• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for good quality ADA style cabinets...???

Vito

Hi guys, I am looking for a supplier of a ADA style cabinets, I was going to buy the 90cm Do!Aqua one but TGM have told me ADA have discontinued the range and I much prefer the colour and price of the Do!Aqua models. Anyone had experience with the TGM Minimal Obelisk Aquarium Cabinet as it seems my only option but I would like some re assurance before taking the plunge. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm about to build four ada style stands. B&Q sell 1220x2440mm sheets of 18mm MDF for £17.48. I'm doing two 2ft and two 35cm stands and that will use two sheets. It's all pretty simple stuff. Just make sure you prime it well and give it a good coat of paint. I'd imagine two 2ft stands would cost around £400 for do!aqua and not a lot cheaper for TGM. These stands will cost me well under £100. Massive savings there ;)

Why not use plywood and finish with Formica? Will be cheaper, really strong and look so so nice with the Formica. I'm only using MDF because I'm going cheap. If money would allow I would go for the ply/Formica. One day ;)

Im a bench joiner, and theres loads of oak, maybe £1k worth going as spare as Offcuts.

Plus its my dads company, I guess I'm fairly lucky.

I bought the sheet last time to build my otherADA style cabinet, but normally theres bits and bobs kicking about.

Plus I can use the machinery :)

DIY all the way!! Like Wazuck says B&Q stock 18mm MDF sheet and it`s cheap as chips. Some branches offer free cutting as well. Just give them a cutting list and the hardest part is done. :thumbup:

There are technical drawings floating around the internet for a *ahem* popular brand of manufacturer which I happen to be in possession of. If you want a copy PM me. Not sure about the legalities of publishing on the forum. :D
I`m currently in the process of making mine using them and it has been a Doddle so far.

Yes most do free cutting I believe up to 8 cuts. Double check there measurements before they cut it. Then it's just a simple bit of glueing and screwing! I'm building mine at the end of this month. Then I need to build the light hangers after that. Should have 3 very nice looking tanks all ready for hardscape etc...

As has already been stated DIY is your best route. knocked mine up over a couple of weekends, 18mm MDF from B+Q went in with my cutting list and picked up everything else i needed. Two weekends later Hey presto :thumbup:

If i can do it anyone can.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DIY for me too!

I'm not a joiner or wood worker. knocked one up over 4 weekends. Used MDF (next time i will use MR MDF), sprayed it with Plasticoat. less than £100 for a 90x45x75 high.

The Green Machine are very competative though. I will stick up for them as i had several quotes from cabinet makers local to me and they wanted £600 plus.

rebus said:
As has already been stated DIY is your best route. knocked mine up over a couple of weekends, 18mm MDF from B+Q went in with my cutting list and picked up everything else i needed. Two weekends later Hey presto :thumbup:

If i can do it anyone can.

What have you used underneath the tank as matting. Hear of people painting the styrene, are their other options?

Ps superb looking stand, I am pulling together a design (based on another design from here) plan to try and get started this weekend if I am allowed. Ps anyone know if bnq do marine mdf ? (mr mdf)

Hi rebus

What have you used underneath the tank as matting? I Hear of people painting the styrene. Aretheir other options?

Ps superb looking stand, I am pulling together a design (based on another design from here) plan to try and get started this weekend if I am allowed. Ps anyone know if bnq do moisture resistant mdf ? (mr mdf)

nduli said:
Hi rebus

What have you used underneath the tank as matting? I Hear of people painting the styrene. Aretheir other options?

Roll out camping mats, yoga mats, you can use all sorts really.

DIY again!!

IMG_0242.jpg

As you can put some funky colours inside, ying and yang and all that. The green is the Ford Focus RS Green!!

I used 18mm moisture resistant MDF cut to size by a company in London. Water resistant mdf glue,screws and wooden dowls to build it. Waterprrof MDF primer and then i colour matched the paint off a photo of an ADA cabinet at B&Q. got it all done for under £100!!

Ross

Back