• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis Parvula/Acicularis

mark4785

What is the best method for encouraging either eleocharis parvula or eleocharis acicularis to spread and form what looks like a grass patch? At the moment, these plants are growing in height very quickly and only spreading at a slow rate; how would I reverse this?

Also, can either of these plants be pruned down from 8cm to 3cm with scissors and still grow afterwards?

Mark.

most people would suggest a good old trim.

darren636 said:
most people would suggest a good old trim.

So having just received some 8-9cm long Eleocharis, it wouldn't hurt them if I pruned 70% of that foilage away? I always get a bit anxious when pruning as I've pruned non-water plants before and they've died afterwards.

as long as they have roots. Food and light they should be fine.

yeah just mow it down and itll come back strong and send out more runners.
Danny said:
Re plant what you prune off
that may be easier said than done with this plant.

Ady34 said:

Are you saying the pruned segments won't grow or are you saying it is just too difficult to keep them planted in the substrate given that they have no anchor (i.e. no heavy root system to keep them down).

not sure this plant can grow in such a manner.... As it is not a stem plant

mark4785 said:
Ady34 said:

Are you saying the pruned segments won't grow or are you saying it is just too difficult to keep them planted in the substrate given that they have no anchor (i.e. no heavy root system to keep them down).

By trimming the plant down quite a lot it will encourage growth, pretty sure you can't re plant what you cut off though I don't think it grows roots like stem plants.

yeah, im not 100% sure, but i dont think it will re root.....plus it will be v. difficult to try, maybe lead weight some and drop it onto the substrate as a test to benefit us all :D ;)

these grasses do very well with liquid carbon.

Choose 1-2-Grow Eleocharis Parvula Mini. It stays compact even with 0.5W/l.

It was an earlier project this year for a TV program we did.

This taken 3 weeks with 2 tubes and no trimming. The tank is still working well without any trimming maintenance since then.

progress_report-e1338060962188.jpg

Too bad Parvula mini is heavily limited on stock at Tropica around this time.

Danny, planting the trimmed rootless trimmings won't create new plantlets, they'll just die back.

Back