• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sand Substrate, Plant growth

belly259

Good morning all, Currently on my new setup i have used sand as the substrate but without any soil/ fertiliser under it.

Currently injecting CO2 pressurized and dosing with Ferts, but plant growth is not really happening. Could this be because of the dense sand preventing nutrients getting into the roots ???

If so does this mean buy some soil and rescape to get round this ????

Aquatic plants absorb nutrients through their leaves mainly if the substrate is inert (which yours is) make sure your dosing and co2 are spot on and be patient!

How new is new? I always found that new plants have a 2 week settling period, after which point growth picks up noticeably.

2 sets of plants are new within 1 week. the older plants although not dying arent growing as expected.

125 ltr Tank, Fluval 305 external wi spray bar, And nano power head.

Dosing 1 t/spoon potassium nitrate
1 t/spoon Manessium sulphate
1 pinch monopottasium phospahte

day2 pinch of trace

these are alternating with 2 rest days and 30-40% wc on rest day 2.

2 T8 24W Bulbs.

5-6 hours there on for. 1 hour after CO2 they come on, go off 1 hour after.

Moss should be fine, I wonder if the tenellus is looking for more light, the T8s may well not penetrate well to the bottom of a tank that size?

Back