• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Intensity for new 'scape

pepedopolous

Hi there,

I've used a TMC MiniLED 400 over a 60 litre cube aquarium for about 6 months and I'm about to re-scape it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience of such lights and what intensity to run them at? I found that anything above 40% increased algae growth, though I've noticed people have used even more powerful full-sized LEDs (Aquarays) over smaller aquariums than mine o_O

I have a 10X flow rate and will be using EI fertilisation.

Many thanks,

P

Hello,
You can use whatever intensity you want as long as you support the increased nutrient demand by implementing higher dosing and higher CO2 injection rate (or liquid carbon supplementation). There is no formula available to predict how much light "should" be used. The general rule of thumb therefore is that more light requires more CO2/nutrients/flow.

You did not specify what type of algae you got when you increased the light. The type of algae you got would have indicated what you needed to increase with the increased lighting. If you got any kind of filamentous algae or BBA then this would have indicated that you needed to increase the CO2 when you increased the intensity.

That is why you should always ask yourself the question: "For what purpose do I want to increase the intensity?" If there are no valid answers to this question then the lighting should not be increased because more light means more troubles and/or more work.

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg.

In the last 'scape I had BBA. It was always there on wood and rocks but got out of hand on plant leaves when I had a faulty check valve, and when a filter inlet sponge got too gunged-up.

The thing is, I only started EI fertilisation late in the scape's life but I think that towards the end I definitely had the CO2, flow and ferts sorted.

If I had T5s, or didn't have an Aquaray controller, I wouldn't have the option of changing the intensity. This time I want to grow some plants which are said to be light-demanding (HC and Pogostemon erectus).

So I guess the take home point is, providing I have CO2, flow, and ferts sorted, it doesn't matter so much whether I have the light at 40% or 100% or a 150W metal halide over the aquarium!

So I think I'll start at 40% for 6 hours and maybe increase to 50% after 4 weeks if there is no algae.

Back