• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Ryuoh lagoon - (Semi-Planted)

Wow,...that's amazing buddy :D . Are you still planning on adding the manzanita moss bridge? Very inspiring hardscape too. i love it.

Whitey89 said:
KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Great looking Nathaniel :D

The hardscape looks fantastic.

:D

Can't wait to see it fully grown in and planted up to the hilt :D:D:D:D

Really starting to love your scapes!

Hey mate,
How are you? Aint seen you active recently. Hope all is ok.
Thanks very much mate, I too am looking forward to the big grow :)

Regards,

I'm great Nath thanks for asking ! :D

Been skulking about on here for a while, noseying and not posting! :lol: just started my journal "properly" (The lavagumi one) so that should make me a lot more active!

That mini hairgrass is an interesting one alright... It'll look very good filled out completely, especially as it's nice and low growing.

Ryuoh lagoon - (Semi-Planted)

faizal said:
Wow,...that's amazing buddy :D . Are you still planning on adding the manzanita moss bridge? Very inspiring hardscape too. i love it.

Hey, thanks mate.
Should hope it looks better once I get a good amount of growth going on.

Regarding the Manzanita, its something I would be considering once I see the grow in. It could go one of two ways either compliment the scape or completely throw it off.

Either way it wouldn't take much to do and remove if I didn't like it I suppose.

Will give the plants a good rooting in time before I get to grips with trimming and possible hardscape adjustment.

Thanks for your post :)

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Whitey89 said:
KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Great looking Nathaniel :D

The hardscape looks fantastic.

Can't wait to see it fully grown in and planted up to the hilt :D:D:D:D

Really starting to love your scapes!

Hey mate,
How are you? Aint seen you active recently. Hope all is ok.
Thanks very much mate, I too am looking forward to the big grow :)

Regards,

I'm great Nath thanks for asking ! :D

Been skulking about on here for a while, noseying and not posting! :lol: just started my journal "properly" (The lavagumi one) so that should make me a lot more active!

That mini hairgrass is an interesting one alright... It'll look very good filled out completely, especially as it's nice and low growing.

I have been trying to look at it all morning mate, but my tapatalk keeps crashing out on your photos. I have no clue why mate.
Ive even Tried turning my phone off just to look at your Journal :lol:

Will have a look once it lets me haha.

Just wanted to comment on the sand,
ADA La Plata sand.

Personally, the striking white but natural appearance really appeals to me. Adding a great contrast against the brown of the ADA Amazonia Powder. It has a good grain variation, between 1 & 3mm .

I purchased a 2kg bag and have over half left. So Plenty left over :)

Otto72 said:
Another awesome tank coming together whitey89, subscribed :thumbup:

that light panel and fittings must of set you back a bit :wideyed:

Hey otto,
Thanks very much mate. They set me back;

£190 Tmc tile & controller
£22 brackets
£12-15 MMS rail ( connects brackets and holds light.

So were expensive but will last!
Will try keep this very much up to date.
No doubt there will be changes in the layout, when I get bored :D

Well postman has been, And look whats arrived;

027a26e7-986c-563f.jpg

Brimming! :) :
027a26e7-9890-6b11.jpg

So, Ive got football training tonight. And being close to season can imagine I will be doing doggys! ( aka. Running till your absolutely hanging :p )

So I will try get this in before hand, failing that, will be tomorrow.

Really like the layout you have created.

Just to be different I am not watching the mini hairgrass :lol:

Really like the contrast between the sand, the amazonia and the rocks. The planting enhances this brilliantly.

Andy

Whitey89 said:
I have been trying to look at it all morning mate, but my tapatalk keeps crashing out on your photos. I have no clue why mate.
Ive even Tried turning my phone off just to look at your Journal :lol:

Will have a look once it lets me haha.

So weird, I put them up with Imageshack. Could this have anything to do with it ?

Suppose there's better stuff on here to look at anyway haha :lol:

Hey guys,
Well as promised, The ammania sp. 'Bonsai' went in today so I therefore have a few phone shots:

c596e665.jpg

Again, as expected the plant was in really good condition, and packed. Tropica have worked wonders with these 1-2-Grow! pots.

38fe316b.jpg

Now from here on, I want your suggestions if the scape will look better without the Aponogetons, I know which one I now prefer Ian :rolleyes: Maybe when I get that tall growth, I can introduce something similar.

I have added some Blyxa Japonica behind the back left rock (cheers Hoggie!) and the ammania sp. 'bonsai' is littered about mainly at the back just peeking from behind the rock when you look up the path. Should create a nice backdrop.

PS. I know my water level is at a bad level because of floor/cabinet. This bugs the crap outta me, but when I build my ADA homegrown, this should not be a problem :D
Also, I have just been raking about so the water is a little cloudy :shifty:

Heres with the Aponogetons:

42db8836.jpg

Without:

9f7697a0.jpg

a side shot showing planting Layout (Left side) :

5b55de3e.jpg

Angled above:
5e074cd3.jpg

Above (showing planting layout) :

5596cbc7.jpg

Plants list :

Rotala Rotunifolia
Pogostemon Helferi
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'
Eleocharis sp. 'Mini'
Blyxa Japonica
Staurogyne Repens
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Cryptocoryne 'Green'
Cryptocoryne 'Parva'

And now I think I'm going to let the grow in period take place, and leave everything for about a month hopefully. Dependent on how quick everything shoots up, there is also the ammonia leech from Amazonia Aquasoil.

As for Fauna, Im going to have a look at what I want in there. I was initially thinking Rummynoses, but I dont know if they'll be too big in comparison to the scape.

Zebra Ottos are a definite yes.
I'm thinking a shrimp colony too, possibly Fire Red/Sakura.
What do you lot think?

Thanks,

647c8a0d.jpg

Re: Ryuoh lagoon - (PLANTED UP + FAUNA SELECTION)

i think the aponogetons looked good behind the right hand rock softened it a little but looks good without whichever mate its a lovely lookin tank how about microdevario nanus or microrasbora erythomicron dont know how these get on with shrimp though tanks looking really good :clap:

looking great nath, i like the idea of the apon. over hanging the scape, personally id leave it in for now and see how it delevlops as the plants grow in and cover the apon. stems...
CBS and maybe consider something a bit different?? school of norman lampeyes -Aplocheilichthys kingii once settled their eye colour really pops and have great character or think it was mentioned earlier... hachets?
think this will look great once grown in nath.. only thing id add is some larger grade pebbles and clumps of UG along the sand edge just to make life easier and stop spreading and help the transition, that and UG is a great looking plant :thumbup:
Good job pal.

Hi mate,
definitely without the aponogetons mate, they do throw the look of the scape off too much. Youll get a bit more height from the Rotala behind the right rock (which will be manageable with trimming) so that will help fill it out more and give a height balance suited to the rock layout. If you can get a 'halo' above that rock itll be spot on and also add a splash of colour too.
It looks absolutely great now fully planted and i think your right about the rummys throwing the scale too. As suggested a group of either micro rasbora, blue eyed rasbora, lampeyes or something similar, alongside a shrimp colony will look great and keep it simple and clean to look at.
Absolutely love it, great stuff :clap:
Cheerio,
Ady.

I honestly like it more with the aponogetons in and i didn't think i would tbh, the pic with them not in there just hits you bang in the face of how much space is above the rocks..... i would agree with Iain, i would leave them in for now until the rest grows in.... it may actually work pretty well once there is more plant mass.

Well, Thanks for a definitive answer guys :rolleyes: I can't be too far off the money if theres people liking both sides.. hopefully!

Right, well Ive taken all of your posts into consideration, and heres what Ive done, on the surface it doesnt look like a lot, and it's not really :lol:
But I've moved the smallest of the Apogonetons to the left along with the other one, so it doesnt look as 'Leggy' there is Ammania sp. Bonsai infront of it so soon it should fall behind them, out of sight a bit at least.

I've also had a good trim at the longest stems to stop them laying across the surface, which at the moment looks untidy. I am torn between in or out, so I will leave them in until I get really jacked off with looking at them :D

1b7f9adc.jpg

6e501974.jpg

da989fae.jpg

As far as UG goes Iain, I would like to see how the Eleocharis sp. 'Mini' Fills out as a few people are also watching to see how this plant fills out and looks. Maybe in future I'll add some :)

Fish wise, I am thinking along the same lines as you guys, some small fish in a large school.
Will make a decision after I think more into it, Wouldn't mind keeping some CBS maybe, so Harderwater Erithromicron wont be compatible. Either way, you can see I'm very much undecided :p

Again, thanks for your Replies & suggestions guys. I'm trying to keep you as up to date as it gets!

pariahrob said:
Lovely looking scape. I really like the left/right balance and the sand draws the eye in really well.

Great plant choices too. I'm going to be trying out the 1-2-grow pots as well. They look great!

Thanks Rob, I'm surprised you commented on my scape at such an important time for you :p
I've been watching both your journals, and wish I could capture some images like you!

Unfortunately iPhones all I've got! :D

Tropica pots have excited me, in the way that your promised almost growth before your eyes.
Of course the plants are of amazing quality too.

Heres to one day owning a decent SLR :)

Good luck with your new adventure,

i preferred without apons, it looks far more 'professional', however, we are not sat watching it all day, so it's totally your call mate.

well planted though, and it will look great when grown in. I must get myself a pot of that Bonsai!

Back