• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....new pics.

tim said:
good looking tank ady ime cypres helfri needs the co2 monster, not worked out well in any of my liquid carbon tanks why not try elocharis viviparia
Thanks for the heads up Tim, wont waste my money on that one then.
Vivipara could work well :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....yet more pics.

More pics just for the crack :)

feb20122010.jpg

feb20122051.jpg

feb20122040.jpg

feb20122009.jpg

Nice shrimp Ady.

I look forward to catching my CRS again, and putting them in the new tank.

Just read through your thread and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Bought myself the Aquaonano 40 a couple of days ago with a similar idea of setting up a planted shrimp tank. Got a few ideas of how to pimp it for flow,inline diffuser, spray bar, lighting etc.... hope mine ends up as half as good as yours!

Cheers

Reg

Mark Evans said:
Nice shrimp Ady.

I look forward to catching my CRS again, and putting them in the new tank.
8)

Heid said:
Just read through your thread and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Bought myself the Aquaonano 40 a couple of days ago with a similar idea of setting up a planted shrimp tank. Got a few ideas of how to pimp it for flow,inline diffuser, spray bar, lighting etc.... hope mine ends up as half as good as yours!

Cheers

Reg
Thanks Reg,
theyre pretty good little tanks really, although i dont personally like the colour rendition of the supplied lighting bulb.
Good luck with yours.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Berried shrimp!

Hi all, came home today to I think 3 berried shrimp :D
Got some poor quality I phone shots but haven't had time to upload them.
Fingers crossed I'll have babies, better read up on gestation times to see how long its likely to take.
Any tips regards maximising the chances of the shrimp going full term and then maximising survival percentages will be greatly appreciated. For example do I just carry on as normal with maintenance and water change routines etc?
Cheers,
Ady.

Hey Ady mate,

Great news! Gestation is usually 3-4 weeks depending on temperature.
CRS have a fairly low survival rate too, but if you keep the parameters good then you should hopefully have good results!

I also believe there has to be a good amount of readily available calcium in the form of either Calcium powders or stones. I imagine you'll get on fine though :)

Good luck!

TDS important
oxygen important when berried (IMHO) I find better survival when surface of water is broken
also try to minimise or reduce water changes (10%), if its stable then leave as is.
just my hard earned lessons but know its different approach for different set ups.....

Whitey89 said:
Hey Ady mate,

Great news! Gestation is usually 3-4 weeks depending on temperature.
CRS have a fairly low survival rate too, but if you keep the parameters good then you should hopefully have good results!

I also believe there has to be a good amount of readily available calcium in the form of either Calcium powders or stones. I imagine you'll get on fine though :)

Good luck!
Cheers Nath, a month of nail biting then!
Using salty shrimp gh booster so hoping required mineral content will be covered....the shrimp in here have grown and moulted so im guessing all is well.

Whitey89 said:
Do you like my avatar? :D He's growing a little bit! Might be 7mm long now :lol:
Looks like a happy little chappy :)

nduli said:
TDS important
oxygen important when berried (IMHO) I find better survival when surface of water is broken
also try to minimise or reduce water changes (10%), if its stable then leave as is.
just my hard earned lessons but know its different approach for different set ups.....
Tried and tested advice is always the best :thumbup: water surface is being regularly broken at the moment as evaporation lowers the water level so that the spray bar aerates after a couple of days prior to water changes....I'll just ensure I don't overfill at water changes. TDS is being kept within a range of 10 during the week ( ie it raises by 10 TDS over the week prob due to ferts etc the I reset it with a water change)
Thanks for the advice :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi,
Just thought if post a little update.
3 shrimp still berried so that's good news, prob next week should start to see some offspring all being well.
Plants suffering a bit and the misses are browning from the points of attachment, most likely c02 related, but don't want to change anything at this time.
Haven't got a shot of the berried shrimp but here's a couple of others. They have had another growth spurt! Don't know if you can make it out but the shrimp in the background of this shot is a berried one.

tyva9u4a.jpg

eqevura2.jpg

Cheerios
Ady

Nice pics! hope they survive for you. I managed 6 babies out of my last batch.

Cheers Andy,
If any make it I'll be well chuffed, only 10 current stock looks a bit sparse :lol:
Fingers crossed

Baby shrimp.
Just came home tonight and spotted one tiny baby shrimp on a java fern leaf. Can't see any others yet but the female I suspect is dropping still has some....
Scratch that I've just spotted another!
Hope they survive, does anyone know a rough guide to the critical time where they are likely to make it or not? Here's the best I can do on my phone for photos:

y7ybe9uh.jpg

Same one zoomed in:

arupyne6.jpg

Cheerios
Ady

Ah, that's great news Ady, baby shrimp... they are telling you that they are not fussed with the anything in the tank setup and that your doing everything right :thumbup:

Ady,

Normally 4-6 weeks in my opinion. Just be careful with water changes at the moment. Probably lost 10+ with a poor water change (water quality).

Keep O2 levels up too and should be fine.

Ps congrats. It can get quite addictive getting them to breed. Don't get too annoyed, frustrated or upset when u lose some at some point. It can be quite devastating.

Cheers chaps,
I'll hold off for a few days on water changing and then ill be extra vigilant with temp and TDS of changed water :thumbup: I know I need to do them and keep up with filter maintenance as some of my mosses are browning at the base so will be releasing organics that need to be kept in check.... not the time for a major overhaul though.
Found at least 5 now.
Cheerio
Ady

Back