Glutaraldehyde was used as cleaner for medical tools some time ago, sure it can't be poison so just use common sense when You dilute it

I have just ordered some from Bonnymans. I was down near the end of a bottle so was due some anyway. Based on the dilution rates off Alistair if I mix 15ml into a 235ml of water in an existing EC bottle I should get just shy of 17x250ml bottles at a cost of £15.60 delivered. This would have cost £132.00 excluding delivery on what I normally pay. I'm going to mix into 250ml bottles as oppose to bigger in case it does bio-degrade in the bottle when mixed with water.

Alastair said:
From a 50% solution, add 30ml of it to 970 ml of ro or di water and dose 1ml per 40litres

So should be 15ml to 485ml water or 7.5ml to 242.5 water?!

Does make it quite a bit cheaper than the prepared stuff.

:oops: Yep my maths is rubbish, I would have checked before making though :) In fact 1litre of glute will make up 133 bottles of 250ml so should save about £900 :wideyed: or have I done that wrong again :lol:

AverageWhiteBloke said:
I have just ordered some from Bonnymans. I was down near the end of a bottle so was due some anyway. Based on the dilution rates off Alistair if I mix 15ml into a 235ml of water in an existing EC bottle I should get just shy of 17x250ml bottles at a cost of £15.60 delivered. This would have cost £132.00 excluding delivery on what I normally pay. I'm going to mix into 250ml bottles as oppose to bigger in case it does bio-degrade in the bottle when mixed with water.

Hi Mate,

8ml of 50% glutereldahyde mix into 242ml of ro/di water will give you the equivelent mix of a 1.5% bottle of easycarbo or excel
dose 1ml per 10 gal and on water change day dose 5ml per 10 gal.

Aqua sobriquet said:
Alastair said:
From a 50% solution, add 30ml of it to 970 ml of ro or di water and dose 1ml per 40litres

So should be 15ml to 485ml water or 7.5ml to 242.5 water?!

Does make it quite a bit cheaper than the prepared stuff.

And yep 15 ml to 485ml :thumbup:

AverageWhiteBloke said:
:oops: Yep my maths is rubbish, I would have checked before making though :) In fact 1litre of glute will make up 133 bottles of 250ml so should save about £900 :wideyed: or have I done that wrong again :lol:

125 bottles :lol:

I was working off 7.5ml but what's half a mil between friends. Quite a lot actually as it happens that half mil makes another 8 bottles or roughly translated saving another 50 quid.

For sure ideally outdoors, I have access to chemical safe gloves my sister in law works in a nuclear plant ;) at least it can be drew out with a syringe so not much messing around with the small amounts needed. I was reading somewhere while looking for this stuff that hospitals were trying to wean off it on to other products as it is the single biggest contributer to occupational asthma in the health care industry.

on water change day dose 5ml per 10 gal.
Interesting, I have never did that before. I usually add the same amount everyday. What's the reasoning behind that mate out of curiosity?

Back