• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which calcium?

Shrimpy

I want to make my own GH booster for my snail tank and want to know what type calcium I should use? There are loads like calcium fluoride, calcium sulphate, calcium carbonate etc etc what one do I need?

I ordered calcium nitrate from Fluidsensor Online. There's a link on the forum home page in the Sponsors section but, as I type, it's not working. If it's not just me I'm sure they'll have it back up soon.

http://www.fluidsensoronline.com

Hopefully your postman actually knocks before leaving a card. I'll be collecting it from the PO later this afternoon. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and it contains exactly the same stuff as we already use, but it cost 10X what we already pay.

Cheers,

I picked some up quite cheap, mind you I was over in Germany at the time so I suppose if you count the cost of the flights, car hire, accommodation it does work out a bit expensive :lol: ;)

The stuff I got is a sort of light brown fine powder, reminds me of 'Fullers Earth' it does not look like any of the dry powders I use for EI Dosing.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,
Well that's probably because it's just a combination of Epsom Salt, any Calcium Salt like Calcium Sulfate and maybe some Iron Sulfate. These are easy to find at bulk prices and that's what the GH Boosters are all about.

Here's a tip: When these people don't list the contents of the package, it's usually because the contents are something ridiculously easy to find and to reproduce yourself. When the vendor knows that the material is either difficult to find, have complicated sounding names, is highly toxic to handle, or is proprietary then they have no problems listing the package contents.

Calcium and Magnesium are very easy to find online, at the Chemist's, or maybe even in the supermarket. All this mumbo-jumbo about "special shrimp product" is just another illusion because it's the same stuff we know, repackaged in a box having a picture of a shrimp on it and endowed with a mysterious sounding name, so it appears to be exotic and otherwise unobtainable. I'll bet the fact that it's "only available in Germany" gives it that extra marketing sizzle.

Cheers,

Yeah, no kidding. How much more popular would Epson Salt be if only it had a picture of Angelina Jolie dressed in her Lara Croft Tomb Raider skin tights on the box?

Cheers,

Oooh now there's a thought...... :eek:

Meanwhile getting back to the subject of 'Which Calcium' is Shrimpy any closer to solving his problem I wonder?

"I want to make my own GH booster for my snail tank and want to know what type calcium I should use? There are loads like calcium fluoride, calcium sulphate, calcium carbonate etc etc what one do I need?

Cheers,

Steve

Steve, did you read the linked thread I listed in the second post? It has all the information there. If something is unclear let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Cheers,

Back