• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tmc Uv is it needed

jagz

Hi guys,

im about to set up my rio 180 as a high tech system , now i have a tmc v2 uv 300 unit which i have mounted in my stand but never used, and was wondering should i use it or should i just sell it, i dont mind looping it in and only using it when i need to, i also have a hydor heater and a up atomiser to link onto my filters,

what do you guys think

Ric

cheers for the reply iain,

does any one else have any views aswell

It apparently reduces the efficacy of iron compounds in ferts so it's best set the UV on a timer to only come on at night.

As for its usefulness in the tank it - UV certainly isn't snake oil, it definitely has a practical use in killing pathogens. It almost certainly results in fewer fish deaths/healthier fish otherwise public aquaria and fish stores wouldn't use them. And it really depends how valuable the fish are and if your filter is powerful enough to maintain a high level of flow with a UV inline - otherwise it could create more problems than it solves.

Since you have to change the UV light bulb every year (£20-30 a pop) I personally use it only for larger more expensive fish. For nanos and tanks 3' and less I don't bother.

Hi, lampspecs do the correct bulb for the TMC Vecton 300 for about £6 quid, so I bought a couple when I ordered some HO 39wt T5s (they were about £3-£4) so not so bad cash wise.

I've not used it yet mind, as having to dry start while I wait for the right plants but can't wait to unleash the beast.

UV filters pop up in discussions on oxygenation aswell as pathogen / algae destruction, my friend has one running on a big bioload koi pond and swears by it. Maidenhead aquatics use them on all their tanks at my local shop. I think it can generate ozone, again read this. Also read it can oxodise phenolics, organic metabolites, etc whether this is a good or a bad thing, only time will tell, probably depends on whether you believe in allelopathy / metabolic waste hindering plant growth etc. It may help generate iron available to plants by the photo reduction of Iron compounds- who knows, but sounds exciting!

I can't help but think that overall the effect is to "freshen" the water. Certainly keen to see for myself, but then again, cause and effect is a bugger to establish in the aquarium as this forum can testify to. If you've got one, turn it on and see what happens! :thumbup:

thanks to both for your replies due to a change of idea now i cant use the uv so i will be selling that one, but i do need to buy a new external filter so i will be buying a aps 1400 with the uv on it so i can use it then if i need it,

cheers guys Ric

p.s if any one is in need of a tmc v2 300 uv let me know lol

Back