• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Quick video.

Otto72 said:
Ady what do you use for water changes on the tank Seachem Prime? also do you get the water the same temps before adding?

I can't remember also are you using a RO/Tap mix with tap water for changes?

Cheers Otto ;)
Hi Otto,
water changes are done with pre prepared water the night before. Just tapwater with Nutrafin Aqua Plus dechlorinator which also eliminates chloramine too. The tap water here is 76ppm TDS so i just add about 2.5ml, give or take, of salty shrimp bee mix GH+ to get it to around 130 ish ppmTDS (currently 137 ppm TDS). I leave the drum of prepared water in the house until water change time so the temp is equalised (no heater in tank so room temperature). Tested tds pre and post water change, pre was 136ppm, post was 137ppm so stable.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Otto72 said:
thanks for the info ady, learning all the time, another nice piece of information added to the otto notepad ;)

ady34 said:
(no heater in tank so room temperature)

Sorry I forgot you wasn't using a heater, doh silly otto :lol:
No prob, getting the water to the same temperature is best really, but when i asked FWS about it i was told its best if the water you add is on the low side rather than higher if anything....personally id try to keep any variation within one degree celcius.
Cheerio,
Ady.

They are not swarming when they have enough food around. 10 shrimp in huge space they will probably never run out of natural algae and microorganism. When they molt they go to hide usually until shell hardens.

But they should not be shy and static after, healthy shrimp constantly grazing around with small breaks. If it is opposite then something is wrong with water.

FreshWaterShrimp said:
They are not swarming when they have enough food around. 10 shrimp in huge space they will probably never run out of natural algae and microorganism. When they molt they go to hide usually until shell hardens.

But they should not be shy and static after, healthy shrimp constantly grazing around with small breaks. If it is opposite then something is wrong with water.
Cheers guys,
yeah they are fine, just moulting....some seem considerably bigger now, how much do they grow after a moult and how frequntly do they do it?
Feeding continuously around, they are no longer congregating in one area but dispersing around the tank making them harder to spot ;)
I need another 20 i reckon, i can hardly even notice them at the moment..... with a bit of luck that will take care of itself in time....cue Barry White.....
Cheerio,
Ady.

Lady Gaga works better Ady. Or you could just use the 'Wiseguys' tune.

Nice video mate.

Hard to say how much they grow after molt. They grow until the point they need to molt again and again until they die :). More often they molt the sooner they die.

temp also makes a difference on molting doesn't it?? The higher the temp the more molting...due to metabolism.

Yes higher temp, faster growth, eggs mature faster, more often molting. Also sudden changes in temperature for example drop from constant 24 to 20 for day, two or three may induce molting. It is like wearing summer jacket then changing for winter fur :)

ianho said:
Lady Gaga works better Ady. Or you could just use the 'Wiseguys' tune.
Nice video mate.
Ha, ill try a few different ones out when they 'come of age' ;)

ianho said:
temp also makes a difference on molting doesn't it?? The higher the temp the more molting...due to metabolism.
FreshWaterShrimp said:
Yes higher temp, faster growth, eggs mature faster, more often molting. Also sudden changes in temperature for example drop from constant 24 to 20 for day, two or three may induce molting. It is like wearing summer jacket then changing for winter fur :)
Yeah ive read that before, and being shrewd for once, i opted for no heater room temp to get the most from them :shifty:
Recently temp has been up to 23, but down to 21.5/22 for the past few days. Ive just done a water change and temp dropped to 21.
Some of them are bigger...its not just me :)
Its bizarre, christmas moss seems to be doing well, and flame too, but pearl and weeping are just not thriving. I can see me swapping out the weeping for more chrismas and finding an alternative for the pearl too. I havnt altered the lighting yet though so will have to try that first.
Cheers chaps,
Ady.

Otto72 said:
how are they settling in now Ady?

more pics would be cool :thumbup:
Really good thanks, i was a little worried as ive found it difficult to count all 10, but last night i spotted them all for the first time in over a week....they are illusive little fellas. Growing nicely and all seems good with them. Ill try to get a few more photos soon.
Thanks for the interest,
Cheerio,
Ady.

Lol hoping they are illusive little fellas AND lasses. OR ten will remain ten ! hehe. Glad to hear all is going well though Ady :)

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....new pics.

Antipofish said:
Lol hoping they are illusive little fellas AND lasses. OR ten will remain ten ! hehe. Glad to hear all is going well though Ady :)
Ha, yeah that'd be just my luck.

Few pics from tonight, they kindly came out to play...

feb20122377.jpg

feb20122367.jpg

feb20122371.jpg

and from further away so you get an idea of how big they are now:

feb20122373.jpg

feb20122372.jpg

And a shot taken last week after the moss trim:

feb20122337.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Beautiful looking shrimp and tank, ehh.
With your selection of plants I would leave only 18w light. Everything will grow perfectly well.
In such a relatively big shrimp tank 10 CRS will thrive with no extra feeding at all also. You can treat them occasionally with a solid pellet but dont keep it to long in the tank. 1-2 hours would do. The fact they are not interested means they are more than happy as it is. And they do look like it from the vids. These pictures you are referring to have relatively high density shrimp populated systems.
Well done :thumbup:

Piece-of-fish said:
Beautiful looking shrimp and tank, ehh.
With your selection of plants I would leave only 18w light. Everything will grow perfectly well.
In such a relatively big shrimp tank 10 CRS will thrive with no extra feeding at all also. You can treat them occasionally with a solid pellet but dont keep it to long in the tank. 1-2 hours would do. The fact they are not interested means they are more than happy as it is. And they do look like it from the vids. These pictures you are referring to have relatively high density shrimp populated systems.
Well done :thumbup:
Thanks Ed,
yeah i think with 18w everything would grow well, but the colour rendition is pretty drab to be honest and with the more yellow of the hagen unit the tank looks more vibrant. The aqua one bulbs only come in 2 types and the alternative one is even bluer i think.....unless i can source different pl bulbs elsewhere. Ive raised the 18w light unit to about 15cm above the water surface at the moment.
Yeah the times ive seen the swarming has been on very densely populated tanks, probably more sparsely planted too. Ill maybe try occasional treats just to judge their hunger and ensure they are getting enough food :thumbup:

Whitey89 said:
Hows this coming along Ady mate?
Are the CRS doing well?

Thinking of getting myself some taiwan bees for my 'Ryuoh Ravine' :)
Taiwan bees sound cool, but ill have to google image them.
CRS are doing really good mate, some of them are getting pretty big now, probably growing fast due to the recent warmer weather weve been having and consequent higher tank temps, was up to 24 degrees celcius yesterday....thats the highest its been. They have been much more active in the past few days, but i suppose that goes hand in hand with warmer temps as theyll need to forage more for food to increase growth rates.
Also, dont want to speak too soon but staghorn seems to be slowly reducing with every week filter cleans and consistency of liquid carbon dosing. Im down to 25% weekly water changes, 1ml daily easycarb and half ei dosing, could prob reduce fert dosing a little more as tds is rising by about 5ppm during the week, but nothing to worry about. Plant growth rates are v. slow, but thats not a problem, just makes maintaining it easier :)
May try swapping the rotala for something else as a background though as this is at a standstill, myriophyllum or maybe ludwigia repens for a splash of colour....although rotala is supposed to be very easy so something is lacking still....c02! :lol: Really fancied some vallis nana as that would have looked great, but liquid carbon and v low carbonate water = no go.
Cheerio,
Ady.

easerthegeezer said:
hey ady, have you considered blyxa aubertii as a replacement for vals, look pretty similar but i found that it doesnt like much flow.... dunno if that would suit?
:thumbup:
ill have a look thanks Iain, maybe cyperus halferi too......

Back