• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cat litter

Danny said:
Just rinse well 5 times and that will do, that is what I did and now have plenty of fish in the main tank now all happy with it.

Really? Ive left it soaking overnight and im gonna rinse through again in a sec, but the water is still very cloudy...surely thats not good for them? And if its the filter which makes it clear, then surely the clay is getting into the filter then - and that cant be good? :?

fluffycabbage said:
Danny said:
Just rinse well 5 times and that will do, that is what I did and now have plenty of fish in the main tank now all happy with it.

Really? Ive left it soaking overnight and im gonna rinse through again in a sec, but the water is still very cloudy...surely thats not good for them? And if its the filter which makes it clear, then surely the clay is getting into the filter then - and that cant be good? :?

I rinsed mine constantly for a few days. Making sure I got my hands well in there to turn over all the cat litter and get it all thoroughly rinsed. When I added it to the tank there was still a fair bit of colour but it cleared up within 3/4 days.

It's a bit monotonous but keep at it :thumbup:

i have been using alder cones to soften my water and lower my ph
and they give a nice pleasant brown colour to the water i don't think cat
litter would lower your ph or soften your water i tested my ph
and was pretty much neutral great for a community tank i also use
almond leaves as well as alder cones and some time use sphagnum moss
peat which also gives the brown water effect as well

fluffycabbage said:
Hi folks - am really intrigued about the whole cat litter debate lol !

Im looking for a good substrate to grow plants in, because im trying to keep german blue rams, and need to reduce the amount of nitrates in my water (varies between 20-40ppm :( ) so im going the plant route. I also need to reduce the pH in my water which stand at 8.2 out the tap and about 7.6 in the tank with a few pieces of bogwood, a few plants, and a couple of indian almond leaves, playsand substrate. Using Easy-Life Easycarbo and ProFito. Its also hard-very hard (sorry dont know reading but all i know is its bloomin hard lol)

So...is there a substrate which is good for plants AND reduces pH and hardness of water?

I did consider peat in the filter, but unsure on the substrate to tackle all of the above problems!! Will prob keep some of my corys in the tank too.

Thanks in advace for advice! :D

The above is correct. Cat litter will neither soften the water nor change the pH. A proper planted substrate like ADA Aquasoil or Colombo Florabase, or Fluval Stratum or any of the others will do. :)

FLuffy Cabbage, I did a little test with some peat balls and they dropped my ph from around 8 to 6.5 overnight. Didn't get to test the hardness however.

Morgan Freeman said:
FLuffy Cabbage, I did a little test with some peat balls and they dropped my ph from around 8 to 6.5 overnight. Didn't get to test the hardness however.

How long will it STAY there though ? Be an interesting test to test it daily until water change, then change the water and test etc... I would be keen to know the results :)

Ok, well I have evidentally bought the wrong stuff judging by the concrete like substance that I have just created in a bucket.... For the record the following brand is NOT moler clay :lol: I knew something was wrong but a couple of saturday night ales and my enthusiasm combined to overrule my better judgement.

2012-09-15%2022.54.32.jpg

AshRolls said:
Ok, well I have evidentally bought the wrong stuff judging by the concrete like substance that I have just created in a bucket.... For the record the following brand is NOT moler clay :lol: I knew something was wrong but a couple of saturday night ales and my enthusiasm combined to overrule my better judgement.

Pic of the one needed earlier in this thread. All else is indeed a no no.

AshRolls said:

You can use this to make great vivarium backgrounds though ;) I did!

mitchelllawson said:
Yeh i know but im 15 and cant drive and my parent dont support the hobby and wont buy it for me :/

So they don't support you in Aquascaping but do with HOCKEY?!!

Wow Crazy World.

You sort your Cat Sh1t Dust out?

Sorry for the thread revival, but has anybody else had trouble getting hold of the 'Tesco Low Dust' cat litter? It seems to have disappeared from shelves everywhere! Even their website says it's "unavailable". Have they caught onto the fact that people are using it as a cheap alternative to other products? Will it turn up again, only to be marked up by 500%?

Doesn't look like it to me

Groceries

Well done for using google.

I've already tried to buy it online. It says "This product is currently unavailable" when it checks availability. I rand customer services, and was told that it was no longer on their system either.

Anybody used Sophisticat pink? I've been rinsing it and soaking it for 24 hours now, but theres still a faint smell of flowers. What to do?

I ended up washing it before reading this post. I found the quickest method was to was it in small amounts in a sieve and blast bater through it. The grain size is a little lsrger than I'd like, but managed to plant everything. Once the H. tripartita has grown in, I doubt I'll even see the substrate.
Thanks for the reply.

Bugger! They must have had a lull in production then,it wasn't available anywhere for a while. I went and bought 30L of plain moler clay for £11 in the end. Thats enough to fill a lion's litter tray!

Back