• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Skip's 60-P

First round of shopping is done and I'm now the proud owner of an ADA 60-P. I just can't set it up quite yet as I'm on summer leave. I'll not lie, I'm itching to get it wet. Hopefully come September I can pick up the rest of the bits I need and get things moving.

Thanks for the advice on fire extinguishers guys. I've chosen to go with a 2kg bottle with a chrome finish.

I've been looking at different lighting options and once again I'm torn between a few.

On one side I'm leaning towards the Arcadia OT2 4x24W and on the other side an ADA Solar I. Is there any benefit to running one other the other? The Arcadia is cheaper which always helps but when you factor in the cost of replacing the bulbs vs the life of a halide bulb but II don't make it out to be that much cheaper in the long run. I do quite like the sound of the NA Green bulb with the Solar but at £100 a pop, it isn't that much more cost effective to buy a cheaper MH lamp and the bulb separate.

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers.

From experience, I'd up the filter to a larger EX600 with lily pipes really drops the flow rate down, if choosing again I may even be tempted to go for the much larger EX1200. EX700 might be a happy half way house...

Or the jbl e900...
Yeah, I was shocked at how much lily pipes actually imped the flow, I can't believe no one has done anything about it at the manufacturing end of it.

I did think about pushing it and going for the EX1200 as I'll have a heater on the output too but I would need 17mm lily pipes and I thought they might look out of place in a 60cm tank. I'm hoping the 700 will be enough.

Hey guys,

I haven't been around much recently but it's time to get my tank back on track. Here is my hard scape at the moment.

img0150oq.jpg

I'm not really sure which way I should head when it comes to planting. I'm torn between using all short foreground plants or using stem plants in the rear corners. I'm going to give it a week or two until planting so I can look at the hard scape more and see if there are any changes worth making later.

I've also been looking at test kits for water hardness. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Cheers.

Wow, not the most active aquarist ever :lol: how come its taken nearly 5 months from tank purchase!

Go for either heavily planted, or like landscape type planting. Trying to do 'a load of small plants with a couple of big ones in the corners', doesn't look anywhere near as good as it sounds.

So have you got all your pipes yet? Lilys ? Did you use all the 'additives' by ADA?

Best of luck with it mate!
Cheers,

Ha, working in the military can be like that at times.

I have all my lily pipes and equipment, and yeah I went for all the additives. They probably wont make a difference but every little helps. I've hardly used any too, so they should be good for a few more aquascapes yet.

I'm leaning more towards the heavily planted approach as I figure the more plants in there, the more experience I'll get with different plant types which should (he says!) work towards better aquascapes in the future.

Back