• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Diffusion Flow Around Tank

Stitch

Hi,

I have a large CO2 diffuser below the outflow pump of my internal filter. This does a good job of pushing the tiny CO2 bubbles along the back wall of the tank.

Everything looks good but the trouble is not many bubbles are reaching the front of the tank. Should I be using something to help push these bubbles evenly around the tank? Or isn't this necessary?

If it helps, my tank is a Juwel Rio 400 with internal pump. I believe the pump is good for 1000 litres per hour and the tank is around 400 litres.

Thanks

the best thing i have done with my vision 260 is ditch the standard filter. Mine was 1000 lph, so yours really needs to be bigger. i also have a second pump, taking my flow up to around 2000 litres per hour. i used to have my co2 diffuser under the jewel housing, so that bubbles get taken into the filter and then blown out again.

You can always get a wakemaker to help water move around in the tank. I have a 3000lph one, from All Pond Solutions in my Vision 180 (180litre), as well as an external JBL 1500lph external filter (and 600lph internal filter). I have put the wavemaker on a timer so only on when CO2 is on.

Works well, all plants are green and not seen any plants "in the corners" dying off due to lack of CO2/nutrients.

Hey stitch, your best and cheapest bet is powerheads. I would suggest you aim for around 2000lph more than you currently have and having 2 at 1000lph is more flexible than 1 larger one to find the best flow pattern. Hydor powerheads are bullet proof and well priced. There are lots of threads on the forum worth reading about flow but summarized you need a continuous pattern... back to front, circular etc with no dead spots. :thumbup:

easerthegeezer said:
Hey stitch, your best and cheapest bet is powerheads. I would suggest you aim for around 2000lph more than you currently have and having 2 at 1000lph is more flexible than 1 larger one to find the best flow pattern. Hydor powerheads are bullet proof and well priced. There are lots of threads on the forum about flow but summarized you need a continuous pattern... back to front, circular etc with no dead spots. :thumbup:[/quote that's the way to do it.

Thanks guys, i'm just now starting to find time to look into this in more detail.

So really the extra flow is to just help circulate the CO2 and EI dosing and not really to do with extra filtering?

At the moment i'm not in a position to change the filter system so will remain with the internal 1,000 lph.

Powerheads sound possible but I have a couple of concerns:
- I would not want to point these at the substrate as it would probably move it and blow the sand around
- I'm planning to grow plants close to the surface in the corners so i'm guessing powerheads would damage the plants if they grow close to them
- Are there any guides for positions? My internal filter is in the back right corner and blows out to the left along the back wall.

As i've mentioned, currently 90% of the CO2 bubbles are along the back wall.

Appreciate any pointers.

Spray bars for the win, less like a torrent for the fish and massively better flow/distribution of CO2 and the water column in general.

Thanks for the tip. I've searched a lot about spray bars and they do seem like a good option.

Would 1 long spray bar along the top of the back wall be enough, spraying water towards the front glass?

I'm probably not going to install an external filter system yet so could I run a spray bar from a pump? If so, would you recommend an internal or external one?

Finally, as the guys mention above, i'd probably need around 2,000 lph.

I am going from an external/lily pipes + Koralia to external + spray bar. Personally, I am presuming that quality of flow is as more important than quantity of flow, and to my eyes, the spray bar gives me a much more even flow than the external/lily pipes/Koralia did as well as being more gentle for the fish.

spraybars along the back are a great option, im just changing my G6 for a eheim compact. Its best to always go external as less clutter in the tank. You can diy spraybars, inlets and outlets from acrylic tube if you like as it looks tidy. I suggest the eheim 3000 for your needs, again bulletproof pumps with adjustable flow.

I will be taking off my 16/22 outlet and spray bar set up this week if you would like to buy???
IMG_2418.jpg

easerthegeezer said:
spraybars along the back are a great option, im just changing my G6 for a eheim compact. Its best to always go external as less clutter in the tank. You can diy spraybars, inlets and outlets from acrylic tube if you like as it looks tidy. I suggest the eheim 3000 for your needs, again bulletproof pumps with adjustable flow.

I will be taking off my 16/22 outlet and spray bar set up this week if you would like to buy???
IMG_2418.jpg

Iain. Pm me how much you want for that. Would be ideal for what I need mate.

easerthegeezer said:

Looks very nice but shipping to Dubai would prob cost 1000x more than it's value. :) Once I get sorted i'll DIY one. Perhaps it was your DIY thread I was looking at yesterday.

Regarding the pumps, apologies for being a noob but how are they setup?
If I go external then the pump will most likely be in the cabinet underneath the tank. I see they have an IN and an OUT. Do I just connect tubes to both of these and put them in the tank? Obviously the OUT would be connected to the spray bar but what do you do to the IN? Do you need to connect a filter or something to stop things (namely fish) from disappearing?

The tube lengths would be approximately 2m each (4m total) - is this ok?

Also, a very quick google search showed a number of complaints of noise. How are your experiences?

haha yeah didnt know you were in dubai!!
set up the same as a external filter, one inlet one outlet. The length of tubing isnt really an issue its more about the head height ie. the height it has to pump the water up, if its just in your cabinet it shouldnt be an issue unless you have a very tall tank.

Mine arrives today so cant tell you yet about noise, however i asked around on ultimate reef where they are used a lot as a sump return and get great reviews without any issues of noise (the eheim ones that is)
:thumbup:

pm'd nath.

Cheers Iain,

Any chance of updating your findings on this thread after testing?

Noted your points on the head height. I'll measure and check that out.

Any information on this:
Obviously the OUT would be connected to the spray bar but what do you do to the IN? Do you need to connect a filter or something to stop things (namely fish) from disappearing?

Does the pump come with anything?

Hey Iain,

How's that pump working out?

I'm still torn between adding a dedicated external pump to greatly improve circulation or perhaps adding an external filter for improved filtration and slightly improved circulation.

Do you have any thoughts on the Eheim Classic 1500XL (2260)? I believe it's essentially just a large bin inside and can be filled with whatever media. I'm guessing Siporax / Ceramic Rings and plenty of filter pads on top. It states 2,400 litres per hour.

Back