• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

This might sound daft but...how to clean a filter?

nry

I have a TetraTec EX600 - it has baskets containing:

Base - ceramic rings topped with sponge
Middle - Tetra Bioballs
Top - more sponge topped with filter floss

I don't use carbon.

Generally all I've ever done, approx. every 4 weeks, is take the filter away from the tank, gently squeeze the top sponge, give the filter a good shake around, empty out (plenty of mucky water), change the floss pad, then refill with either old tank water or dechlorinated water.

Should I be doing more than this, or possibly less?

Not easy to judge flow rate, or at least I don't find it too easy :)

hey, personally id say that floss should be changed every week, sponges rinsed in tank water bi weekly and the rest can go months without issue. Its pretty hard to spot flow drop off as it happens so gradually, what your doing sounds fine but the floss really is a flow blocker after a week or two.
:thumbup:

In recent months I stopped using the floss based on a few threads on here, can't say I noticed any difference in water clarity. Might keep that up.

Flow rate wise, I also have a Koralia on with the CO2 so it makes it a little more difficult to monitor plant swaying :)

When I ran tetra tecs, I rarely touched the top sponges, I focused more on just changing the floss and cleaning the mechanical rings and the sponge that is on top of those, They usually tend to be clogged with a lot of gunk.
But as the saying goes, don't fix what ain't broke. If your happy with it keep doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back