• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The difference between atomizers and reactors?

Little-AL

Hi Guys,

Trying to figure out what equipment will be most suited to my tank to improve my CO2 circulation. The tank is approx 130 litres, quite heavily planted. Big external running a spraybar and a small powerhead also - the CO2 currently enter the tank via a small glass diffuser - this has been a massive improvement over the standard plastic thing that came with my JBL kit however I feel it can still be a lot better as I tend to get a collection of bubbles on the surface when the gas is running :(

Probably order from Tankscape as they are local and reasonably priced.... I want to reduce flow by as little as possible, so is an in-line atomizer or a reactor best for my application and what is the difference between them?

Thanks!

The inline atomizer will not affect flow anywhere near as much as a reactor. You will still get bubbles though, and the ones that dont dissolve in the water will still collect at the top of the tank. With the reactor, MORE of the CO2 is generally dissolved in the first place. If flow is an issue, you could consider a simple external pump like an Eheim Compact 2000 or NewJet 1700, and run the reactor on that.

Reactor generally dissolves all CO2 into the water with no bubbles, more efficient.

Atomiser puts out small bubbles which dissolve as they move in the water column, but they are less efficient.

i have to disagree there Nry, theres one camp that say the micro bubbles are better than actual dissolved C02.

Now you mention it...to do with higher concentrations around the bubbles whilst they are close to plants? Can't recall now :)

ianho said:
i have to disagree there Nry, theres one camp that say the micro bubbles are better than actual dissolved C02.

I second that, which is why I have now started using an in tank diffusor :thumbup:

there's a lot of anecdotal evidence around saying which one is best, there was a discussion of TBR about it, i'll see if i can find it. I'm unsure whether any conclusions were drawn from it though lol!

Thees things go in circles, one year its reactors the next it is in tank diffuser then recently we have in line atomisers - they all work if correctly set up!
I used the UP devices for 12 months or so, they work well but dont last long without maintenance & they also produce millions of visible micro bubbles.
I must say overall I much prefer DIY reactors especially for tanks over 200lt where high flow & big pipe work is needed.
However for medium size tanks, an in line atomisers & spray bar combination is very simple & very effective,

I used both a diffuser and atomizer and I have to say that the atomiser does good a better job at circulating the co2

recently I have changed to a reactor and regardless of the efficiency argument I'm glad I did. The overall look of the tank is just more pleasing IMO. If the original poster is having circulation problems its probably not the way forward, they do reduce flow a lot unless set up as suggested with an extra filter.

Thanks for your input guys - it's good to know the differences in these products!

I think I will probably switch to an in line atomiser as it will probably suit the size of tank and output of my filter a little better.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What filter do you have as JAGZ on here has one available for 12/16mm pipework for cheaper than you will buy new. :thumbup:

I generally didn't see much difference growth wise using an inline atomizer to my own DIY reactor. I have read what Ianho was mentioning about which is a better method but neither were more effective i found. Inline are good indication of circulation but do tend to rapidly change the drop checker colour much to quickly which I believe gave a false reading, read that on here somewhere will try to find it.
Reactors Generally need to come on a little earlier to allow mixing of co2 but the bonus is no bubbles in the tank. Yes they do reduce flow a lot too Depending on reactor used and filter rating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using the up atomizer for over a year and found it OK, I have just switched over to the Easy Aqua Super Mist Atomiser which I've located right under the inlet basket - I have found it sucks in at least 95% of the CO2 mist given off by this diffuser and by the time its been sucked in through my filter and back out the outlet there is very little bubbles in the water column - i looks better and the fish seem a bit happier too :thumbup:

Back