• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (month 5)

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (week 12s)

I have a LOT of quadricostatus in this tank now. It sends off new shoots every few days, each with 2 - 3 planets on it. I usually snip them off but a few escape me. If anybody would like some I'm happy to let them grow a little, so they are more mature and then send them.
Price of a coffee and postage for a good number of plants. Let me know if you're interested.

RR

A little update on this tank. The rehomed cardinal tetras have now gone. They are feeling a bit lost after the move to my 300L. A bit of a move up the property ladder for them!

The black widows are showing themselves a bit more now. I think the tetras were dominating them a little. The CPDs are as lively and fun as always and the otos are no different. Those guys have always been lively, fun and in your face! They are so inquisitive. If I put my hand in for trimming or anything they immediately swim over and have a taste of me, just in case I'm any different and have somehow become edible.

Thanks Andy. I'll get some fresh pictures soon as well. I have the black backing in again now, rather than the wall!

Some of the planting has changed a little too. Echinodorus quadricostatus back right now instead which I think evens things out a bit better. Some of the blyxa has gone, to make way for a little hydrocotl tripartita.

Still looking nice and healthy though!

those smaller echinodorus can take over a tank.

Just spotted a little black beard on a couple of quadricostatus leaves. I've cut them out and done a water change but are there any tips for this?
I've not changed anything else recently, except remove the cardinal tetras. Could it be the heat?

pariahrob said:
Just spotted a little black beard on a couple of quadricostatus leaves. I've cut them out and done a water change but are there any tips for this?
I've not changed anything else recently, except remove the cardinal tetras. Could it be the heat?
Unsure about the heat unless warmer water is less accepting of c02 diffusion resulting in lower concentrations of c02? Would have thought it would have to be relitively long term, although the recent fluctuations may be just as guilty if this is the case.
Increased plant mass can effect flow/distribution of c02 which may cause this as its usually a c02 related algae. Guessing as nothing else changed recently that c02 is optimised, diffuser clean and bubbles still fine, dc changing colour the same and lime green at light on etc etc.... im sure you know all this but just offering it up none the less.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Sorry, I didn't reply sooner but I think you were right Ady. I think the CO2 needed upping to counter the massive plant growth I had recently.
I cut out the effected plants, as well as having a bit of a pruning session. Big water changes for a few days and I think (hope) that it is all under control now.

I now have the problem of not knowing where to go with it. Do I let it just sit and slowly mature with the odd trim here and there, or do I replant or even rescape?

I was thinking of replanting in a month or two, using just 1-2-grow plants.

Rob

(There is a small chance that it might turn into a nano reef tank at christmas too)

I'll be interested to see how you convert it to a reef setup.

That's only a small possibility right now but if I do I'll post it. I think I'm too attached to my plants right now.

Ok, so I pulled out a load of quadricostatus today. Mostly from the front left, where it was annoyingly getting wrapped around my filter intake. I've planted that area with the 1-2-grow staurogyne repens. Tank is a bit cloudy right now but when it settles later I'll get some quick photos.

pariahrob said:
(There is a small chance that it might turn into a nano reef tank at christmas too)

Nooooo dont go over to the DARK SIDE

SOrry Chris. It has to be done. She h=who must be obeyed has set her heart on some marine critters and seeing as I haven't got her the unicorn she wants I have to bow down.

Which means I will shortly be left with lots of plants. A fair amount of them will be moved to the 300L but I think there will be some left over. Keep your eyes peeled on the for sale threads. I'll be posting over the next week, when I know what exactly is happening.

To be honest I thought I would have longer but she is using my birthday as an excuse to buy some stuff. This also means that I will be moving fish into the big tank too. Upside is I'll have a very nice collection of tetras all in one place. Down side is I wont be adding any discus, as the ottos will be moving in too. That's ok though, as I think the apistos are attention grabbing enough.

Hmm, rimless ADA marine tank. Could look very nice. Berlin method I think. Keep everything clean looking. I wonder if I can persuade her it should be a planted saltwater? I'd like to try that out...

George did one I recall, theres an article in one of the PFKs I believe. There is a lot of marine algae that is fabulous !! Especially the Caulerpa spp. This might be a useful page for you... http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/al...pagation_Control_Information_and_Pictures.htm

May I advise you to avoid Mandarin Fish until the tank is VERY mature (or any of the blennies and dragonets), cleaner wrasse in any instance and blue cheeked gobies in any instance 8)

I am sure whatever you do it will look lovely.

hello

Shame you gonna strip her down, funnily enough i was thinking of crossing to the dark side.....

Check ultimatereef.com for a load of ada60p's converted to Nano Reefs.There are a couple of stunning ones. Its what i will be doing at some point as i do miss my marines.....

Andyh

Cheers for those sites guys.

I'm only partially moving to the dark side. I still love my planted tanks and the 300l will remain the focus in the house but marines are calling me back too!

Some great ADA converted tanks around. Their glass works just as well if not better for marine.

RR

Back