• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stubborn Algae on silicone

skeletonw00t

Hi all,

As the title suggests I have extremely stubborn green algae on my aquarium silicone.

It simply won't come off.

I have tried everything:

Scrubbing with a pad
Toothbrush
Metal toothbrush (was careful)
Emptied the tank & soaked in bleach
Vinegar

Nothing has worked... I think I need a harsher chemical! Does anyone know of anything that would do the trick?

Thanks

That's the problem with clear silicone, once it is stained it is almost impossible to make clean again. We have some near our kitchen sink - I've sprayed it with bleach and left it for days with no change, I'll be stripping it off and re-sealing next.

Tried Lime light - didn't work.

I need something stronger... something industrial

Personally, I reckon you'll never manage - I gave up in our kitchen where have we have clear silicone between the worktop and tiles - only way I can come up with now is to remove and replace the seal, which is easier on a kitchen top than an aquarium.

I dont get it though. Surely there is someway to remove it. Its basically ruined the otherwise clean tank :(

Nothing else I can think of suggesting - once the silicone is stained, it is nigh-on impossible to clean, as the stain embeds into the silicone and isn't just on the surface.

It doesn't feel like the silicone is stained though - you can feel the rough texture of the algae on it.

Just seems like really stubborn algae.

Well, either way, it is MUCH cheaper to buy elsewhere...£1 for 200ml for instance via Google.

Hydrogen Peroxide is used on wounds and the like to remove or clean organic matter.

Yeah for a few minutes it works eating away at organic matter, for example, you can use it on algae outbreaks like BBA by spot dosing.

Just turns to good old water after a few minutes. :)

Back