• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

80x35x45 back to the begining stages!

80x35x45 Opti White - Planted up..

Westyggx said:
Alastair said:
Looking good mate. Will look smart when the grass fills in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks pal, just want it all to grow in now been waiting a while. Big difference in growth rates from the Halide to the T5's lol but im happy im not getting stupid amounts of algae.

Also, my nerite snail has died, plus all the ramshorns Darrel gave me.. i only have one left now and its the same one i have had for months. No idea why they keep dying..

Ha ha I know mate, when I upgrade my Puddle to a 130x130 that'll be halide.
Strange about the ramshorns though as I've got tons of them in my tank. Could be a lack of minerals in order for them to grow and keep there shells ie calcium magnesium etc but I doubt magnesium as your dosing that in your ei. Are you adding the calcium nitrate still or did you stop??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 80x35x45 Opti White - Planted up..

Hi,

I've been looking at these forums for a while and want to set up and new planted tank set-up. I've had a 60cm tropical tank for over few years which has had the odd random collection of plants in it.

I came across your set-up and have been really impressed. I was wondering if you'd care to share what you bought to set this up.

I really want to get a bigger tank as I find my 60 a bit to small at times, so the 80cm sounds like a nice upgrade as I don't have space for some of the larger tanks.

In particular what lighting and filter set-up have you got there. I see that the arcadia luminaire are quite expensive and wandered if there is was good alternative.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have the following items set up on the tank.

Optiwhite tank, Cupboard (preowned from a Fluval 125 tank which had the same dimensions), Filter, All Pond Solutions luminaire which is 4 x 39W T5 (i only run the 2 bulbs 6 hours a day).

Cheers

I like those APS luminaires, the prices are superb!

Heres a current shot, got some HC and Staurgyne Repens coming soon.

2012-08-12%2021.51.58.jpg

Hi, do you have all 4 on for 1 hour a day? I read that in the how to set up a height tech tank article.

Though I do like the idea of having a moonlight bulb for the night. I currently have an led strip in my current tank which I glued in, so tempted to keep it for new one

No never used the 4 as I don't want to induce algae, happy with the current growth rate with 2 tubes.

I did mate, the repens completely melted all the leaves away, the hc is still hanging on but it doesn't help that I had to do a blackout the last three days, hoping the stems will recover and survive.

All of it died mate unfortunately, replaced it with some sp ammania bonsai cuttings. And have got some more hc on the way from Omen.

Had a complete rescape over the weekend, the original scape was pretty poor an it restricted flow a lot. Been getting a lot of BGA prior to cleaning the tank out so hoping I can keep on top of it now.

Moved the rocks to a more central position and added a spray bar for better flow.

Added glosso all over, took me forever cutting the individual stems and planting these, I wanted the carpet to grow the best way possible so took my time!

Stauragyne repens around the rocks, and I also tried putting some stems in the holes of the dragon stone so I will monitor how they grow, should be ok though if the water column is dosed sufficiently.

So here's the updated pics, will try and post a pic each week to show the development.

ubynupeq.jpg

eme2a4a4.jpg

Cheers

Back