• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55cm 'On the sea shore'

Re: 120 x 55 x 55cm planted... Home alone

That looks like the fella.

It's down as a hill stream loach AKA hong kong, butterfly.... Great little thing at cleaning. Something i'll be adding the algae crew.

Mark Evans said:

It's down as a hill stream loach AKA hong kong, butterfly.... Great little thing at cleaning. Something i'll be adding the algae crew.

thats interesting, they are great looking little guys but was always put off as under the impression they need a 'hill stream' set up for them to survive long?? Have you had him long mark?
:thumbup:

Mark Evans said:

How big are they? Do they get very big? :crazy:

There is a massive genus of these and Mark has the right tank for these, they don't do great in high heated tanks. The do best a temperate levels, as Mark doesn't use heaters they will like it. They normally get to about 5-6cms, you can get larger ones but they aren't the ones sold regularly. Agree though they are good cleaners. They are getting a little more expensive now, i have seen them for £15 in MA.

Gee whizz Ian !!! They had them in P@H a few weeks back for £3 each.

Not been on here for a while, looking spectacular.
If I had known you were going to add Cherry Barbs, would have done you a deal. As sold 20 of them for a £5 to empty a tank.

Haven't been around much either, but things are always looking great with Mark's tanks. I really like your moss carpet, am gonna blatantly copy it in a scape I have in my head.

Thanks guys.

I've been really busy of late, and finding time even just to view the tank is difficult. When i come home, lights are off.

Here's a 6 week update. Everything is fine, and plants seem to be settling down nice.

The diffuser on the left isnt for this tank. I'm just trying out a couple of diffusers that Ian has lent me.

Still a gap on the right, but the HC is still alive and starting to crawl....quite interesting seeing that it's been 6 weeks and in the past i've had a carpet in just 2.

7955947032_3ba7487264_b.jpg
6-week by saintly's pics, on Flickr

How old is the aqua soil Mark? Being busy are you dosing ferts regularly or could this combined with old aquasoil be halting hc progress as like you say it's normally trying to work it's way up the sides of your tank and recarpeting your house by now :lol:
Looking great by the way :thumbup:

The soil is about 4 months old. I think your right Ady.

Contributing factors i can think of are...

Old soil, positioning of HC, lower light than normal, lower co2. Also, I do know that some 1-2 grow species can take a while longer to 'settle' in.

This HC still looks good, and is looking better by the day. I do think in the next week, it'll take off.

I do like the fact of slower growth.

One interesting thing I've noticed....

marsillea grows better in soil, rather than gravel. This to me shows it's a root feeder. And the stems that I've planted in gravel i.e Ammania bonsai, grows at the same rate in gravel and soil alike.

Great info to share Mark, Esp re the ammania bonsai, must like leaf feeding.

Mark Evans said:
The soil is about 4 months old. I think your right Ady.

Contributing factors i can think of are...

Old soil, positioning of HC, lower light than normal, lower co2. Also, I do know that some 1-2 grow species can take a while longer to 'settle' in.

This HC still looks good, and is looking better by the day. I do think in the next week, it'll take off.

I do like the fact of slower growth.

One interesting thing I've noticed....

marsillea grows better in soil, rather than gravel. This to me shows it's a root feeder. And the stems that I've planted in gravel i.e Ammania bonsai, grows at the same rate in gravel and soil alike.
I have noticed that when I use old AS the plants do much better with extra Iron in the water column. So I dose 0.3ppm Iron every day and everything exploads in growth. You could try it.

looks nice and healthy mate, the moss is looking great!

Back