• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Planted Tank - High Tech

wp000439i.jpg

Finally planted.
wp000440j.jpg

Filling up.

Still have Eleocharis Vivipara to plant but I think that is being delivered tomorrow. :)

looking good. The accent of the tall whispy vivipara will be nice amongst the shorter planting and the rocks.

darren636 said:
looking good. The accent of the tall whispy vivipara will be nice amongst the shorter planting and the rocks.
That's what I was hoping for :)

FTS
wp000447.jpg

Sump
wp000449.jpg

Dosing- Done automated using a Kamoer doser pump- 20ml of double strength Macro on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and double strength Micro on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Monday is water change day.

Just a small update. Not much new, got some Cyperus Helferi to go at the back. I have ordered some more Eleocharis Vivipara to fill it out a bit more, a bit more HC to fill in the gaps and a little more Echinodorus Tenellus. I have put a few Black Harlequins in and they are brilliant, I think I have put too many in, I think 10 is the perfect number but there is 14.
Growth on the Blyxa Japonica is amazing, everything else is good but nowhere near Blyxa :D
Tomorrow I am off to get my Zebras, can't wait :D
wp000457.jpg

Your going to need a hell of alot more hiding places in that tank to make the zebs feel comfortable aswell as raising the temp to at least 82-84..... that sort of temp from what i can make out isn't exactly optimal for plants.... i think you will also struggle to obtain the amount of oxygen levels required for the zebs to flourish, especially with the higher intake of co2 required. Hightech planted tanks are far from ideal for these types of plecs.

Apart from that, the scape looks like it will turn out very nice indeed :).

JenCliBee said:
Your going to need a hell of alot more hiding places in that tank to make the zebs feel comfortable aswell as raising the temp to at least 82-84..... that sort of temp from what i can make out isn't exactly optimal for plants.... i think you will also struggle to obtain the amount of oxygen levels required for the zebs to flourish, especially with the higher intake of co2 required. Hightech planted tanks are far from ideal for these types of plecs.

Apart from that, the scape looks like it will turn out very nice indeed :).
I know what your saying. I'm sure the Oxygen is in there. I have tonnes of surface tension.

I have also bought a few pleco caves which I will bury in the substrate.

It is a challenge to have both Zebras and Plants but i'm determined :D

Thanks for the compliments :)

Surface agitation unfortunately is only really relevant in non co2 tanks, the very high temps required to keep zebs means before you even start the oxygen levels are low (higher temps = low oxygen levels).... yes agitating the water can add the required levels of oxygen, however inputting large amounts of co2 counteracts it to a certain degree. I'm also presuming these fish are young 1inch fish?.... this is also going to add to the stress levels of the fish due to them being alot more sensitive at younger ages.

I wish you all the luck in the world, i would just hate to see such beautiful fish suffer unnecessarily..... goodluck and definitely get some pics up when you have them settled :thumbup:

JenCliBee said:
Surface agitation unfortunately is only really relevant in non co2 tanks, the very high temps required to keep zebs means before you even start the oxygen levels are low (higher temps = low oxygen levels).... yes agitating the water can add the required levels of oxygen, however inputting large amounts of co2 counteracts it to a certain degree. I'm also presuming these fish are young 1inch fish?.... this is also going to add to the stress levels of the fish due to them being alot more sensitive at younger ages.

I wish you all the luck in the world, i would just hate to see such beautiful fish suffer unnecessarily..... goodluck and definitely get some pics up when you have them settled :thumbup:
Putting me off getting them now lol.
I will be keeping the temp at 28, I currently run it at 27 so i'm hoping the 1 degree won't make an awful lot of difference. I am taking 4 harlequins out and re-homing them. The only stock I will have from now on is 10 Black Harlequins, 3 Otos and Zebra Plecs.

I am only going to add one Zebra at first and see how it gets on. I know places where I can get a few, I might buy one every other month and take it slow (I know they like to be in groups), I think in time once my plants are grown to a size I like I will take the co2 kit offline anyways.

LOL... no not at all mate.... I'm just making you aware of the potential risks tbh..... ive contemplated adding zebs to a hightech tank many many times but the voices at the back of my head have always put me off.... i think it's more the potential risks...but them potential risks could be fatal and with such a lovely fish, ME wouldn't actually like to experiment.... add the cost of the fish on top is just not worth it.

Unfortunately, the taking offline of the co2 isn't going to be feasible if you want to sustain plant health, especially the types of plants you have..... infact removing the co2 and the aftermath of the plants deteriorating would cause more harm to the plecs due to ammonia being produced.

All this is maybe me just being over cautious, plecs are my first love.... i keep plecs, i know plecs and i know the conditions which are optimal and unfortunately for zebs optimal makes for quite a bland tank usually (well bland in the choice of plants at least lol).

I wish you luck mate, i really do...i hope all goes well for you because IMO, there isn't a fish that comes close to being as stunning.

JenCliBee said:
LOL... no not at all mate.... I'm just making you aware of the potential risks tbh..... ive contemplated adding zebs to a hightech tank many many times but the voices at the back of my head have always put me off.... i think it's more the potential risks...but them potential risks could be fatal and with such a lovely fish, ME wouldn't actually like to experiment.... add the cost of the fish on top is just not worth it.

Unfortunately, the taking offline of the co2 isn't going to be feasible if you want to sustain plant health, especially the types of plants you have..... infact removing the co2 and the aftermath of the plants deteriorating would cause more harm to the plecs due to ammonia being produced.

All this is maybe me just being over cautious, plecs are my first love.... i keep plecs, i know plecs and i know the conditions which are optimal and unfortunately for zebs optimal makes for quite a bland tank usually (well bland in the choice of plants at least lol).

I wish you luck mate, i really do...i hope all goes well for you because IMO, there isn't a fish that comes close to being as stunning.
I agree, stunning fish. I have thought long and hard about them too. I should really set-up a dedicated tank for them but I just don't have the space. I'm changing a few things with the tank to hopefully make the enviroment more suitable for them. If I do take the co2 offline i'll be looking into some additional carbon dosing but for the next few months i'll see how it goes.

Urgghhh, I got loads of doubt in my mind about getting them now. I will look after them 100% but I want them to be happy....

Splinun said:
Urgghhh, I got loads of doubt in my mind about getting them now. I will look after them 100% but I want them to be happy....

Haha.... welcome to my world.... the thoughts you are getting are exactly the same as the ones that prevent me from having them in anything other than a dedicated tank.

I apologise mate for making your decision hard :oops:.

JenCliBee said:
Splinun said:

Haha.... welcome to my world.... the thoughts you are getting are exactly the same as the ones that prevent me from having them in anything other than a dedicated tank.

I apologise mate for making your decision hard :oops:.
Not a problem mate haha. They do need special requirements and I take it all on board.

Been reading an awful lot. Various websites, books, still very little info on them.

-Co2 won't be a problem, as long as i'm careful about acclimation

-Flow is roughly 20x turnover

-Water quality will always be fantastic

-Temp already at 82 degrees

-Additional breeding caves added next few days

-Plenty of hiding spots behind rocks and in between plants

The Conditions
There doesn't seem to be any definite science to breeding Hypancistrus zebra, so it is not always necessary to get the water parameters exact. Apart from good water, it is essential to have plenty of caves for the fish to hide, form territories, and of course spawn. The caves can be made from crevices in rocks, bits of plasic pipe - dark in colour), slate, or in my case, slate boxes held togther with aquatic silcone (cheers Des). The height of these caves should fit the male zebra snuggly, when his dorsal fin if fully extended.

A high flow rate is required, as the Zebras are used to a high current in the wild. This will also ensure that the fish are well fed. i.e. high filtration ensures the water does not become polluted.

Breeding season is thought to be around July to September - although this can be induced at any time in captivity). The zebras spawn during rainy season, which can invariably reduce the water temperature slightly. I try and simulate this by doing a 30% water change, dropping the temp from 84 to 80°C. Then I turn off the heater for about 2 hours until the temp reaches about 76. I then let the temp build back up to about 82.

Did another water change yesterday... It was a nightmare. Siphoned out 75lts to leave 25 in the display and 50 in the sump (50% taken out) Only when I put it back in it upsets the substrate.

This morning i've decided for the future i'm taking about adding 25ltrs into the sump ( Loads of space in it, can hold 125ltrs) and taking 25 out of the disply while the tanks still running. Will do it 4 times taking out a total of 100ltrs out of a 180 ltr tank after displacement however some of what I will be taking out will be clean anyway.

I will do this every Monday as its the 'Off day' of my EI dosing.

Did you get the zeb/s mate... any pics? :).

You've inspired me to do a little planted tank for some of mine lol.... will be very lowtech unlike yours...so plant choice will be restricted, no ferts or the addition of co2 and there will be more in the way of caves etc but hopefully i can get it looking ok at the very least lol.

l46's in a planted tank
i'm undecided if thats a) brave b) dumb.

Are you really willing to risk a £150 quid fish to find out if it survives or not?

pleco planet might have some advice. But then how are we going to determine success? What is their expected lifespan? for example- my white koi and other goldies are 20 years old, but some would consider that age to be young... There are too many horror stories about these and similar . Food for thought.

darren636 said:
pleco planet might have some advice. But then how are we going to determine success? What is their expected lifespan? for example- my white koi and other goldies are 20 years old, but some would consider that age to be young... There are too many horror stories about these and similar . Food for thought.

Plecoplanet will give exactly the same advise i assure you ;).... life expectancy is considered to be around 15-25 years and thats considered the age range for a broad volume of plec species.... however, ive had very healthy plecs die at the ripe old age of 5-6 years with no visible reasons...where as some in the same tank (added at the same time) are 10 years+.

There are varying reasons why the above tank is unsuitable... the most prominent one would be the lack of o2 in which most plecs need and zebs just happen to be one that requires very high o2 levels and is also one of the most sensitive plecs you could keep..... imo, it's a recipe for a disaster

BUT......

It's a risk yes, and one i wouldn't even comprehend...however, this isn't my tank, nor my money and if the OP feels he can keep them alive and thriving (thats the most important part, thriving) then i wish him all the luck in the world :).

I seem to have caused some controversy...

I didn't get them in the end. What I will do is get some L199's

I have a group reserved for me. 2 wild caught males and 3 wild caught females. I do have to travel a long way away for them though. I shall be picking them up Monday.

I'd rather have happy L199's than suffering L046's
Although I do love them and i'm sure they'll be fine in the tank if I did have them!

Back