• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA NA Green bulb Kaput :(

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
do these often blow themselves to smithereens? Luckily the glass enclosure of the solar 1 caught all the nasty glass fragments and stopped them going into the tank. Wasnt in when it went but expect it was a sizeable bang. Off to TGM tomorrow by the looks of it :(

7776811502_e1c5a2d0a1_b.jpg
:( ADA NA Green Bulb exploded by Stu Worrall Photography, on Flickr

Bugger ! Any chance it got a splash or is it in a full enclosure ? Would you have handled it with your bare hands at all Stu (when cold obviously) as this can leave oils on the bulb which can cause this. Bloomin annoying either way though :rolleyes:

Antipofish said:
Bugger ! Any chance it got a splash or is it in a full enclosure ? Would you have handled it with your bare hands at all Stu (when cold obviously) as this can leave oils on the bulb which can cause this. Bloomin annoying either way though :rolleyes:
nah, i know not to touch them and its been in its enclosure since it was bought. its about two and a half years old so was due for replacement. Just didnt want to pay for one this month!

That sucks stu, as the NA bulb as good as everyone says??
Interested to know if anyone has found a cheaper version with matching colour temp... not prepared to drop a tonne on a bulb!!
Surely it cant be normal for them to pop like that at the end of their life though?!

Hey Stu

My dad and Bro are probably better placed to answer the MH question, but in short yes they can explode towards the end of life. Normally 2 yrs based on 7-8 hrs per day. They both have multiple MH setups and have both experienced the BANG!. Normally recommended that you replace them at 2 yrs as they loose performance.

Hope your bank balance is healthy, I remember how much they cost to replace. But they are Bitchin!!!!!! I miss mine!

Andy

easerthegeezer said:
That sucks stu, as the NA bulb as good as everyone says??
Interested to know if anyone has found a cheaper version with matching colour temp... not prepared to drop a tonne on a bulb!!
Surely it cant be normal for them to pop like that at the end of their life though?!

Yeah they are good, I really like the colour of the light it gives off and havent seen it off any other bulbs. Ideally I'd like ADA to do a solar 1 with LED's in but I'd probably need to lose a kidney to afford it!

andyh said:
Hey Stu

My dad and Bro are probably better placed to answer the MH question, but in short yes they can explode towards the end of life. Normally 2 yrs based on 7-8 hrs per day. They both have multiple MH setups and have both experienced the BANG!. Normally recommended that you replace them at 2 yrs as they loose performance.

Hope your bank balance is healthy, I remember how much they cost to replace. But they are Bitchin!!!!!! I miss mine!

Andy
Cheers andy, feel a bit better now that its common but a little less drama would have been preferred!! I just hope that TGM have some in stock now as dont fancy waiting 3 months for the next shipment :(

Back