• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low-tech Moss idea

Fox

I have some floor-standing plastic fish tanks (670 litre tubs used for importing fruit juices etc), and was wondering if this would work.... (there are fish in the water)

A small hydroponics tray sitting on top of the container (at a slight angle). Fed by an airpump (or maybe small pump/powerhead) pulling a small quantity of water into the tray which then trickles down over moss (I guess tied to mesh). Just a centimetre or so of water, and pretty slow flow. Room lights only, no co2, no ferts, very low tech.

I have time, and space, but sadly not much functioning grey-matter, so wondered if it was worth trying to grow some moss that way, or am I better off just leaving it in a jam-jar on the window sill?

I'd be interested to know the answer as well. :D From what others have said though it sounds feasible, let's see what the Moss experts say ...

sounds like a fun and fruitful idea. Reckon it will work. Moss will need some form of food. Maybe the fish will supply it.

The alternative would be to have it on my water-prep container. The same container but re-filled several times a week with tap water. I guess no nutrients other than what's in it already, but I've seen some people with plants in water-prep so must be something in there to find.

Thanks for that, I'd like to get some different mosses growing as currently enjoying a shrimp-keeping phase of the hobby. I already have a few (no idea what) but they've not grown much beyond the original 5cm pads they arrived on!

Back