• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

pothos

Yup, it's really easy to grow just with the roots in the water. Adapts very quickly - just wash all the soil of the roots and bung it in.

Here it is growing bare-rooted in one of my nanos -

pothos.jpg

easiest plant in the world. Really hate variegation though.

Hi all,
Where can I get pothos in the uk? I cant find it in any garden centers.
Vivarium web sites, but I'm surprised you can't find it at Sainsburys or on Ebay etc.

You may be looking under the wrong name. It's proper name is now Epipremnum aureus and since it was Pothos it has also been Scindapsus aureus, try either of them, with probably Scindapsus being the more likely.

cheers Darrel

Cheers darrel i'll have a look but i'll have to put a couple of pictures on my iphone so I an recognise it better, does anyone have any they want to sell as I'd rather buy some cuttings of ukaps members than supermarkets.

variegation is a viral action (i think) i have never seen an all green pothos... probably because all the plants in the country are all clones!

darren636 said:
variegation is a viral action (i think) i have never seen an all green pothos... probably because all the plants in the country are all clones!
Ok I suppose i'll have to prune the variegated leaves then

Hi all,
If you can find Philodendron scandens it is very similar, but all green. <http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1424>.

I think the reason there isn't a green Pothos, is that the standard green/gold Pothos (Epipremnum aureum), is naturally variegated http://www.springerlink.com/content/d005p75vg1171860/fulltext.pdf.
Hung, C. & Xie, J.(2009)
Biologia Plantarum, 53:4, pp. 610-616,
"A comparison of plants regenerated from a variegated Epipremnum aureum"
In order to study chloroplast biogenesis, we chose natural variegated Epipremnum aureum (golden pothos) and regenerated pale yellow, variegated and green plants from all three types of tissue explants
Variegation often is viral, but you tend to get a mottled effect (like Abutilon pictum "Thompsonii", which has "Abutilon Mottle Virus".
Abutilon%20pictum%20Thompsonii.jpg

There is also a "Colour Break Virus" that they use deliberately in tissue culture to create variegated effects.

I've just found that a lot of variegation is now thought to be chimeral, where there is a mixture of chloroplasts that are normal (green) and mutant (colorless) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(plant)>. When cells divide, mutant/normal chloroplasts are randomly assorted into the new cells. Some cells end up with more normal chloroplasts, some with more mutant ones. I'm pretty sure this is what happens with very variegated Pothos "Marble Queen", which has very little chlorophyll and is a very slow grower, that has then been cloned from an original sport.

cheers Darrel

that is bindweed. Man i hate that stuff.... Bloody brittle underground roots that proliferate my darkest dreams....

darren636 said:
that is bindweed. Man i hate that stuff.... Bloody brittle underground roots that proliferate my darkest dreams....

Lmao, would look nice as a trailer up the wall behind my tank though.
I'll not be taking snippings of that in that case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have a look at its cousins in the ipomea range, some lovely climbers. my all time fave is bomarea hirtella -unrelated though.

Back