• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants from substrate thru surface

Fox

I have some very basic shrimp tanks. Substrate: Akadama on some, Fluval shrimp Stratum on others, bit of moss and a few plants (no idea what they are but picked from a 'shrimp friendly' list), no co2, no ferts (other than bit of shrimp food/waste), and several tanks under a cheapy Hong Kong special LED light bar, sponge filters. Oh and it seems a whole load of misc snails! All 12" high tanks, some with a deeper substrate than others (subject to what I had kicking about).

Some of the plants seem to be more than happy with the basic arrangement and are growing up and out of the water. It's in a fish-room so no other half to offend, and I actually think it looks quite good. They look tall and strong, but it's getting to the stage where the plants are close to the level of the LED (a technical arrangement involving cable-ties from the shelf above).

Should I trim them back and if so, to what height. I guess the leaves get access to co2 in the air that isn't in the water. Just slightly concerned they will do less well when reach the LEDs as will be a taller, more demanding plants and anything above the height of the LED will struggle for light (I have room lights). Or of course some may head for the LED directly and run the risk of being scorched.

If cutting them back is recommended, is there a certain way/place to do it?

Any help appreciated.

stick a picture up. pruning back is ok. Just above the point where the leaf connects to the stem. This can be done to encourage multi stems too.

It's a white & blue LED, for some reason everything looks blue in the pics (taken on a ropey smartphone)

7837914036_6c451f470d_b.jpg

This seems the fastest growing - another angle

7837916138_1dc4b99da8.jpg

Another tank with a plant just coming through

7837917878_742f830010.jpg

Then this one with reddy/browny kind of leaves, some appear to be struggling a bit

7837919982_230b471ccc.jpg

looks like hydrophila to me, same as mine. should be ok to trim.

Back