• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my first ever planted tank 36x18x20

gouldy149

Seedling
hi all my name is rich i have had fish tanks since i was about ten years old. for the last 4 years i have been keeping a marine tank. but as i am looking to buy my own house and with the marine tank costing quite abit of money i decided to have a change and have something that would not cost as much. so i sold nearly all my marine equipment and started buying the planted stuff.

what i have bought so far

Tank: 36L x 18W x 20H custom built all opti-white
lighting: ATI sunpower four tube dimable
filter: aqua manta fx 300
flow: vortech mp20
CO2: FE with tmc pro reg with solenoid and a do!aqua music diffuser
Substrate: ada power sand special capped with fluval strattum

last night i started the hard scape and this is what i came up with this

img0745v.jpg

img0747d.jpg

img0746gr.jpg

just have to sit down now and choose what fish i want and what plants i would like all comments are appreciated

cheers
rich

and does it really matter where you put your intake and out take lily pipes? I have both of mine in the same back right hand corner so the flow circulates.. but I suppose yours also doesn't lack flow... especially with that wave maker to the side!

You are right with the lilly pipes i tried with both on one side but just didnt look right. Im not sure on cuba as its hard to keep and this is my first time at planted thanks for the advice

HC isn't hard, you've got the CO2, lights and substrate to make it extra easy :)

yeah im planning a hc carpet for my new scape, im als going for the iwagumi style. I think you could manage hc cuba piece of p*ss if ou dont mind me saying. looks like you got the right kit so why no go for it. I know people that have grown this with less than what you have...

Good luck

hi all thanks for all the comments i have decide what plant i am having

right hand side is

glossotigma to carpet the front

staurogyne repens in between the rock work

rotola rotundifolia to give me a bit of hight and colour

left had side is going to be

eleocharis mini to carpet

staurogyne repens in between the rock work

any suggestions appreciated

started the fill today went out and bought myself some new filters and a pentek chlorplus 10 so now need for del-chlorinator

img0752vs.jpg

and a shoot of the tank nearly full

img0751rp.jpg

last thing left to do is set up my dosing unit and mount it under the tank i quick trip to b&q tomorrow should sort that out

cheers for reading
Rich

Quick update just did my first 50% water change today. Not alot has happened just waiting for the tank to cycle. Also fitted my ghl dosing pump ready for my Ei

Cheers

Personally? Don't worry about the cycle - plant and add some oto's and shrimp, then give it a few weeks and add some other fish :)

hi all just a little update finally my plants arrived so had a busy weekend seporating it all and washing every thing. then the fun bit putting it all together. also today bought 6 ottos and 6 anamo shrimp just to keep ontop of any algue when it accurs

FTS
img0767p.jpg

still waiting on the eleociaris mini to fill this right hand side
img0766km.jpg

the left hand side is all planted up. is it me or does the glussostigma look abit leggey do you think it needs more light
img0765t.jpg

cheers for look all comments appreciated
Rich

also started my EI today is it to early or should i just keep it going cheers

hi all just a quick little update tanks been running awhile now. growth is amazing everything in growing really well. did my frist 50% water change to only flooded the house a little with all that water lol. just a few pick so i can keep a diray of the growth. still no eleocharis mini yet tropica have run out 2 weeks on the trot must be really popular at the moment.

just wanted to say a quick thanks to Ed and Stuart at aquajardin gloucester for all the help they have given me over the past few months

FTS
img0783aw.jpg

img0789ej.jpg

img0788rs.jpg

img0787p.jpg

img0786hy.jpg

img0785uu.jpg

img0784xz.jpg

for a first go, this it pretty damn good. The plants looks really healthy, the scape it really very good.

have you thought about anything in the bottom right corner?

ianho said:
for a first go, this it pretty damn good. The plants looks really healthy, the scape it really very good.

have you thought about anything in the bottom right corner?

+1 :thumbup:

Maybe a bigger made uneven to the back glass could give a bigger impression of depth. I feel the white way a bit to straight to the glass, it could be great if it goes behind the rocks (that's a personal taste ;) ) A little cut will give better baumgruppe, but, i think this last sentence is useless, you should know it :D

The bottom right I have been waiting for some elocahrius mini but still waiting for it to be deilivered by tropica

I did thing about bringing the white round the rocks but then I would have lost a lot more planting room

Thanks for all the comments

I just noticed you have the back pane of glass covered with a frosted film, im glad to see this is taking on! when I build my optiwhite tanks for customers this is a option people can have and it looks great! It looks so great I actually kept 3 30cm cube nanos I built for someone and am currently building a unit for them. cant wait to show you. not only does the frosted film detract your valued light from escaping and reflects it bak into the tank but it also hides all the wall details in your house including all the wires and piping.. I dont think ill ever go back now I gone frosted film!

:)

Back