• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Planted Tank - High Tech

Nice having a sump ain't it!

Regards to algae, I haven't had to clean the glass yet. All the plants and nice and healthy, dosing EI 5ml 5 times throughout the day rather than one big 25ml dose. I have a feeling that might help. I also belive the co2 is spot on!

How long do you think it should be till the algae comes?

darren636 said:
algae is not guaranteed :)
Every healthy tank will have some form of algae but, that was not my point !
The point is if the tank suffers from a nasty algae outbreak in 6 weeks time then remedial action will be required & this action could easily upset sensitive fish!!

foxfish said:
darren636 said:
algae is not guaranteed :)
Every healthy tank will have some form of algae but, that was not my point !
The point is if the tank suffers from a nasty algae outbreak in 6 weeks time then remedial action will be required & this action could easily upset sensitive fish!!
I thought this is what you meant. I really hope I don't get any algae, luckily fingers crossed so far. :D

Splinun said:
Nice having a sump ain't it!?
Yes, lots of positives but they are also very efficient as gassing off C02!
How are you dissolving & dispersing the C02?
I have now adapted my sump so that it is only just below the tank water level (lots of room behind the tank) & the trickle tower is actually a sealed unit above the tank water level.
After 20 odd years of using sumps I can assure you they work but, also state they burn gas at a hell of a rate too :?
With six tubes & a mature tank of plants combined with a sump, be prepared to replace you gas cylinder regularly :thumbup:

foxfish said:
Splinun said:
Nice having a sump ain't it!?
Yes, lots of positives but they are also very efficient as gassing off C02!
How are you dissolving & dispersing the C02?
I have now adapted my sump so that it is only just below the tank water level (lots of room behind the tank) & the trickle tower is actually a sealed unit above the tank water level.
After 20 odd years of using sumps I can assure you they work but, also state they burn gas at a hell of a rate too :?
With six tubes & a mature tank of plants combined with a sump, be prepared to replace you gas cylinder regularly :thumbup:
They are, I am slightly OD the Co2 just to get it up. I am using the JBL u402 kit. I reckon it will last maybe 2 months. I am happy to replace it that often if it must.
How often do yours last?
I keep my lights at 60% but can adjust to suit the plants. :D

In my 200lt set up, I use 2kg every 12-13 weeks, one benefit of a sump is injecting c02 straight into the return pump or even better if you have a needle wheel return pump...
Check out Toms needle wheel & sump driven tank to see what can be achieved (not by mortals though!) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17797

foxfish said:
In my 200lt set up, I use 2kg every 12-13 weeks, one benefit of a sump is injecting c02 straight into the return pump or even better if you have a needle wheel return pump...
Check out Toms needle wheel & sump driven tank to see what can be achieved (not by mortals though!) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17797
Wow, that is quite alot, I must not be dosing enough co2 then... According to my permanent co2 attachment its just right.
I had a look at that, do you know which page in that massive thread that it start? Lol

foxfish said:
If your drop checker says its good & your plants are growing with no sign of algae then - definitely leave it as it is!
Every tank is different of course but once the mass of plants increases the demand for gas will go up...
Yep drop checker has it good at the moment. I will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and adjust if needed :). Still no sign of algae, such a 'hands off' tank compared to my old marine :D

Well, my new co2 can was used up in 3 days... I went and bought another two. I have removed my bubble counter and hoping that will sort it.

Just a small picture update, still no signs of algae.

wp000480.jpg

Got the Royal Whiptails in the end... :D

wp000479a.jpg

These get pretty big, is your tank big enough for them? They already make the tank look small so I hope they are fully grown :-0

ldcgroomer said:
These get pretty big, is your tank big enough for them? They already make the tank look small so I hope they are fully grown :-0
Yep they are fully grown, they don't do much, just sit there all day, they are lovely fish though! Most books, website etc say 125 litres is enough.

skeletonw00t said:
Have they not uprooted all of the HC?!
They did (Which I expected) So I bought some fishing line and wrapped that and the HC around some slate I had lying around now they don't uproot them, though its taken the HC growing back a week or two!

In the end I had to take the Whiptails back, in the day they didn't disrupt the HC but at night I swear they had a disco, in the end I had to replant half the tank every day...

I have also sold the harlequins and having a dwarf cichlid tank instead, I have elcectric blue rams, bolivian rams, gold rams, goldeneye dwarfs and albino kribs, will be looking to add one or two more and then it'll be fully stocked.

Decided to change the hardscape after looking at some tanks on here and in magazines. I went off to Aquajardin in Gloucester and found some rock I fell in love with...

Old scape-
wp000480.jpg

New scape-
wp000489.jpg

Have 7 pots of HC coming to finish the carpet, not sure when they'll arrive though...

Back