• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)

easerthegeezer said:
Antipofish said:
easerthegeezer said:
check out corydoras duplicareus rob ;)
I vote discus rather than angels unless altums then im on the fence :lol: discus does limit plant choice though...

Just googled these Iain, they look same as Adolfoi. Whats the catch ? Are they ten times the price or are they a cheaper alternative ?

so they do, no idea of the difference then... :crazy:

pretty exciting now mate, look forward to seeing it all unpacked.

Iain, the difference is the adolfi 'should' have a much thinner black stripe down it's back... where as dups have a nice think band..... most of the pics that come up on an adolfoi google search are wrong surprisingly enough :crazy:.

Adolfoi
0567f237.jpg

Dups
c61a800a.jpg

Unfortunately neither are suited to such high discus temps..... sterbai are a much better option :thumbup:

Wow - Looks like you've won the aquascaping lottery!

The most anticipated new build for a very long time.

HURRY UP! :lol:

Hehe, I know! It's crazy. I hardly know where to start. I really want to get going but I have to wait in for a delivery otherwise I'd be out at the quarry looking for rock. I need to pick up some more substrate too.

For now here are some more quick iPhone photos.

Here's the whole lot unpacked and waiting some action!

7561231906_f0e7f7399f.jpg

and here is the Easy Aqua regulator from AE on the FE.

7561232184_3fd81bc672.jpg

Hi all!

I've spent my evening messing about with layouts and having a ball.

I popped out earlier and looked at huge amounts of rock. I had initially thought about smooth stones but then got swayed by the idea of mini landscape but when I saw them all I had to go with these lovely cobbles. Ph neutral and with some lovely veining I think these look fab.
Cheap too. £20 for the lot and there is nearly 60Kg there.

SO I messed about with the rock/wood combo and tried a few scopes out. Here is what I ended up with. Crappy photo for now. I'll wait til I'm planted up and have water and lights before I break out the DSLR.

SO happy to get moving though. The wait has been hard!

7563675782_fb7fcce79a.jpg

Blimey Rob ! You've nailed it :) That looks awesome. The two bits of standalone manzy on the right MIGHT give more flow and widen ones perception if they were tilted to the right. The first one by say 30degrees and the second one by a bit more ? Again, just a thought :thumbup: Love the separation between substrates. Have you used anything to keep them separate ?

Actually looking at the pic again, the first one just another ten degrees more and twist the second one so that the tip is pointing to the right to maintain that perception of flow with a little more tilt ;)

Thanks Chris. You're right about the wood. The wood is only temporarily in place. I'll be removing it to get moss in place and once that's down I'll be angling them more. The other pieces will probably stay much as they are now (but with moss).

SUbstrate is supported all over by thin plastic sheeting cut into appropriately sized/shaped bits.

Oh and the small group of rocks to the right are from my honeymoon. They've been knocking around for a few years, so thought I' put them to good use!

Sand still needs flattening out and obviously lots to do but I'm happy so far. Just nice to see something in it!

Lots of substrate additives in there as well. ADA Bacter 100, penac along with some NA too.

Must go and move that light. It's very distracting.

Well at least you have a pic to make sure you get the wood back right, cos I really think apart from the two bits I mentioned, you have nailed the placement. Indulge me... go and move then like I suggested and take another pic, hehe. Go on. You know you want to :) And yeah, get rid of the light too, :p

N...ice A...esthetically!
Wood adjusted as suggested, but liking this look a lot. Unusual contrast between the harsh gnarly twisted manzy and the soft smooth pebbles :thumbup: Light coloured pebbles also help link the sand bed to the planted area, and are well sized so wont get lost when planted.
Corys will enjoy that sand.
pariahrob said:
Oh and the small group of rocks to the right are from my honeymoon. They've been knocking around for a few years, so thought I' put them to good use!
soft touch.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks!

I made an effort to get stones larger than I thought I'd need. In my 60-p the dragons tone started to get slightly swamped and I want these to stay more visible.
Yes! Sand and corys seem to go together well.

I'm going for a large HC carpet in this tank. A big foreground carpet with pockets of other plants. Some larger leafed plants around the wood, like Anubis nana and barteri. Background will be a mix of rotalas and other, undecided, stems.

Then I'll have a few odd one offs. Ill definitely have some random hydrocotyl sp too. Lovely plant and looks great with HC.

I have some plants on order, some already here an will be picking up crypts and Anubis tomorrow. More photos once I get them!

hey Rob, looks great, but just be aware, that wood WILL float, get it in soak now lol!

keep up the good work.

Andy, it is driving me mad! I'm actually holding off now a little. I'm getting everything prepped and ready. The bulbs for the lights are now all here. SOme plants are here (anubias and crypts) with more being picked up tomorrow.

Lights are due to arrive on Monday, so Monday evening is planting evening. Might be a late night!

Right now I'm trying not to do too much as it's my mrs birthday but I have done a bit. FE is set up and ready to go with the diffuser, valves and bubble counters. Filter, heater and lily pipes are all ready to go. Once I'm ready to fill I just need to take the bio media from the other filter which I've been seeding and I'm off. Should reduce to cycle a lot and I'll give it a boost with some nitrivec too.

I'm going 50/50 RO for this tank, which should be good for the fish I'm planning.

Back to the birthday girl!

pariahrob said:
Ooh. Thanks Chris. Maybe if they're around once I'm all cycled. I'm hoping that will be quick but who knows?

Oh yeah. I meant I ask you if you're doing a purigen order anytime soon.

Can do. I can get the special Seachem Purigen media bags too, so flick me a PM and I will sort it out for you.

Thanks Chris.

Well I just happened to passing the Trowbridge P@H so thought I'd pop in. I haven't been there since it was a Petsmart.

I'm impressed! A nice collection of tropic plants and a fair few tanks. All looked very clean and although they were hugely overstocked the fish all looked healthy. Good prices too. two bristle nose plecs for a tenner sounds cheap to me!

I came out with 3 echinodorus bleheri for some fast height and 3 pogostemon erectus. I was sold something for my other tank which was supposed to be this but it wasn't. This is much nicer looking.

Photos to follow.

Back